Not getting e mail notifications of bookings

Hello,

A couple weeks ago I was having all of my notifications of appointment requests being sent to SPAM. I created a filter to have them sent back to my inbox and it worked for a week or so. That's all stopped, I'm no longer getting notified when there's a request for an appointment, so I have to manually check "pending appointments" throughout the day. And clients are not receiving the confirmation e mail from me either, so I'm having to manually e mail them as well.

Could you please advise?

Thanks

• Adam Czajczyk

Hey Droughan,

I hope you're well today and thank you for your question!

I believe you're referring to our Appointments+ plugin, am I correct? Have you performed any updates or changes (like additional plugins installation) to your site recently? Please advise.

Also, please go to your "Appointments" -> "Settings" -> "General" page, scroll down a bit and check if the "Auto confirm" option is set to "Yes". Switch it on if it's disabled.

Also, I remember we're referring to a WP SMTP plugin. If you haven't installed it yet, please give it a try!

https://wordpress.org/plugins/easy-wp-smtp/

It it still doesn't help, please make sure that you're using WP SMTP plugin and you're using an e-mail address in a domain that matches your site's domain as a "From" e-mail. For some servers this is a big deal because of the security issues.

Let me know if it helped!

Regards,
    Adam

• Droughan

Adam,

It wasn't set to "yes" so requests go to "active appointments" as opposed to having to wait for me to approve them but there's still no notification being sent. I just did a test.

As far as the plug in goes, like I said before it's beyond my abilities and again I was wondering if I can grant you access to install it?

As far as the WP SMTP plug in, again I'm not sure how to check for that, I'd gladly grant you access to look at it. I'd assume the e mail address is sufficient because it worked before.

Thanks

• Adam Czajczyk

Hey @Droughan,

I hope you're well today!

As far as the plug in goes, like I said before it's beyond my abilities and again I was wondering if I can grant you access to install it?

I understand this, however it's not that different that installing other plugins. Given access to your dashboard, I can of course install it for you. The only thing is however that you'll still have to provide the plugin with your mail account details. I will gladly provide you with the instruction though.

And please don't take days to get back to me please. I've noticed that I'll get responses to my initial ticket and then wait very long for a follow up.

This might be a bit confusing, sure. This is because every new thread is instantly submitted to me or one of my colleagues. Answered, it goes to to the queue. Please understand though, that we're dealing with various - sometimes very simple, sometimes very complex and usually everything in-between - questions from the members of our community. That being said, we work through the queue in the "reverse" order: oldest threads first, newest next. That said, posting an additional post in an attempt to "speed things up" results in system automatically putting the thread again at the end of the queue - so it takes a longer time to answer.

However, please be assured that I'l always get back to you as soon as humanly possible. I'm happy if I can help and so are my colleagues!

Also there's something on my dashboard called "Panino" under WPMU DEV Release as an update, would this be affecting anything?

It won't affect anything regarding the issue in question. This is our new child theme for Upfront.

Going back to the notifications, to install and configure the SMTP plugin for you I'd need some details that are highly sensitive and shouldn't be ever posted here on the public forum. Having said that, could you please send in:

-WordPress admin username
    -WordPress admin password
    -login url
    -FTP credentials (host/username/password)
    -link back to this thread for reference
    -any other relevant urls
    - your e-mail account address - this account should be in the same domain that your site is!
    - login that you're using to login to this e-mail account (if different than e-mail address)
    - password to the account
    - name of SMTP Host (you should be able to get it from your hosting provider)

Please send this via our contact form here:
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/contact/

Use "ATTN: Adam Czajczyk" as a subject line and select "I have a different question" from the dropdown list.

Please remember that these are highly sensitive data: do not post it here under any circumstances!. After the setup is done you should also change the password to e-mail account! I treat every e-mail as strictly confidential.

Cheers,
    Adam

• Droughan

Adam,

I'm asking about the smtp host and I'll get that back to you asap.

A couple questions...
    1. Could you tell me what I'm looking for regarding FTP credentials? (I don't know what that is or what you're looking for)
    2. You want me to attach this chain of correspondence to the form I'll be sending you?
    3. The log in for my e mail is for an address info@dcrmt.com but I've set it up so that it is all sent to my g mail address, so I only really access my e mails through my g mail. Any notifications that I would've received for appointments would've gone through info@dcrmt.com and shown up in my g mail. I hope that makes sense.

The only thing is however that you'll still have to provide the plugin with your mail account details. I will gladly provide you with the instruction though. I'm not sure what you mean here either?

I will get back to you asap with all this info on the other form once I have a better idea of what you're looking for and once my web hoster sends me the info.

Thanks,

Dru

• Adam Czajczyk

Hey Dru,

I hope you're doing fine!

