not working on production

I installed Pop up on our development site and it worked fine. I used the same download to install on our production and it successfully installed but is not working.

Do I need a separate download? Other ideas?
Thanks,
Boyd

• Will Ashworth
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

Depending on the browser you're using, you can open console or developer tools and see if the console is outputting any errors. This will at least all you to see if something's triggering a Javascript error somewhere, and what the potential issue might be.

Also, anything special in your PHP error logs? Even though there are no errors output to the browser, that doesn't necessarily mean that it's all good under the hood.

I look forward to your findings!

• phillcoxon
    • The Crimson Coder

I agree. I'd check the permissions of the wp-contents/plugins/popover folder and files on the CDN to make sure they are correct for the content server. If you're developing locally your local web server might be more lenient on the file / folder permissions it permits.

• vivinow

The popup was logged only for your screenshot, it should not have appeared. The following are our errors. I don't see anything unusual but I don't know popup.

[Wed Feb 06 18:56:20 2013] [error] [client 216.152.252.86] PHP Parse error: syntax error, unexpected T_STRING, expecting ')' in /nas/wp/www/cluster-8012/vivinow/wp-content/plugins/allow-php-in-posts-and-pages/allowphp.php(43) : eval()'d code on line 13, referer: http://vivinow.com/
    [Wed Feb 06 21:26:57 2013] [error] [client 108.161.177.115] PHP Warning: require_once(/nas/wp/www/sites/vivinow/wp-content/plugins/nas/wp/www/cluster-8012/vivinow/wp-content/plugins/contact-form-7/settings.php) [function.require-once]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /nas/wp/www/cluster-8012/vivinow/wp-content/plugins/contact-form-7/wp-contact-form-7.php on line 74, referer: http://vivinow.com/
    [Wed Feb 06 21:26:57 2013] [error] [client 108.161.177.115] PHP Fatal error: require_once() [function.require]: Failed opening required '/nas/wp/www/sites/vivinow/wp-content/plugins/nas/wp/www/cluster-8012/vivinow/wp-content/plugins/contact-form-7/settings.php' (include_path='.:disappointed:usr/share/php:disappointed:usr/share/pear') in /nas/wp/www/cluster-8012/vivinow/wp-content/plugins/contact-form-7/wp-contact-form-7.php on line 74, referer: http://vivinow.com/
    [Wed Feb 06 23:58:23 2013] [error] [client 216.152.252.86] PHP Parse error: syntax error, unexpected T_STRING, expecting ')' in /nas/wp/www/cluster-8012/vivinow/wp-content/plugins/allow-php-in-posts-and-pages/allowphp.php(43) : eval()'d code on line 13, referer: http://vivinow.com/
    [Thu Feb 07 00:59:30 2013] [error] [client 108.161.180.115] PHP Warning: require_once(/nas/wp/www/sites/vivinow/wp-content/plugins/nas/wp/www/cluster-8012/vivinow/wp-content/plugins/contact-form-7/settings.php) [function.require-once]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /nas/wp/www/cluster-8012/vivinow/wp-content/plugins/contact-form-7/wp-contact-form-7.php on line 74
    [Thu Feb 07 00:59:30 2013] [error] [client 108.161.180.115] PHP Fatal error: require_once() [function.require]: Failed opening required '/nas/wp/www/sites/vivinow/wp-content/plugins/nas/wp/www/cluster-8012/vivinow/wp-content/plugins/contact-form-7/settings.php' (include_path='.:disappointed:usr/share/php:disappointed:usr/share/pear') in /nas/wp/www/cluster-8012/vivinow/wp-content/plugins/contact-form-7/wp-contact-form-7.php on line 74
    [Thu Feb 07 01:05:16 2013] [error] [client 66.249.73.84] PHP Warning: require_once(/nas/wp/www/sites/vivinow/wp-content/plugins/nas/wp/www/cluster-8012/vivinow/wp-content/plugins/contact-form-7/settings.php) [function.require-once]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /nas/wp/www/cluster-8012/vivinow/wp-content/plugins/contact-form-7/wp-contact-form-7.php on line 74
    [Thu Feb 07 01:05:16 2013] [error] [client 66.249.73.84] PHP Fatal error: require_once() [function.require]: Failed opening required '/nas/wp/www/sites/vivinow/wp-content/plugins/nas/wp/www/cluster-8012/vivinow/wp-content/plugins/contact-form-7/settings.php' (include_path='.:disappointed:usr/share/php:disappointed:usr/share/pear') in /nas/wp/www/cluster-8012/vivinow/wp-content/plugins/contact-form-7/wp-contact-form-7.php on line 74

I removed the logged in user and it still doesn't appear.

It is working fine on vivinow.staging.wpengine.com/whatsnext/

Thanks,
    Boyd

• phillcoxon
    • The Crimson Coder

I suggest contacting wpengine support as I hear they're great guys. Because the issue is causing a 500 server error on their server they'll be able to look and spot the issue right away.

At the moment we're only guessing because we can't see what's causing the 500 error.

Try WPEngine support - I bet they'll have you sorted in no time. Attach a copy of Will's image showing the 500 error in the console - that will be a big help to them.

• phillcoxon
    • The Crimson Coder

Re: Permissions - some hosting servers have slightly different file and folder permission requirements. While one server might happily serve a file with 766 permissions, another might give the 500 error and refuse to serve it until the permissions have been changed to 644. Same with folders - some hosts will server folders with permissions of 755 and others enforce 744.

Given both your development and production are at WPEngine it's hard to say why it's not working, but they will have logs of all the 500 errors. All they need to do is look that up for your site and it should tell them instantly what's wrong.

• Will Ashworth

Precisely. It's definitely an issue with the server not "serving" the file. I'd contact the web hosting before beat your head against the wall any more. Once you know the magic formula for file permissions and such on that server environment, you'll likely be out of their hair for a while. After all, that's what you pay them for.

What happens if you disable the CDN? Does it then operate the popup normally? I only ask because your HTML code was trying to load the file from the CDN, which was failing. Fix that and you're golden.

• PC
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Wow,

It looks like this thread does not need Staff involvement at all :slight_smile:

Superb work by Phill and Will :slight_smile:

Sending a few points your way !

Boyd, we will look forward for your response as you hear from the WP Engine guys.

Cheers, PC

• vivinow

Will,

Thanks for the offer to help diagnose the cdn problem. For this short term need, we have chosen to just program the solution.

In a couple of weeks, we will have another need that could be solved by Popover. Let's wait until then to see if you can make it work.

Best,
    Boyd

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.