Not able to get Snapshot to run

Hi

Installed Snapshot Pro and setup initially to backup files to Dropbox. Not working, so deleted snapshot and added new one to back up to local server, again nothing, even when run immediately.

Not at all sure how to trouble shoot this one - and get it working.

ideas or suggestions?

Cheers,

Fred

http://www.nomtbf.com - let me know if you'd like access.

• Michelle Shull

Hi Fred!

I just successfully took a tiny snapshot of your site, I only included the plugin folder, your .htaccess, and your wp-config.php files, so it took just a minute to do. I suspect that you may be seeing failures and error messages when you're attempting to take larger snapshots. If so, that probably means that you're running short on memory. We can fix this!

Step one, try adding this line (check to see if a similar line already exists, if it does you can just change the memory limit value.) to your wp.config.php, right after the opening PHP tag. You'll find this file in the root folder of your WP install, alongside your wp-content folder.

define('WP_MEMORY_LIMIT', '256M');

You can also increase your memory by editing your .htaccess file to include this line:

php_value memory_limit 256M

Or, if you have access, you can edit your server's php.ini file. This isn't a WordPress file, it's a server file, and if you're using a restrictive host (or are on a shared server) you may need to have your host edit this file if they allow it.

Look for a Memory limit defined, and change the line to this:

memory_limit = 256M

You may need to check all three places to see if a memory limit is already defined, change them all so they match, if needed.

Hope this helps!

• fms95032

Hi

I was able to edit both he .htaccess file and the wp.config.php file as directed.

For the all files backup, it's still not working.

I have another site, http://www.fmsreliability.com, on the same server, which is a much larger multisite and it appears to be backing up just fine using snapshot - I don't think I changed anything related to memory over there.

I'll ask the host to edit the php.ini file as I do not have access to that file.

any other ideas?

Cheers,

Fred

• fms95032

Another update, as I deleted the existing archives and snapshots and created a new one, all defaults. Ran with a screen that showed the various databases it was achieving - kind of cool. didn't show there was an archive.

Edited the snapshot to include files - and hit run now - the screen updates to show it's is scheduled then nothing - up archive, no update that it ran or not, etc.

ideas?

• Michelle Shull

Hi, Fred!

Is it throwing any errors for you? Let's turn on WP DEBUG, briefly, and see if we can see if there's something hiding from us.

Open up wp-config again, and add this line or edit it to match if it already exists:

define( 'WP_DEBUG', true );

Now try to run another full snapshot. If something PHP related goes wrong, we should see a notice of it appear on your site, all ugly like. Copy down any errors you see, then you can set DEBUG back to false.

We'll get this figured out!

• fms95032

changed the wp-debug from false to true and tried to manually run now a snapshot. Same basic symptoms of note that it is scheduled then nothing.

in the Snapshot Settings under PHP runtime information we do have this error reporting note… 32767 - E_ERROR, E_WARNING which might what is supposed to be there? don't know.

Did see about 5 messages concerning the social plugin, which went away when I deactivated the social plugin. Now to find a solution for social sharing....

Cheers,

Fred

• Michelle Shull

Hey Fred!

That E_ERROR is a fatal error that's causing things to stop, most likely due to not enough memory. That's curious, since we've made several adjustments already. Did your host take a look at php.ini?

If you haven't contacted them yet, you may want to ask if they have any restrictions on their end, and also take a peek at your server error logs. (You can usually access these from your cPanel.) Look at time corresponding to when you ran a Snapshot, there should be something in there that can help us track this down, as well.

Thanks Fred!

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.