Let me answer your questions one by one then :slight_smile:

1. Could you tell me what I'm looking for regarding FTP credentials? (I don't know what that is or what you're looking for)

Generally, FTP is a way to connect to the server and upload files. You shoud be able to find the relevant information in your server's admin panel or by simply asking your hosting provider tech support for help. The data you're looking for (or to be asked for):
    - FTP host name
    - FTP login
    - FTP password

2. You want me to attach this chain of correspondence to the form I'll be sending you?

That's not necessary. Just an URL to this conversation will be enough :slight_smile:

3. The log in for my e mail is for an address xxx@xxx.xxx but I've set it up so that it is all sent to my g mail address, so I only really access my e mails through my g mail. Any notifications that I would've received for appointments would've gone through info@dcrmt.com and shown up in my g mail. I hope that makes sense.

Sure, it makes sense and actually it's quite a common setup. Knowing this, I don't need to access your main e-mail account (which is a relief, BTW). Assuming that the e-mail address that you've mentioned is in the same domain as your site - I'll only need access to this one.

The only thing is however that you'll still have to provide the plugin with your mail account details. I will gladly provide you with the instruction though. I'm not sure what you mean here either?

Actually, this is no longer relevant if I'm about to configure the plugin for you!

I must state however, that this is just a first step in dealing with the problem. Hopefully it will fix the issue and no further actions will be necessary but we'll know this only afterwards :slight_smile:

Cheers,
    Adam

• Droughan

Adam,

I was in contact with google today to re new a credit card and I thought that that might have been the issue but they assured me that it wasn't...
    That said, the initial problem was with google sending apps + e mails to spam and after I created a filter to have that stop it worked briefly and then reverted to not only not going to my inbox but also not showing up in spam...so not seeing them at all...
    So that's when I contacted you...google has opened up a case for my situation and is going to get back to me today or tomorrow...
    Can you please let me know where our status is right now?

Thanks,
    Dru

• Droughan

Adam,

I'm still waiting for a response or any kind of status update. This is effecting my business, I'm not satisfied with the level of support I'm receiving. Is there anyway I can be contacted by phone?

I gave you the information you asked for a week ago. The problem is not related to google. I don't know if the problem is related to this appointments + program because I'm waiting to hear from you. So my patience is used up, it's been a week since I gave you the information you asked for and to wait that long for a response is unacceptable. Again I can't say that I'm paying for a service that I'm not receiving because I don't know if this a problem with appointments + or not.

I need someone to contact me asap to
    - give me the status on what you've done with the information I gave you
    - be in contact with me daily until this is resolved(either it can or can't be fixed)

Dru

• Predrag Dubajic

Hi @Droughan,

My apologies for the long overdue on your thread.

I had a look at your site and did some testing on email sending and noticed that this issue is not only happening with A+ plugin.
    I have created new account on your site from admin section and selected to send email to new account but no email was send.
    Also, I have changed the email address for your contact form and sent an email with "Send a copy of this email to yourself" option enabled, none of the emails got sent.

So it looks like you have problem with your email sending across the site and not just A+

I would suggest looking in your security plugins if they are blocking sending of emails.

I'm subscribing to this thread to make sure it doesn't get missed again.

Best regards,
    Predrag

• Predrag Dubajic

Hi Droughan,

I would start with deactivating iThemes Security, clearing cache and then deactivating W3 Total Cache.
    If this doesn't help I would suggest asking your host for suggestion and checking why none of your emails are being sent.

One more test you can conduct is disabling all of your plugins, registering new user from your admin section but with enabled option to send password to that member.
    If the email is still not sent then there is definitely something server side that you need to look in to.

Best regards,
    Predrag

• Predrag Dubajic

I'm not sure what do you mean by this "Could you send me a screen shot of the iThemes Security page and W3 Total Cache?" are you looking for something specific?
    In your admin section iThemes Security is shown as Security and W3 Total Cache is Performance.

As far as "why e mails are not being sent" isn't really the issue. I am receiving e mails from senders, the only e mails that I'm not receiving are notifications of clients booking with me.

Can you tell me which emails are being received, as I mentioned I tried changing contact form email and created new user with email notification but none of those emails were sent to me.

Best regards,
    Predrag

• Droughan

Predrag,

My credit card expired and my support expired, I was thinking that this might be the problem that I was having with me not getting e mail notifications but I have my doubts.

I've had my web designer helping me by implementing the suggestions that you've made and so far nothing has changed.

So as of now, I'm still not getting notified when a client books with me and they aren't receiving e mail confirmations that are automated.

My designer told me that I have a month membership and that I am granted support with it, so I'm reaching out to you to help with this issue.

No one seems to know why everything all of a sudden just stopped and I need to find this out by the end of this month and then decide what I'm going to do with the appointments + program.

I'll happily grant you access to the back end of my site to see what you can find but I don't want to go days with no contact, if it can be fixed great but if it can't I want to know asap so I can move forward.

Thanks,
    Droughan

• Droughan

Predrag,

Support access is ACTIVE until July 23, 2015 12:35 pm.

