No Supporter Widgets in Pro Sites & Other Upgrade Questions

I've upgraded from Supporter to Pro Sites on our test install and have a couple questions/concerns before touching our live sites...

1. Is there no Supporter Badge widget available with Pro Sites? Is it a separate widget plugin that I must install and download? I'm not finding anywhere to include the URL for the image file we're currently using for the Supporter badge many of our users are displaying on their sites.

2. Same thing goes for the Supporters widget which we use throughout our main site to show random Supporter blogs.

3. We don't want to confuse members so I've changed the branding of Pro Sites to Supporter but the headlines on the upgrade/info pages still read "Pro Site: Blog Name" See example at http://tripawds.net/pro-site/

4. I don't see anywhere in the settings to add an "Upgrade Message". The Checkout Page content shows for any non-pro site, but any Pro Site user who visits their account page only sees the upgrade options and checkout button with no content above that. The ability to add a message here with incentives to change their subscription plan would be a big plus!

5. I will be upgrading from Supporter to Pro Sites on a number of networks I maintain, but PayPal only allows for the creation of one IPN notification URL. And it seems that the plugin will generate a different URL for each site like domain.tld/wp-admin/admin-ajax.php?action=psts_pypl_ipn

PayPal tech support says I can use the same Notification URL on all sites, but how will that work when each site generates its own URL? I see nowhere to add or edit the IPN URL in the plugin Admin settings.

6. Same thing goes for API access. Is there any problem using the same API credentials for Pro Sites on all the different networks I upgrade?

7. Finally, I have not set up a PayPal Sandbox account. Has anyone successfully upgraded to Pro Sites without testing using Sandbox first?

OK, enough questions for now. This plugin looks like an awesome paid blogging framework, but it has honestly been the most complicated and time-consuming to update. I might suggest a little warning on the installation page about PayPal business accounts, Express Checkout, IPNs and API signatures.

Thanks again for all the hard work. Looking forward to getting this going on our live sites!

• jcnjr

UPDATE: Just some clarification about IPNs from my conversation with PayPal...

As we discussed over the phone, you can only add one URL in your PayPal accounts IPN preferences. However, you can define more IPN urls within the SetExpressCheckout API call, and any payment that has a NotifyURL defined will force IPN to send an IPN for that payment to that NotifyURL. You can also set up a single IPN listener and then forward IPNs to other listeners from that single listener we're sending IPNs to.

Not sure where I would define these IPN urls on all the different sites where I'll be upgrading Supporter to Pro Sites.

• DavidM

Hiya jcnjr,

I'll take a look with you on these items inline but if you wouldn't mind creating separate threads for the distinct items in the future it'll help greatly, as some of the these, I believe the developers will have to take a look at, namely the PayPal concerns, and it'll be easier for them to find the issues they need to look at with a distinct thread.

1. Is there no Supporter Badge widget available with Pro Sites? Is it a separate widget plugin that I must install and download? I'm not finding anywhere to include the URL for the image file we're currently using for the Supporter badge many of our users are displaying on their sites.

There's no badges currently and it would actually require a bit more work given the multiple levels in Pro Sites. I'll be tagging the lead developer on this thread so we can run this be him with that.

2. Same thing goes for the Supporters widget which we use throughout our main site to show random Supporter blogs.

We'll have to look at that one similar to the above.

3. We don't want to confuse members so I've changed the branding of Pro Sites to Supporter but the headlines on the upgrade/info pages still read "Pro Site: Blog Name" See example at http://tripawds.net/pro-site/

You can actually change the name of the page to change that, easily done by selecting to edit the checkout page as illustrated here:

4. I don't see anywhere in the settings to add an "Upgrade Message". The Checkout Page content shows for any non-pro site, but any Pro Site user who visits their account page only sees the upgrade options and checkout button with no content above that. The ability to add a message here with incentives to change their subscription plan would be a big plus!

Sounds like a great idea, we can have a look at that in specific with a feature request on that.
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/forum/feature-suggestions

5. I will be upgrading from Supporter to Pro Sites on a number of networks I maintain, but PayPal only allows for the creation of one IPN notification URL. And it seems that the plugin will generate a different URL for each site like domain.tld/wp-admin/admin-ajax.php?action=psts_pypl_ipn
    PayPal tech support says I can use the same Notification URL on all sites, but how will that work when each site generates its own URL? I see nowhere to add or edit the IPN URL in the plugin Admin settings.

The url you listed points to the top-level domain which would indicate it's not different for each site, correct? Perhaps I've misunderstood something here?

Do you mean that the domain.tld would be different based on the domain it's purchased for?

