No languages change after install/activation

I have both the Select Language at Sign-up and Languages installed. The default language is now in settings and the drop down language selector is on the sign-up form; however, selecting a language makes no change in back-end.

• antKat
    • HummingBird

Phil,
    The installation instructions for languages says:
    To install

1. Download the Languages for WordPress pack
    2. Unzip the downloaded files to a folder on your hard drive
    3. Create a new languages folder on your hard drive and add all the .mo file to your languages folder

Creating a language folder on your computer

4. Select the new languages folder you created on your computer and drag it into your wp-content folder on your site

Based on the above only instructing to move the .mo files, I did not include the .po files. So to clarify, I should go back and include the .po files to the languages folder? I thought that it was odd that I was selecting out only the .mo - but just followed directions.

• antKat
    • HummingBird

OK. Prior to getting the last 2 threads, I went back and added the .po files back in.

Recap:
    1. Changing the default at wp-config made no difference
    2. Changing at site general settings does change language at back-end
    3. New blogs with select language at sign-up; selecting language does not change the setting in new blog - it still shows English.

Do you need a different plugin to change/translate site on front-end? It really won't matter in my case because we have decided to at cometchat that provides translation on the front end. Just curious.

• Philip John
    • DEV MAN’s Apprentice

Do you need a different plugin to change/translate site on front-end?

In your original post you mentioned backend - are you trying to translate the front end or back end?

If the front-end you'll need to translate the theme as well. The steps you've taken so far *should* have translated the backend.

Phil

• antKat
    • HummingBird

Phil, I need to be able to change both front-end and back-end. I had just wondered if there was a plugin that did both. Assuming that there is not and your's is just for back-end, I still have problem.

The select language on signup is not changing the language setting for new blog. I can manually go in and change setting for new site but the select plugin is not working.

• Philip John
    • DEV MAN’s Apprentice

Hiya,

Okay I've just tried this on a completely fresh install of 3.1 Multisite and I'm not finding any issue. The language files are in /wp-content/languages as they should be and I selected my language during registration with the dashboard being successfully translated.

One of these is likely to be the problem;
    1. plugin conflict
    2. missing files
    3. incorrect file permissions or group/owner settings

You should check all of those to see if anything comes up.

Phil

• antKat
    • HummingBird

HI Phil,
    Thanks for trying to resolve this.

1. plugin conflict. I do have a lot of plugins. Should I focus on the plugins being used on sign-up? Since the language option works manually in settings, it appears that the selection on sign-up is just not changing the default in the database.

2. missing files. Please clarify. Are you referring to the files with the languages plugin? When I originally installed the languages on signup, the drop down box on signup page was not working properly and someone on your team did fix that.

3. incorrect file permissions or group/owner settings? Is this in relation to a specific file? I don't have the problem anywhere else. Except there has been an issue with TOS/Membership that Barry seems to have fixed in his beta but is now back in final release - but that was working fine in non-membership sign-up.

• Mason
    • DEV MAN’s Sidekick

Hiya,

As we haven't heard back from you we're going to assume the problem
    was sorted out and mark this ticket as resolved.

If it wasn't resolved, or you have any more questions related to this
    thread please feel free to post them below and tick the 'Mark as Not
    Resolved (re-open)' box below the post area (or else we'll miss it!)

Otherwise, thanks for using the forums, and for being a member of WPMU
    DEV, it's a pleasure to help you out and we look forward to being of
    assistance in the future.

Thanks!

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.