As far as I know all of my plug ins are up to date. And you can do what you have to do but keep in mind that people can still book appointments(I just have to manually check for bookings)so I still want them to be able to book. If you had to do something where people couldn't book for prolonged periods please keep in mind the time zone I'm in and that people would like to book btwn 9am-5pm.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Thanks,

Droughan

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello Droughan,

I apologize it's taking all that time. If an issue comes to a stage when we need to ask our 2nd-line support for help, it usually means that its quite complicated. I'm sure 2nd-level support guys are doing whatever's humanly possible to find the solution, however please note that their response time might be a bit longer than ours here on support forum as they deal with a lot of complex issues on daily basis.

That said, we'll keep you updated as soon as we get replay.

Kind regards,
    Adam

• Adam Czajczyk

Hey Droughan!

Unfortunately we're not able to deal with account related questions here on forum. Would you please contact our accounting department?

Please use our contact form here
    <a href="https://premium.wpmudev.org/contact/
    ">https://premium.wpmudev.org/contact/

Select I have a billing question and post your message. It would be great if yoiu could just briefly describe the situation and link back to this thread and I'm sure they will help you there.

Cheers,
    Adam

• Adam Czajczyk

Hey Droughan!

As for e-mail contact. This will be one of your "e-mail guys", but I'm not aware who'll be "on shift" at the moment. Actually, the same goes to the 2nd-line support. The way it works is that either they'll post here directly or they'll answer us so me or my colleague @Predrag Dubajic we'll be notified and we'll get back to you with an answer immediately.

Cheers,
    Adam

• Adam Czajczyk

Hey Droughan!

As for e-mail contact. This will be one of your "e-mail guys", but I'm not aware who'll be "on shift" at the moment. Actually, the same goes to the 2nd-line support. The way it works is that either they'll post here directly or they'll answer us so me or my colleague @Predrag Dubajic we'll be notified and we'll get back to you with an answer immediately.

Cheers,
    Adam

• Adam Czajczyk

Hey @Droughan!

After some more tests it turned out that there's no SPF record setup for your domain.

SPF record is a DNS record that was introduced in order to help fight SPAM. These days more and more servers do not allow incoming e-mails from domains that do not have SPF record properly configured. Please take a look here:

http://www.openspf.org/Introduction

Furthermore, other tests show that it's not possible to find reverse addresses for your IP's and this is another factor that may prevent e-mails from being delivered.

That being said, please check your domain configuration and setup an SPF record. If you are not able to do this via the control panel of your server/domain management panel, you may need to contact your server provider to ask for their assistance.

Please note though that once the SPF record is configured, it may take a few hours to properly propagate DNS settings across the web.

Let me know if it helped!

Cheers,
    Adam

• Droughan

Adam,

Could you break this down to me in simple terms? I have a domain name with godaddy and I'm being hosted by another company. I need to know who should be doing what. I forwarded your e mail to both of them and godaddy said that my web host should be taking some action...is this correct?

Please send me an e mail with instructions as to who should be doing what and also I wanted to ask if any of this could be done by you guys on your end?

Thanks,
    Droughan

• Adam Czajczyk

Hey Droughan,

I hope you're well today!

Would you mind if I replay here instead of e-mailing you? This might turn out to be helpful for other members of the community as well :slight_smile:

Although your domain is hosted by GoDaddy, your site is hosted elsewhere so the domain also points to this server. This means that the "final" DNS configuration has to be applied to this "last" server: the one your domain points to a.k.a the one your site is hosted on.

Most likely you're able to setup the SPF record yourself. I'm not sure what kind of management panel is used for your hosting account but here are some helpful resources for most popular solutions:

Setting SPF in cPanel (just replicate what's in example):
    http://www.mail-tester.com/spf/cpanel

Setting SPF in DirectAdmin:
    http://www.mail-tester.com/spf/directadmin

Setting SPF in Plesk:
    http://www.mail-tester.com/spf/parallels-plesk-panel

If your hosting provider uses other management panel or you don't feel like dealing with it on your own, your hosting's techs should be able to set this up in no time.

Let me know if this helped, please!

Cheers,
    Adam

• Droughan

Predrag,

Here's what the guy who's working along side my web hoster said, he wants money to proceed further and again no one seems to know where the issue lies.

Hi Dru.

I was wondering if we had a 3PX login for your site so that I could poke around to run some mail diagnostics, etc. So I took a look at your database.

I noticed over 2500 obviously fraudulent users in your database!

I deleted those users and related data.

You definitely had a major security issue in the past. I would take a closer look at the site and make sure nothing is currently compromised. I'm unsure if or how this could be related to the problems you're having with WPMU. But security issues should definitely be dealt with before working on anything else.

My rate for this would be $60/hr and I estimate 30 - 60 minutes of work.

would also be able to provide you with more detailed support for WPMU at the same hourly rate

So now this guy wants money from me to fix problems that no one still knows where they're coming from!! What is your experience with situations with this?

• Predrag Dubajic

Hi @Droughan,

Apologies for the delay on this thread.

2500 doesn't necessarily mean that there was a security issue as they can simply be spam signups, and you should be able to deal with those by simply adding captcha to your registration form, there are number of plugins on wp.org that will do that.

However I can't say that he is wrong so doing a security scan is always a good idea, you start from here https://sitecheck.sucuri.net/

Best regards,
    Predrag

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.