Not sure what happend with Upfront update Version 0.4.1.4

Hi Guys,
Not sure if it was my site or the up date but the strangest thing happened when I did the Upfront update to Version 0.4.1.4 it wiped out my entire themes folder leaving only the upfront theme. Glad I always have a recent backup on hand otherwise it would have been a real drag. Tough maybe you should know and check it out.

John Overall

• Chris
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

Hi John - it happened to me too. Did some testing after I did the restore and here's what seemed to work for me. I realize I could only do this safely because I am using a different theme as the main theme on the blog. I also have no clue what this would do if you of the UpFront child themes was your main theme. So, for anybody who reads this post and wants to try this- proceed at your own risk. I'm just a fellow user and won't be responsible if this FUBARs your site.

1st - Uninstall all of the upfront child themes (Appearance->Themes->Click on the center of each theme->Delete)
    2nd - Update Upfront to Version 0.4.1.4

Everyone, here's one way you know it will blow away your themes folder.

When you go to do the update from the WordPress Updates area, under themes you will see the text "You have version 0.4.1.3 installed. Update to 0.4.1.4."

However...

You will not see the UpFront logo or the text 'UpFront'.

If you see the above scenario, as far as I can tell, the folders under your themes folder will be wiped out.

• Nastia
    • Support Rock Star

Hello @John, I hope you are well today!

I'm sorry to hear you have this issue!

Thank you @Chris for chipping in.

I couldn't recreate the same behavior on three of my WP installs. Would you please tell me what Upfront Version you had before updating the theme?
    Where the Upfront child theme, activate or deactivate like in Chris's case?

Would you please try to install the Upfront manually using FTP?
    You can download the Upfront theme by visiting any of our child theme pages, and click on Upfront link, as it's shown in the attached screenshot.

Please advise,

Kind Regards,
    Nastia

• John Overall
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

Hi Nastia,
    I had ver 0.4.1.3 was just doing updates and saw it needed 0.4.1.4 and as i only have it there for my clients to use on ther sites ( this is a MU installation) I did the update then as I was working on my site i suddenly saw a white screen and as thatw as the only update i did I knew right away it was that. I did check several other sites using different themes and all where gone. So i logged in via FTP and saw all themes except for the upfront one where gone we are talking 20 themes just wiped out.

Fortunately I had just made a backup a few hours before and it was easy to reload them . manual update is never a problem it is something in this auto update and since I see someone else had an issue, (thanks Chris) I have to believe there is an issue you guys should investigate.

Thanks
    John Overall
    TheFitYou.ca

• Nastia
    • Support Rock Star

Hello @John Overall, I trust this message finds you well!

This is a very strange and we have never reported similar issues. I have reported this to our developers, so they can have a look.

Would you please tell us what PHP version you are using on your server?

Please advise.

Kind regards,
    Nastia

• Nastia
    • Support Rock Star

Hello @John, I hope you are well today!

I'm apologies for late reply!

Thank you for informing us!

Because we are trying to replicate this issue, may I ask some questions?
    It may sound a little tedious, but we want to be sure that this will not happen again.

Do you recall if the update it was similar to what @Chris has described in his answer? That there was a message
    "You have version 0.4.1.3 installed. Update to 0.4.1.4." without mentioning the "Upfront" name.

Did you had activated a different theme (not related to Upfront?) on the main subsite/sub-directory?

@Chris, would you please tell us what PHP version you are using on your site? Are you running MU installation on your site or it's a single network? Is it subsite or sub-directory network?

Have you updated Upfront using WPMU DEV Dashboard plugin, or you did the update from your Dashboard > Plugins menu.

Please advise,

Kind Regards,
    Nastia

• John Overall
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

Hi Nastia,
    Yes it was similar to what @Chris experienced forgot to mention it was upfront that was being updated.
    I had a completely different theme activated, the upfront themes are for my users I am not using them.

I did my update from the dashboard >> plugins menu.

• Rupok
    • Support Ninja

Hi @John Overall & @Chris

I tried to regenerate this on my test site but I could not. However, I can see there is a newer version of Upfront released (version 0.4.1.5) recently and I believe, this bug is fixed in this latest version. Can you please Take a Full Backup of you site, and then update Upfront and see if it's removing all other themes or not? I believe, it will work normally this time.

I'm looking forward to hear from you and I really appreciate your cooperation.

Have a nice day. Cheers!
    Rupok

• Chris
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

Hi @Rupok,

0.4.1.5 seems to update ok.

Then again, I was able to use my fix above (removing all Upfront Child themes before trying to update Upfront) to get 0.4.1.4 installed successfully.

My suggestion would be to have the WPMUDEV developers make sure that any time things are deleted that either the thing to delete isn't blank or doesn't match a main folder name (like Themes).

As a developer, I know we've all been there (i.e. oops, didn't check for a blank, null, etc. before deleting.)

While that mitigate things a bit in this case, it's still was a terrible feeling to realize that a main directory is completely wiped.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.