No Shipping Method Listed in Email or On order

OK, we received our first order and the email was sent out correctly except for the shipping method chosen by user.

So, to find out the method of shipment, I went into Manage Orders and clicked on the order and it doesn't show it in there either.

It simply gives me a selection box to choose method of shipping and to 'save' or 'Save & Mark as Shipped'. We only offer one method of shipping but it's important to know what the customer has paid for in terms of shipping and I'm not seeing it. It's also important for the email to included this information because that email is sent directly to the shipping department.

Any ideas?

• Mason
    • DEV MAN’s Sidekick

Hiya Justin,

Could we get a screenshot of what you're seeing when you select the order in the wp-admin? Obviously blur out any customer details, but I want to make sure the whole order is actually loading for you.

Does it give you the amount charged for shipping? Also what shipping method do you have enabled in the settings?

Thanks! With the additional info we should be able to track this down quickly for ya.

• Justin
    • The Incredible Code Injector

Hi Mason,

Here is the screenshot of what I'm seeing. Thank you.

More importantly, the email being sent out on completed order, should have the ship method that the customer has chosen so it can be handled quickly.

Thanks for reviewing.

• Mason
    • DEV MAN’s Sidekick

Hiya Justin,

Thanks for that. I do see where it's breaking out the shipping cost for your customer. Which shipping option do you have enabled for MarketPress?

The idea in this scenario is that you have either a flat fee or other method (such as weight) enabled for shipping.

From the screenshot you can select a method of shipping and confirmation # (if applicable) and when you select "Save and Mark as Shipped" an email will be sent to the customer with this information.

The shipping method itself isn't chosen by the customer, but by what you have setup in MarketPress>Settings on the Shipping Tab. Let me know what you've got there and we can look at this a bit further.

Thanks again!

• Justin

Hi Mason,

I don't think you're understanding so I'll try to make it as simple as possible. We use weight based shipping that should be calculated via the USPS API.

When a customer orders, they can choose one of a couple shipping methods. They can choose media mail, priority mail, or whatever method they choose. Whatever that method they have chosen and paid for, we should know about it right? If they paid for priority shipping, then I shouldn't have an option to choose the shipping method because they already have.

When the email comes in to notify me of the order, I should also know what method of shipping they've paid for, shouldn't I? If this order is being forwarded to the shipper location, shouldn't they too know what method the buyer has chosen?

In a nutshell, if I order something from my website and I've chosen and paid for priority mail rather than media mail, shouldn't the folks shipping the product know what I've chosen and paid for?

• Justin

Also:

The shipping method itself isn't chosen by the customer, but by what you have setup in MarketPress>Settings on the Shipping Tab. Let me know what you've got there and we can look at this a bit further.

Yes, it is chosen by the customer. When I place an order there's options with pricing on the shipping method.

I can choose priority mail or media mail, both with listed prices. As a customer if I choose one or the other, the email sent and the order should reflect what I've chosen rather than the shipper having to guess.

Screenshot attached!

• Mason
    • DEV MAN’s Sidekick

Hiya,

We use weight based shipping that should be calculated via the USPS API.

That's the piece of information I was looking for, thanks :slight_smile:

Yes, it is chosen by the customer. When I place an order there's options with pricing on the shipping method.

Got it. Now that I know what option you have setup, I can test it as well. You're absolutely right, you need to know what the customer chooses in order to provide them with the correct response. I'll ask the developer about this directly.

Thanks again for all the additional information.

• Aaron
    • CTO

It looks like we missed out in including a display of this choice to the store admin, definitely a needed feature!

USPS calculated shipping is relatively new so I apologize for that oversight. We'll work on getting that into the next point release soon. Thanks!

• Justin

Hi Aaron,

Thanks for updating. Am I correct in assuming that I simply need to unzip locally and ftp up, overwriting my existing files? Are there just a couple files I can upload and overwrite?

We're steady getting orders so I'll provide whatever feedback I can and once again, thank you Mason and Aaron for looking into this further and providing the update.

• Justin

Hi Aaron,

I've uploaded the beta via overwriting the files and I now see the shipping method. As soon as we get another order, I'll let you know if the shipping method chosen and paid for the by the client is included in the email notification.

Thanks again.

• Justin

Hi Aaron,

It works so far. Received two orders and all appears to be correct.

On another not, in our previous store software, VirtueMart, we were able to add a handling charge on a per order basis to make up for any faulty or incorrect calculations in shipping charges due to extra weight of packaging etc.

Can I request this feature be added: Handling charge on a per order basis. This is not something the customer would need to see, nor is it something anyone would need to see it's just a $1.00 or $2.00 handling (or any amount the store owner chooses) that's added to each order and calculated right into the shipping charge.

It's customary in most ecommerce modules or scripts. Thank you.

• Justin

Yes, please do add the handling. Using the additional per product hasn't worked and it's too time consuming. Not to mention, the one time I did add it, it calculated my total as the extra shipping cost rather than the actual shipping cost.

The extra per item could almost be removed completely IMHO because if you sell small items and they order 100 and the extra is $1.00 per item and the item costs $5.00 then the handling charge would be $100 - That model doesn't work.

Handling should be on a per order basis not per product.

Has this been added as a requested feature? Right now I'm having to go back through each and every product and pad the weight to an inaccurate amount to make up for the differences.

Thanks again, great support.

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings Justin,

Thank you for your additional feedback, it is greatly appreciated.

Right now I'm having to go back through each and every product and pad the weight to an inaccurate amount to make up for the differences.

I am sorry to see that you are having to manually deal with this item.

Has this been added as a requested feature?

It has not yet that I am aware of, but I shall officially move this to feature requests and notify the lead developer of the request for this handling feature though I can see he is already aware of it - to be sure he possibly has it on his radar.

Cheers, Joe

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.