no uploads folder created under wp-content

I installed wordpress 4.1 through cpanel. I have now successfully installed a few plugins and a new theme, but I cannot upload any images. I am not using godaddy.com for hosting.

The error message is as follows:
“updatedheader.jpg” has failed to upload due to an error
Unable to create directory wp-content/uploads/2015/01. Is its parent directory writable by the server?

Can you suggest a fix? Also, is it possible to just have the media files go in a single directory and not broken down by date.

I have seen many suggestions and think that changing permissions is not right. More savvy suggestions have been made to the wp-config.php file or opening the options.php in the browser and making changes there. All of these bypass the functionality of the software which I prefer not to do!

Thanks!

Barbara

• Ash

Hello @Barbara

Welcome to WPMU community!

I hope you are well today and thanks for asking the question.

Yes, this is a permission issue (I think you are in Linus hosting). I will recommend to contact your host to change the permission and set the correct one. It could be an ownership issue too. So, they will be able to help you with just two commands.

Also, is it possible to just have the media files go in a single directory and not broken down by date.

Please go to Settings > Media and uncheck the box for "Organize my uploads into month- and year-based folders".

Hope it helps :slight_smile: Please feel free to ask more question if you have.

Cheers
    Ash

• Barbara

Hi Ash,

Thanks for your speedy response, but two items still need attention based on your response.

1) Under Media > Settings there is no box for box for "Organize my uploads into month- and year-based folders". I think this was eliminated in prior versions, but 4.1 does not have it.

2) Can you tell me what permissions need to be changed? I am the Linux administrator and I do not like to experiment with changes. Can you tell me what chmod number you recommend as well as other changes a Linus person would make? Right now the directory is set at 755 which is sufficient for installing new plugin and themes. Why permissions are needed to allow for the create and update of an uploads folder under wp-content?

Thanks so much,

Barbara

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.