Not Sure which plugin I need - Membership, ProSites or Both?

Here's the situation:

I have a BuddyPress-Multisite install for a network that supports the book community (readers and authors). I want to have two member levels:

Readers - (free) no blogs, no group creation
Authors - (paid) group creation, option to pay more to get a blog.

I don't want to have multiple types of author levels.

During signup I envision Readers simply supplying their credentials and joining the network for free. For Authors, I would like them to Sign up for the Author level and then select the option whether to create a blog or not, then pay it all at once during checkout.

Failing that, have authors select the Author level and then be able to come back after registration and pay for their blog.

How can I make this happen?

• Jack Kitterhing

Hi there @jetmac

I hope you are well today.

I personally would use just membership for this, but have an extra level.

Where you have the Readers, Authors and Bloggers (or anything you want to call it). That way a Author could come back and add the blogging part to their account as they can have multiple access levels/subscriptions.

That would be the way of doing it currently, what do you think on that?

Thank you!

Kind Regards
    Jack.

• jetmac

Jack,

That would be the easy way, but I really prefer to have only two membership levels -- Reader and Author. Also, later we may incorporate premium themes and premium plugins -- would I then have to make two (possibly 3) more levels to accommodate those options? There has to be a better way.

I envisioned that Authors would have access to an upgrade area that would allow for purchasing more options.

Also, I keep seeing in these discussions that Membership is not the tool to create blogs, that it is only the tool to be a gatekeeper for access to areas of the site. I was under the impression that Pro-Sites had to be involved in some way to allow for blog creation.

So, back to the original question -- how can I use Membership and Pro-Sites to accomplish this?

Thanks,
    Rob

• Jack Kitterhing

Hi there Rob (@jetmac)

I hope you are well today and thank you for the additional information.

Pro Sites would then in this case be the better plugin to use, the problem is membership will overwrite the sign up process, but as you have BuddyPress installed, this should work.

If this doesn't work, then you can use Pro Sites on the main site and put your protected content and membership on a sub site, then your users can sign up for a site if they wish and then sign up for the membership content if they wish. Currently there isn't integration where this can all be handled in one checkout process.

I hope that makes sense? :slight_smile:

Thank you!

Kind Regards
    Jack.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.