6. Same thing goes for API access. Is there any problem using the same API credentials for Pro Sites on all the different networks I upgrade?

I think that'd be the same as with Supporter. Do you currently use the same for all your Supporter-based networks?

7. Finally, I have not set up a PayPal Sandbox account. Has anyone successfully upgraded to Pro Sites without testing using Sandbox first?

I've not tried upgrade tests from Supporter myself, but I'll check with a couple of the other guys over here to see what they might know on that.

OK, enough questions for now. This plugin looks like an awesome paid blogging framework, but it has honestly been the most complicated and time-consuming to update. I might suggest a little warning on the installation page about PayPal business accounts, Express Checkout, IPNs and API signatures.

We'll definitely have a look at clarifying that once we've got this all squared away. Any added clarification here we'll get added in the installation page as well.

Cheers,
    David

• jcnjr

Thanks David. Sorry to overload this topic. I'll keep my support requests more specific in the future.

There's no badges currently...

Too bad. Guess we won't be upgrading soon. We have a number of members who are quite proud of their Supporter badges.

If anyone could provide me some guidance for an interim fix that would be great: How might I edit widget-supporter-badge.php to enable the supporter badge widget for any level pro-site? Or, at least keep it from disappearing once Pro Sites is activated.

change the name of the page to change that,

Got it! Silly me for assuming that changing the branding via the admin option would do this for me. Perhaps a brief note indicating such under that option might help.

url you listed points to the top-level domain which would indicate it's not different for each site

To clarify, I mean it appears that the URL generated will be different for every topl leven domain where we currently have Supporter installed, not sites within the network at one TLD. For instance. Upon upgrading to Pro Sites at tripawds.net, the notification url is: tripawds.net/wp-admin/admin-ajax.php?action=psts_pypl_ipn

When I upgrade to Pro Sites at tripawds dot com, that URL will be tripawds.com/wp-admin/admin-ajax.php?action=psts_pypl_ipn

We have two additional TLDs where we plan to upgrade to Pro Sites, but PayPal only allows for one IPN listener URL. It seems like the plugin should have the option to enter an alternate IPN for those of us who manage multiple networks.

API credentials for Pro Sites... I think that'd be the same as with Supporter.

The Supporter plugin PayPal payment gateway requires no API credentials, only an email address. I need to confirm there is no issue with using the same details for all networks we upgrade to Pro Sites.

Thanks again for the help...

• Aaron

1. You should be able to use the old widget in mu-plugins with no problem. It will show that badge for all levels though. I totally forgot to include that in the upgrade!

IPNs:
    If all your top level domains are on the same wp install, like with a multinetwork plugin then you could just use one of the IPN urls. But if they are different WP installs or on different servers, you will need to setup an IPN forwarder due to PayPal API shortcomings, which is detailed in this thread:
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/multiples-ipn-dynamically-setting-the-notification-url

You can use the same API credentials for multiple sites, it's just the IPN stuff above you'll need to handle correctly.

• Aaron

don't see anywhere in the settings to add an "Upgrade Message". The Checkout Page content shows for any non-pro site, but any Pro Site user who visits their account page only sees the upgrade options and checkout button with no content above that. The ability to add a message here with incentives to change their subscription plan would be a big plus!

Ya, the gateway is designed to hide the sales message when they are current.

You can either permanently hook into the top of the form via this filter (recommended):
    $content = apply_filters('psts_before_checkout_grid_coupon', $content);
    or hack this bit of code out of the paypal gateway file (won't survive updates):

//hide top part of content if its a pro blog
    		if ( is_pro_site($blog_id) || $psts->errors->get_error_message('coupon') )
    			$content = '';

Hope that helps!

• jcnjr

Thanks for checking in Aaron! A few comments...

You should be able to use the old widget in mu-plugins with no problem

"Should" being the key word... after adding widget-supporter-badge.php to mu-plugins the widget did appear in the admin of a Pro Site, but it does not show in the sidebar of the blog after being added. I confirmed the url for the image file is valid and tried a couple different themes to no avail.

After adding widget-supporters.php to mu-plugins the title of the widget does display on the front end but no sites, posts, or avatars are shown.

if they are different WP installs or on different servers, you will need to setup an IPN forwarder

Thanks for the link. We are talking about totally different WP installs here.

your reasoning sounds good to me so may add a setting to customize the current message

Oh good, because hooks and hacks and such are why I am WPMU Dev premium member. I know enough PHP to be dangerous!

If you think it may take a while to get around to this, could you please provide a little clearer direction as to where and how I might add the filter you describe?

Thanks again!