Not Requiring a Service Provider Selection in Appointments +

Hi,

I'm working on revamping the appointment selection process on our site, and I'm wondering if there is a way with the shortcodes to NOT require a provider selection? So, a user would choose a service and then see a calendar of when appointments for that service were available based on service provider availability. I've heard from some users that they don't really care who provides the service, and having that additional step just makes it more cumbersome to book an appointment.

• Michelle Shull

Hi, Ryan!

Sure thing! This is the basic configuration of shortcodes you'd use to create an appointments page where clients are only required to choose a service:

[app_services]
    [app_schedule] ~or~ [app_monthly_schedule]
    [app_confirmation]

You'd need to add any arguments you'd need to these shortcodes, per the shortcodes tab in Appointments+, but this will only force clients to chose a service, not a provider.

Hope this helps!

• Martha Burtis

Thanks for the reply. That's a lot simpler than I thought, but I still have a few questions.

When I proceed this way, will Appointments+ honor the number of available service providers for a given time slot? If I have two providers available at Monday at 1:00, will Appointments+ only allow two appointments at that time?

Also, I noticed when I make these changes, the confirmation form that appears doesn't include the name of the service provider that's assigned for the appointment. Is there anyway to make this information evident?

• Sajid

Hi Ryan, Hope you are doing good today :slight_smile:

For your first question. Yes! It will check both service provider time. For example if they select May 8 1:30Pm and you have two service providers available for that time slot then two appointments can be booked for same time slot.

For second question, I am afraid its not possible out of the box to display service provider on confirmation page. If you go this way!

Hope this will help :slight_smile:

Take care and have a nice day :slight_smile:

Cheers, Sajid

• Martha Burtis

Thanks, Sajid.

I guess I figured this out with a bit more experimenting. When you don't require the user to choose a service provider (and leave that shortcode out of the actual appointments page), A+ doesn't actually seem to assign a provider. The email confirmation that is sent lists "Our Staff" as the provider, and in the backend no provider is actually assigned when I go in to see the details for the appointment.

If I'm incorrect about this and there's some setting I need to change to actually get a provider assigned when the user doesn't designate one, please let me know!

If I am correct, I would definitely like to see a future release of A+ have the option to automatically assign a provider when a user doesn't choose/isn't required to choose.

One critical reason for this is that going into the backend and assigning a provider after an appointment is made, really isn't practical. The backend doesn't limit my choices to those providers that are available in that time slot for that specific appointment -- I just see a dropdown of all my providers when I edit an appointment. That means I have to go check my schedule through some other mechanism in order to even determine which provider could be assigned to a given provider-less appointment. Since I have different services offered by different providers, this requires a fair amount of checking and double-checking, and I can definitely see myself making errors when making the assignments.

Plus, if A+ is already keeping track of which providers are available (so that a slot doesn't get overbooked), it seems like a small step to go ahead and just randomly assign a provider when the appointment is actually made -- that way both the user and the provider immediately get an email informing them of who has been assigned. (As opposed to having to resend a second confirmation after I change the assignments in the backend -- I'm sure this confirmation would confuse my users.)

While it would be nice to have the provider listed in the confirmation form/screen, I think it would be fine if that information was just included in the confirmation email (since I understand that actual assignment might not be able to be made until after the confirmation form is submitted).

• Sajid

Hi Ryan,

If I am correct, I would definitely like to see a future release of A+ have the option to automatically assign a provider when a user doesn't choose/isn't required to choose.

Yes you are correct! Right now there is no such feature available to assign a random service provider to provider-less appointment. Although it would be a great feature request. We always listen our customers feedback & suggestions and try our best to add them in our plugin.

I am going to mark it as featured request and let our developer take care of this. It will be added in future release of this plugin, but I am sorry, I can not guarantee or provide an ETA.

Take a good care of your self and have a nice day :slight_smile:

Cheers, Sajid

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.