Not all images are optimized based on the Performance Report

After image optimization with WP Smush, not all images are optimized

• Nastia

Hello Eric

Hope you are doing well!

Based on the report from Google PageSpeed Insights most of the images needs to be compressed and resized

In Media > WP Smush settings please set the suggested dimension under Resize my full size images which are 1030px wide x 438px high. The image size is set by the current active theme on your site. It will resize all the images to that demensions.

There are still approximately 9000 images still un-smushed on your site. Most of the images reported in the performance test hasn't been smushed with the WP Smush. Please save the changes and start Bulk Smush again. Leave the tab open till the optimization will be completed.

Please let us know if you have any further questions.

Kind regards,
    Nastia

• Dimitris

Hello there Eric,

hope you're doing good today and don't mind me chim in here! :slight_smile:

I just accessed your website and I can still see pending/un-smushed images.

Could you please bulk smush your images from Smush settings page, keep that browser window opened until all images are smushed (this should require some extended time due to the number of images and available resized versions as shown in the "Automatic smush" option) and then re-run the Performance Report in HummingBird?

Please keep in mind that images that aren't located in your server, can't be optimised. This is for couple reported images coming from "i.cubeupload.com" and "scontent-atl3-1.xx.fbcdn.net".

Let us know how that goes!

As for the ones that also need "resizing", this is happening because you're loading images which are larger than the actual container that wraps them in your website.
    These should be re-sized (scaled down or cropped), but Smush doesn't perform any re-sizings in thumbnails, this can also be done for the original full-sized images as shown by Nastia above.
    Here's how you can resize these, using native WP image editor:
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/blog/compress-resize-images-wordpress/

Warm regards,
    Dimitris

• Nastia

Hello Eric

I trust yu are doing well!

The suggested larger thumbnail size on your site is 1030px wide x 438px high. In the WP Smush settings the dimensions set to 1030px wide x 450px high. The difference in height is not big, but the Google PageSpeed Insights detects it. Please change the height to 438 as suggeseted.

I've tried manually smushing an image but got an error that one of the thumbnails is missing :
    Could not find .../uploads/2016/04/cloverfield1-150x150.jpg

The WP Smush terminated if the thumbnails is not found and doesn't proceed to the next thumbnail. Please regenerate the thumbnails using the following plugin:
    https://wordpress.org/plugins/regenerate-thumbnails/

After thumbnail regeneration please bulk smush the images again. Please note that the images that are already optimized will be skipped.

Please let us know how it went!

Kind regards,
    Nastia

• Dimitris

Hey there Eric,

hope you're doing good today! :slight_smile:

I've splitted the reported images in three sections, as you can see below:

- Green section
    These are images that need resizing as I've also mentioned in my previous reply.

This is happening because you're loading images which are larger than the actual container that wraps them in your website. These should be re-sized (scaled down or cropped), but Smush doesn't perform any re-sizings in thumbnails, this can also be done for the original full-sized images as shown by Nastia above. Here's how you can resize these, using native WP image editor: https://premium.wpmudev.org/blog/compress-resize-images-wordpress/

- Red section
    Here there's report about some 150x225px thumbnail versions, but I noticed that these sizes of thumbnails are not visible into Smush settings

and they also have been set down to zero.

Here you can see that default thumbnails should be using 150x150px, 300x300px and 1024x1024px by default.
    https://codex.wordpress.org/Settings_Media_Screen

Please do select these sizes (don't select the hard-crop checkbox for thumbnail size) in Settings -> Media page of /wp-admin area (yourdomain.comwp-admin/options-media.php), then regenerate any missing thumbnails using the Regenerate Thumbnails plugin.
    After doing so, re-check your images in Smush and bulk-smush them (keep the browser window active until all procedures are over) and re-run the Performance Report in HummingBird.

- Yellow section
    As I also mentioned in my previous reply, images that come from external domains can't be optimised.

Please keep in mind that images that aren't located in your server, can't be optimised. This is for couple reported images coming from "i.cubeupload.com" and "scontent-atl3-1.xx.fbcdn.net".

Let us know how that goes! :slight_smile:

Take care,
    Dimitris

• Dimitris

Hello there Eric,

hope you're doing good today! :slight_smile:

I've inspected your website once more and I can see that there're still some images that needs resizing. For these, you should inspect your website with a tool like Chrome's DevTools, find the proper dimensions that should have, then resize them using native WP image editor or any other image editing software.

As for images with a thumbnail of 150x225px, as long as these thumbnails didn't caught up by Smush (even though I can still see pending un-smushed images), I presume that these dimensions are coming hard-coded in the "Gallery by Supsystic" plugin that you're using.

So instead of creating a new post thumbnail size like this
    add_image_size( 'custom-thumb', 150, 225 );
    Ref: https://codex.wordpress.org/Post_Thumbnails#Add_New_Post_Thumbnail_Sizes

and use it later on in the templates, most probably it's creating these images hard-coded like that:
    the_post_thumbnail( array(150, 225) );
    Ref: https://developer.wordpress.org/reference/functions/the_post_thumbnail/

In order to surpass that, you should inspect plugin's code to double check that this is the case here, then contact plugin author so he/they could resolve this in a future update.

Warm regards,
    Dimitris

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.