Theme options on custom posts

I finally figured out how to create the custom press post types. :slight_smile: I just want to figure out how to get the theme options for the header and page options on the right like the other pages. Is there a way to do this without tons of coding?

I am hoping there is an option in the plugin that can pull these over.

• Michelle Shull

Hi, Jason!

Congrats! You just earned an official WordPress merit badge. :slight_smile:

Now that you've made your custom post type, it's time to give it its own set of page templates.

This is actually pretty straightforward. If you can master creating a new custom post type, you can do this standing on your head.
    1. Fire up your FTP client and download a copy of both single.php (or single-post.php, depending on your theme) and archive.php from wp-content/themes/yourtheme
    2. Create two new text files, one named single-{YOUR POST TYPE SLUG}.php and one named archive-{YOUR POST TYPE SLUG}.php. So, for example, if your custom post is called "product" you'd make single-product.php and archive-product.php.
    3. Copy the contents from single.php to single-{YOUR POST TYPE SLUG}.php, and the contents from archive.php to archive-{YOUR POST TYPE SLUG}.php.
    4. Upload your two new files to the same folder you downloaded single.php and archive.php from.
    5. View one of your custom post type posts on your site, it should now have the same styling as your other posts.
    6. If you'd like to change how information displays on those pages, you can edit the new files you created.

For further reading: https://codex.wordpress.org/Post_Type_Templates
    Hope this helps, and congrats again!