Not able to login into my dashboard after a migration to host

I recently did a site migration from one host to another. The site looks good, but the login does not work (/wp-admin or /wp-login.php). I get a Server 500 error. I need to do some work on this site before bringing into my multisite.

I can't log in at all.

Any suggestions? Or can you recommend any articles that might help me troubleshoot? So far, the host was not very helpful. They did say they found a "hacker" file called wp-in.php in the WP Includes folder. I deleted it, but that didn't help me log in.

Thanks, Joe.

• SqueakyOx
    • The Incredible Code Injector

Hi Joe,

I guess just to start the ball rolling for the rest of the support guys in here, you might want to describe your migration process. Did you:

1. Copy & Paste method: Basically just ftp'ed the entire WP folder and SQL databases?
    2. Plugin method: Did you use a plugin to backup then restore?
    3. Server backup method: Grabbed an image from your previous webhost and ported it over?
    4. Lazy method: Get the webhost admins to copy it over?

Without a clearer background it is quite had to determine a Server 500 error as it basically means 'unable to connect'. Hence it goes something like this (and peep correct me if i'm wrong)

Client Terminal ---> Domain Name Server ---> Webhost IP address ---> webhost public_html folder ---> index.php ---> I can't find the database/Page i'm suppose to connect to!!!

So without further info, you might have to check the database details, probably edit wp-config.php and perhaps so other files just to make it work.

Happy hunting!

• Alex Stine
    • System Administrator

Hello,
    What web host are you at? Do they offer any kind of support? I sure know I would not stay with them if they could not help you fix an error like that.

4. Lazy method: Get the webhost admins to copy it over?

That is what I did. SiteGround copied everything over from 2 sites and quite a few sub domains in about 15 minutes.

Thanks, have a nice one.

• SqueakyOx
    • The Incredible Code Injector

Hey Alex,

Perhaps SiteGround is better than BlueHost that i was using, it mucked up a few of my sites - then after fixing all of them, they had the nerve to tell me i was over the 'fair use' policy on server resources and suspended my ass for 3 days!

Fair to say, i am no longer with Bluehost.

Cheers.

• Luís
    • Support

Hi @joejacobson,

I hope had been good today!

Not sure, but if your host said the account was "hacked" maybe some file was removed or changed.

I checked one of your websites listed in the "Registered Sites" and trying to access to the admin page I got and "Not found" page.

If you need, send me the FTP details of your website and I will give a look.

Please send it privately through our contact form:

https://premium.wpmudev.org/contact/

Select "I have a different question" for your topic - this and the subject line ensure that it gets assigned to me.

Send in:

Subject: "Attn: Luis Lopes"
    - Website url
    - FTP credentials (host/username/password)
    - Link back to this thread for reference
    - Any other relevant urls

Cheers, Luís

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.