no index, no follow subsite

Hi,

I am using membership and have a private subdomain that requires registration on the network. How do I ensure that google will not index or follow this subdomain? I have the all in on SEO pack installed, but not any other SEO plugins. It is important that the posts/pages/data on this subdomain is not made publicly available.

Thanks,
cmccb

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings cmccb :slight_smile:

considering that the bot crawling your site obeys the rules in which some do not, we use SEO Ultimate which has the no index, no follow as check marks option on the bottom of each page/post in the editor.

It also has a great many more things within that we love :slight_smile:

Joe :slight_smile:

• Timothy
    • Chief Pigeon

Hey cmcbb.

WordPress does have a privacy settings:

Admin --> Settings --> Privacy

/wp-admin/options-privacy.php

Ask search engines not to index this site.
    Note: Neither of these options blocks access to your site — it is up to search engines to honor your request.

Major search engines may well respect that, but other ones may not. Content syndication could see your stuff finding its way onto other sites and then indexed in search engines.

You could stick it behind a paywall, using something like our membership plugin:

https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/membership

Our Infinite SEO can allow no follow/index on an article by article basis:

https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/wpmu-dev-seo

Take care.

• cmccb
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

Sounds good. I will install infinite SEO and mark the posts/pages as no index no follow. Also, I will set the privacy settings accordingly for that subdomain.

I do have membership running on the site, however, the way I have it set up is that the membership is free ~ only registered nonpaying users see the content. Is it still behind a paywall if I am only employing the free option? Sounds like a silly question :slight_smile:

once we answer this, I can mark this as closed....
    thanks!

• Timothy
    • Chief Pigeon

Hey again.

I do have membership running on the site, however, the way I have it set up is that the membership is free ~ only registered nonpaying users see the content. Is it still behind a paywall if I am only employing the free option? Sounds like a silly question :slight_smile:

A paywall is where you charge.

But if you are using the membership plugin to protect content, ie they have to sign in. Then it shouldn't be indexed by search engines, because those search engines won't have an account on your site.

Keep in mind though, if you rely on people finding you from search engines, the using the privacy feature may not be an option. Because you would potentially stop people googling to and finding you.

Thanks.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.