not clear how a person signs up to receive my recent posts or changes to site content.

Please explain in detail where I go to create a sign-up form and how I get it to show up on my website. Thanks.

• Earl

I have looked through all of the instructions and cannot see where it addresses my questions. That's why I wrote for help. Perhaps the explanation is not clear, perhaps I am misunderstanding, or expect it to be called something else-- whatever the reason, I need someone to explicitly point out exactly where to look and what to do. Just referring me to the instructions I have already read is not of help to me. Please respond as requested.

• PC

Hello there @Earl

Thanks for posting back and for adding your vote. I will see how I can improve my responses to be more helpful in future

However it was not clear that you did follow the instructions in your first post and that is the reason I suggested you to do that.

A person can signup for your posts 2 easy ways

1: Using the bottom floating subscription panel

2: Sidebar widget

So first of all, did you enable the Follow button in the Subscribe by email settings ?

It should be here :

Subscriptions >> Settings >> Follow Button

Can you provide me a screenshot of that page ?

Secondly, did you use a sidebar widget via Appearance >> Widgets ?

There is a widget named "Subscribe by email" which you can put in one of the sidebars and using that the visitors can subscribe to your posts.

Did you already do that ? If yes, can you provide me a screenshot of the Appearance >> Widgets screen as well ?

Please advise so that we can get this sorted for you.

Cheers, PC

• Earl

I did not enable the Follow button for 3 reasons:

First, "Follow Button" sounds like a FB or G+ kind of thing. It in no way implies a Subscribe option. I suggest you consider renaming it because that is not at all intuitive... or at least provide a better description on the settings page of what the option does.

Second, I did not select it as it indicates that it will "place a a follow button permanently in the bottom right of your site." I don't want it to appear there and am looking for an option to place the button wherever I choose.

Third, I was expecting a small form like the red one in the side bar of this page where visitors enter their email address and click subscribe. That is not a "button" to me... it's a simple form. Again, it's confusing and likely misnamed.

I did not use a sidebar widget as I do not have a side bar on my site.

I need a solution that allows me to:
    1) place a small form in a container at a location of my choosing;
    2) allows me to add a customized message
    3) allows me to place a graphic for the background (not a solid color)
    4) allows me to customize the size
    5) has a single field form for submission of email address.

Can this plugin do that?

Thank you.

• PC

Hey there,

Thanks for posting back.

First, "Follow Button" sounds like a FB or G+ kind of thing. It in no way implies a Subscribe option. I suggest you consider renaming it because that is not at all intuitive... or at least provide a better description on the settings page of what the option does.

Thanks for the suggestion. I have forwarded this to our lead developer @Ignacio however generally emails subscriptions are known as "Follow the blog" and that is the reason its named as such. If you want to change it, it can easily be done using the plugin language files. Just change that in the language file and job done.

We will see if it can be provided as an option to label the follow button to something of users choice in a future release. You have my +1 on that idea.

Second, I did not select it as it indicates that it will "place a a follow button permanently in the bottom right of your site." I don't want it to appear there and am looking for an option to place the button wherever I choose.

Unfortunately its only sitewide at the moment. So it can not be chosen on which place you want that to appear and on which place you don't. Perhaps something to discuss about as a "Feature Request"

Third, I was expecting a small form like the red one in the side bar of this page where visitors enter their email address and click subscribe. That is not a "button" to me... it's a simple form. Again, it's confusing and likely misnamed.

It does not provide a subscription form on a page at the moment. If however you want to put that on a page, its pretty simple.

Just install the plugin here : http://wordpress.org/plugins/widgetize-pages-light/

Create a new sidebar area in the plugin Via Dashboard >> Widgetize pages >> Add sidebar

Then go to Appearance >> Widgets and you will see the new widget area you just created.

Add "Subscribe by Email widget" to that sidebar area

Then add the sidebar you created in the Widgetize pages plugin to whatever page/post/template you like.

Example shortcode : [otw_is sidebar=otw-sidebar-1]

I just tested that here for you : http://wpwd.in/testing-subscription-form-on-pages/ and it works fine.

You can then use your own Custom CSS to get any background you like.

Cheers, PC

• Earl

Thanks for all the helpful information. I'm still confused about one thing...

You say that "It does not provide a subscription form on a page at the moment. If however you want to put that on a page, its pretty simple." If that's the case, what is the red form to submit the visitor's email address that I see in the side bar of this page and is used as the visual for promoting this plugin on your plugin page? If it doesn't create a form like that, then why would you show that visual?

Thanks.

• PC

Hey there Earl,

Thanks for posting back.

If that's the case, what is the red form to submit the visitor's email address that I see in the side bar of this page and is used as the visual for promoting this plugin on your plugin page?

You have a good point there. That is a plugin cover image designed to say what the plugin does more like a symbol or a logo we can say.

However achieving that effect is not too hard. If you have added the widget to the page as I described above, a little CSS love can achieve you that effect. Just as I did on my page and here is a screenshot.

I can happily have a look at your site if you can add that widget to a page and suggest you the CSS to achive the desired effects

Cheers, PC