Not able to communicate with Smush Pro server.

When attempting to use the plugin I get messages like:

"Sorry, we were unable to send the request, as the site was not able to communicate with Smush Pro server."

"Oh Snap! Seems like Smush Pro server is not reachable, you can try back in some time."

Prior to these messages I was receiving another that I'm unable to recreate. Also, the UI now reports that the API is not connected, where it once said that it was.

I have already opened support access in case you want to log in and take a look.

• Wes Jordan
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

For now I've network deactivated this new plugin, re-enabled the 'WP Smush.it' plugin and Revoked support access because I can't wait any longer. I'm hopeful that you guys get the bugs worked out because it would be nice to have a solution that's faster than WP Smush.it.

• Patrick
    • Support Monkey

Hey there @wesleyjordan

I hope you're well today!

Hmm, I just installed WP Smush Pro on a test network and it connected immediately to begin the bulk smush .

Have you double-checked that you are indeed logged into your WPMU DEV Dashboard? If you are not, the plugin cannot connect to our servers.

• yogasync
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hey for the record.

The image got processed, I think ? As it now says. "Already Optimized "

As indicated the image was 139 KB
    I then put it into tinypng.com and it is now 36.5 KB ( true optimization.)

Then My next attempt to try another image, to verify this result.

"Oh Snap! Seems like Smush Pro server is not reachable, you can try back in some time."

So over all I give the service an F You would think a Service from a $500 membership would work better than a free we service. well I would.

• Andre Foisy
    • The Incredible Code Injector

Hey there @yogasync,

Let's hope your day is great! :slight_smile:

Let's hope as well that, you will not evaluate your membership and the support you will get here, which is unrivaled, solely on your slight single experience of a Early Stage Newly Released Plugin barely out a few days ago. :slight_smile:

I invite you to take a good look around, try some more and ask questions at any time whenever you need it.

That said, by the way, welcome aboard.

Best regards,
    Andre

• yogasync
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hi Andre
    Yes a fantastic day.

Again a personal preference. I would expect that a plugin which appears in the dashboard urging to be installed. Would actually work, before wasting a members time, trying to trouble shoot why it is not? I spent 15 mins on it with a staff member.

Just saying, only my personal preference. Others might not mind having their precious time wasted.

Especially when it works, it doesn't actually do what it is designed to do.

• Andre Foisy
    • The Incredible Code Injector

Hello there @yogasync

Well, I'm very glad that your day is fantastic, really.

Now, I certainly understand how you may feel when one gets the impression of wasting precious time, and indeed I agree time is precious.

And here at WPMU DEV, we certainly understand that and making our members waste precious time the last among the last thing we want, so this is why when we push out new releases in the like of this, that was on the wait for a while from our members, we also care to put a note on the release thread as:

This is experimental, we really want people give it a good test run. Hammer it, test its limits, try to break it if you can! This uses our own custom built API and server, if you're already using our dashboard plugin, it's super easy to install.

SEE: New Plugin: Smush.it Pro - Image Optimisation

That way, those who have a bit of time and are willing to help to try and test things, are welcome and can even get points and win goodies, and that warns those who do not have precious time to waste, or are not willing to test things yet, to just wait a little more before getting this on a production site.

May I also invite you to check out on our guidelines on how to get the absolute best out of your membership and the support that you get with it?

Andre

• yogasync
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hi Andre

Thanks for the attention, listening helps all around.

This plugin was installed from the dashboard.

What I saw was

"Incredibly efficient image optimization for blazing fast load times." Nothing at all about "This is experimental,"

"takes amazing image optimization, and combines it with our reliable servers"

Is pretty much a standard response for this plugin after 5 attempts.

So what was in the "thread" is not something I saw.
    So it is pretty much an irrelevant to tell me post tense as if I should have saw it and it my fault that I should have tried it.

I got to this page from a Google search via the error message that wesleyjordan and posted, saying that I agree with him. I actually only logged into here at Patricks suggestion and only posted because I was logged in.

Just to clarify your asking me to come and search all threads every time I install a WPMU plugin, just in case you push a plugin to the dash board that is experimental ?

Perhaps putting BETA it in the dashboard will be helpful rather that something that is not even close to what we experienced.

• Umesh Kumar
    • Code Wrangler

hi @wesleyjordan, @yogasync,

"Sorry, we were unable to send the request, as the site was not able to communicate with Smush Pro server."

When you try to send a request to Smush API, it tries to access the site URL, if it is successful, the request is queued up and if for some reason, you've a firewall or other security measure to block the admin-ajx URL access, API throws the above error.

And we had few members, who put HTTP auth on admin and were trying to send Ajax request, which will be rejected by API, as it'll never be able to access the URL.

A firewall or CDN firewall might be blocking the access.

I can help you debug the issue.

@wesleyjordan, can you please enable the support access, so that I can take a look.

@yogasync, Tinypng performs a lossy compression, and we use lossless, that might be the reason for so much difference.

Cheers

• Jack Kitterhing
    • Code Norris

Hi there @yogasync,

Hope you're well today! :slight_smile:

We appreciate your honest feedback and I realize how frustrating it must have been to not having it working straight out of the box.

Due to the popularity, the servers were under strain when we first launched, causing some delays and in some cases them being unreachable for new requests.

Our API which handles the requests was updated, to ensure that this doesn't happen again and that it correctly queues the requests.

If you have any questions or concerns please don't hesitate to ask.

Kind Regards
    Jack.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.