Not able to target outer nav

<strike>I have changed the vnav in business feature theme to a different color by replacing the vnav.png

This css with firebug reads this

.nav {
background: url("../../library/styles/colour-images/vnav.png") no-repeat scroll center bottom #D24F1D;
}

The #D24F1D is the outer orange color but when I change that to a different color to match the green, it becomes the whole nav bar and I loose my gradient.. If i leave it orange, it stays behind the green..

So for instance if i changed the #D24F1D to #ffffff you would not see my green nav bar at all because it becomes the top layer I think.. so everything turns white.. but if you leave it to default the orange stays behind the green but I need to change it to blend with my green nav bar??

Ps... I tried changing this in the child theme css by adding
.nav {
background: url("../../library/styles/colour-images/vnav.png") no-repeat scroll center bottom #8bbc45;
}

All the css is hidden it appears in the regular theme and child theme when trying to access it so I can't just change the color there??</strike>
http://khanhtech.com/

Update
Not sure how this works with the original orange having the no-repeat but I too the no repeat out and it flowed across but it is only using the color across and not the png..
/* custom navbar*/
.nav {
background: url("../../library/styles/colour-images/vnav.png") repeat scroll center bottom #98bc3e;
}

/* End custom navbar*/