No input and text box is working on site.

No input and text box is working on site. I really have no idea. I've been trying to figure it out for 3 days now.
Just head to any page on my site like /members, try typing in the search bar nothing works and I just can't understand why.
Please help!

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello Arcaus,

I hope you're well today and thank you for your question!

I checked your site and performed a full conflict test on it. The main culprit here is the Retro Game Emulator plugin. It's currently enabled but if you disable it, all the text/input boxes will work again.

I've double-tested it on the site with all other plugins disabled. Unfortunately, the plugin doesn't include any settings that could be changed and used to avoid issues. Furthermore, knowing that this is the plugin that's causing troubles I started searching and found out that it's not only a known issue but also plugin developer doesn't seem to either care much about it or know how to fix that. Take a look here please:

https://wordpress.org/support/topic/i-cant-type-anything-when-retro-game-emulator-is-active/

In this thread, plugin author suggests that the Retro Game Emulator should be used on a page where there's no input boxes as it takes over keyboard but the "zataweb" user still confirms that even that doesn't help.

Taking all that into account, I think it would be best to look for a different plugin to replace it. If that's not possible (I assume that might be quite a rare thing, not that easy to replace) the only reasonable solution might be to actually setup an additional WordPress install (e.g. in a sub-folder, using the very same theme, so it looked like a part of the existing site) and just put the only that Retro Game Emulator there.

As for other solutions. Trying to "push" Retro Game Emulator developer a bit harder to provide solution is always a good idea, however, to be perfectly honest, seeing how he responds to the support tickets there I'm afraid it might take quite a lot of time to get him to fix/update the plugin. That being said, if setting a separate site just for that plugin is not an option but the plugin "is a must" with no reasonable replacement available, you might need to hire a developer to refactor plugin's code for you. If you want to go this way, you might want to post a question on our "Jobs & Pros" job board (please note: no WPMU DEV staff involved!) here:

https://premium.wpmudev.org/wordpress-development/

Finally, if the plugin is not that "critical" for you, probably the best solution here would be to simply disable it as it will solve the issue. It's also possible that the plugin could bring some additional issues in future as it wasn't updated for at least a year and is not even "officially compatible" with current WordPress release. So, that might be a safest way to go here.

Best regards,
    Adam

• Arcaus

I do have an alternative which in fact is several X's better, my problem is i cant seem to get it to play properly. it wont load past the option to get flash. and i have the latest and my settings set properly, https://github.com/nesbox/emulator i've tried changing the areas of the JS they say to but alas, it wont go past the "you need flash to play this" part

Oh, and Wow, you are amazing!!! I would have never thought of that as i really wanted that to be apart of my site. i suppose im gonna have to crack down and figure this Nesbox thing out

• Adam Czajczyk

Hi @kielnicholsonn!

I'm glad I could help!

As for the alternative you have. Actually, if I may suggest something, I wouldn't put too much effort into it if it's Flash-based. The problem with Flash is that Chrome got it withdrawn from the browser already and Firefox is by default blocking it (even tho it's still possible to enable it, it probably soon won't be). That's a bit of a bummer but Flash is a technology that's being abandoned and even regardless whether users (your site's visitors) want to use it or not, some of them may already not be able too and soon more and more will not be able...

Taking your site's nature into account, that seems to be very unfortunate thing. So, maybe indeed for now that "nesbox thing" might be a good "temporary replacement" but as a long term solution, I'd strongly recommend looking for something HTML5 based :slight_smile:

Best regards,
    Adam