Not sure of the plugins work

I have installed the cache plugin, the photo smush and also the hummingbird, it seems to do nothing for my blog. Every time I retest my blog speed, I get the message that my photos need to be compressed and that I need a caching plugin. And yes, I have activated those, even watched how all the photos got compressed, so I am really lost here and thinking of getting another service if this is not fixed.

• Rupok

Hi Catalina Castravet,

So sorry to hear the inconvenience you are having. I've checked your site in Google PageSpeed Tools and saw the issue. This is really weird if you compressed your image with Smush and enabled GZip with Hummingbird.

To fix the image issue, can you please turn on Super Smushing? To enable super smushing, please go to "Dashboard > Media > WP Smush" section, scroll down and turn on "Super-smush my images"? Please check the attached screenshot for reference.

I believe, this will help.

Regarding the compression issue, can you please confirm if you enabled GZip compression and also minification for your assets and still getting this issue?

I could tell you better about the issue if I could see it live, check your current configuration and make some tests on your site. Would you mind allowing Support Access so we can have a closer look at this?

To enable support access you can follow this guide here:
    http://premium.wpmudev.org/manuals/wpmu-dev-dashboard-enabling-staff-login/

Please confirm here when you are done granting Support Access. I'm looking forward to hearing from you and resolving this issue as soon as possible.

Have a nice day. Cheers!
    Rupok

• Kasia Swiderska

Hello Catalina,

I really hate following up on this so many times, is anyone available to give me an update?!!!!!

I'm sorry for the delay on our end - our system actually prevents from thread bumping and each time there is new post in thread, its treated as new answer and threads goes down in our queue. because we process our queue from older to newer thread that can cause delays.

I checked page speed results and about your images:
    1) google says compression is required on images that come from Instagram and from wp.com CDN (those are images in your slider on home page).
    Smush does not have access to those images and can't compress them. wp.com CDN has own compressing algorithm and Instagram images are loaded from another server.
    2) Other images on your home page are compressed but they are not resized - you are loading way too big images in dimensions and then they are squeezed with CSS to fit container. Google does not like that and that is why you have to load smaller image sizes there.
    Please see this on screenshot

For gzip compression - please contact your hosting provider and ask if "mod_deflate" is installed and enabled on your server.

Gzip compression and big dimensions of the images are two main issues on your site.

It looks like browser caching is already working on your site - however browser cache wont work with external resources like files server from Facbook - and those are files that are listed in google page speed test (they are not coming from your server but other places).

You can try enabling also Minification - however you have to be careful with that option as it requires configuration. Not every theme and plugin plays nicely when its JS files are "touched" - by that I mean minified, combined and moved. And Minification can do that.
    So first step is to disable minification, combination and move files to original position

And from that point you can start enabling again those options for each file - and see if that causes problem with site. If you see that one file breaks site, revert changes for it and move to next file.
    Each site is different - there is no one general configuration that would work for every site, so testing is required.

kind regards,
    Kasia

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.