Notes About Functionality and Use

Greetings :slight_smile:

I have been doing extreme testing of this plugin and found many things that are unique to its functionality and use. WP 3.1.1 and WP 3.1.2

Plugin Version 1.0.9.1 and a few previous versions.

First and foremost I found that when I activate the plugin and address the domain http://somedomain.com/sitemap.xml the sitemap is created for the site but when more posts or pages are added they are not added to the sitemap.

However, if I delete the sitemap files (2 - the regular file and the GZ file) deactivate the plugin and then re-activate it - then addressing the sitemap URL the new posts and/or pages are added to the newly created sitemap.xml but only to a certain limit.

On one site in particular there are over 100,000 posts but the sitemap shows only a little over 6000 with tags and categories and 984 without tags and categories.

At this point other then missing tens of thousands of posts - it is a great plugin.

I wish it went all the way though of course :slight_smile:

Joe :slight_smile:

• Philip John
    • DEV MAN’s Apprentice

Hiya Joe,

Right that ain't good! I have one question so far... are you using any caching plugins?

Oh and another, what other plugins do you have activated? Always good to check without any other plugins activated first just in case one if them is causing the issue.

Cheers!
    Phil

• C3MDigital
    • Flash Drive

The problem with creating a sitemap with 100,000 posts is the extreme memory usage and execution time it will take. Even if you set your PHP memory limit up very high as well as your max execution time It's going to still be real hard to completely build the sitemap before it times out.

Not sure if this plugin can build using a background process and in steps but that might be the only way.

I administer a very high traffic blog and our new posts are indexed within a minute of being published and we decided to eliminate the use of a site map and found that our number of indexed pages actually increased because Google did a much more thorough craw.

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings :slight_smile:

no I am not using any caching plugins at all and very few others.

However, after careful thought considering what C3MDigital said above and a little bit of research, I have decided that C3MDigital is probably spot on that Google does a more thorough crawl without a site map.

I say probably because I cannot prove him definitely right or wrong - but I do now know this - Google has already spider-ed and included in there index more posts then those that have ever appeared in the sitemap.

Therefore I am going to scrap them from my Multi-Sites and continue to go forward :slight_smile:

Joe :slight_smile:

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.