No New User Registration Email recieved-- users cannot register to our site

No one can register to my site, because there is no new user confirmation email being sent out. Whenever anyone registers at my site, http://www.waarba.com, they get a page that says, your account is set-up pending your response to the confirmation email. But the email never gets sent out!

I have been looking all over the back end for an email setting... but can't locate a setting. I am using multi-site, pro-sites, with ultimate facebook.

• Timothy Bowers
    • Chief Pigeon

Hey there.

Mail should be sent using PHP, so there are no settings to configure for that normally. (Unless you use a plugin to replace the default with SMTP).

Often when this happens it is due to a config issue with the hosting/PHP, so it might be wise to chat with your host.

Before doing so though, lets check for plugin and theme related issues because both can cause undesired affects sometimes.

You can do this by disabling all plugins, then activate the default Twenty Eleven theme. Test signing up.

Does it work?

If not, then have a chat with your host about mail related issues. I've also seen a couple of times where a sites email address was blacklisted so mail could not be sent. Always worth checking.

If it does then start to work, reactivate the theme and then each plugin, one at a time until the issue popsup again. Time consuming but this will tell you which one is causing the issue.

Let me know how you get on.

A plugin like the following will allow you to use SMTP instead:

http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/wp-mail-smtp/
    http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/configure-smtp/

Take care.
    Tim.

• WAARBA
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

Thanks for the quick response...

not sure if its feasible to deactivate all plugins and test new registration one plug-in at a time. WordPress reserves the email and the user name for two days, per attempt. I simply don't have enough email addresses for that drill. Would take about 4 weeks to try after every plugin. Is there a way to turn off the 2 day wait?

This is very frustrating to have so much capability and not be able to have users sign up... Called hostmonster support... they are baffled as well

• WAARBA

Ok @Timothy, I'm man enough to admit you are correct. I turned off all plugins, and turn them on one at a time... while that didnt fix the email issue, it reslolved another issue i had with my rotator not working. Adding that trick to my tool box... thanks for the lesson.

I have a support ticket into my host server for the php/email issue. Will update if that corrects the issue. thanks again.

• Timothy Bowers
    • Chief Pigeon

Unfortunately deactivate plugins is the best way to debug an issue. It ensures no conflicts are there, then building them up if it happens again it points to problem.

What did you host say about the php/mail issue?

If no other plugins or themes (apart from the default) where active then its pretty much a vanilla install of WordPress so it has to be a hosting issue, nothing else is there to affect.

Anyway, let me know how you go. :slight_smile:

• WAARBA

Was able to add my first user via the smtp config plugin. Noticed that the user only shows up in the network users are, and unassigned to any websites. Is this normal?

Also, I noticed in the network settings area, there was no info in the m
    ail settings. Could this have been the reason why my php email did not work? (see attached pic)

• Timothy Bowers
    • Chief Pigeon

Hey again.

Was able to add my first user via the smtp config plugin. Noticed that the user only shows up in the network users are, and unassigned to any websites. Is this normal?

That is correct, thats how Multisite works.

Something like our Membership plugin will let them signup to each site directly.

https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/membership

Also, I noticed in the network settings area, there was no info in the m
    ail settings. Could this have been the reason why my php email did not work? (see attached pic)

I don't believe they affect the wp mail settings. PHP doesn't require the pass or login.

Take care.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.