nothing is working right - for Michael to help me please

Hi Michael, If we could start with the menu issues that would be great. I'll grant access right away.

• Michael Bissett
    • Recruit

Hey @Judith, it's Michael, from the live chat today! :slight_smile:

After having a closer look at things here (via the Support Access you granted), I noticed that all 10 of the menu items present on the "General Health" bar are all added to the menu inside your Dashboard, not seeing any real issues with the menu (aside from the fact that it takes a lot of time to load the list of them inside the Dashboard, due to the amount of menu items).

However, it does appear that WP Super Cache is interfering with the menu changes, as I have to delete the cache inside the plugin in order for some menu changes to show (e.g. changing the position of the "General Nutrition For Athletes" menu item).

I've disabled the caching inside it for the time being, as the lack of it doesn't appear to have presented a loss of speed here (compared to when it was enabled; it also gets the menus working as they should).

With or without WP Super Cache enabled though, I noticed that the site can really slow sometimes when I'm browsing the various parts of it (particularly the admin interface), who do you have the site hosted with?

Oh, and in regards to the theme you're using, it's Academica Pro that has the responsive capability, the free version you've got here doesn't have that (not to mention, it seems to be a very badly rated theme).

When you said on the live chat that you were having issues with both our Spirit theme, as well as another third party theme, did you have WP Super Cache enabled at the same time? I wonder if that might've been influencing things here.

Please advise,
    Michael

• Judith
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

Hi Michael,
    Thanks for getting to this so quickly.
    My site is hosted with DreamHost.
    I don't really care which theme I use as long as it can be customized to what I want - which is a right and left side, a header banner, menu below the banner, private member pages, multiple drop down menus. If Academica Pro will do this, or if Spirit will do this, I'll change just to get the site up and working properly.

I don't remember if I had super cache activated on the Spirit theme. Honestly, we've tried so many things I've lost tract of what we've done. My assistant has tried things, too, logged in as me.

If you can help us customize Spirit to be what we need it to be then I'm find switching back.

• Judith

We had a major problem with Spirit in that we have a lot of tables on the site - and the did not migrate well. They came over as lists. My assistant was going to format them each manually - but at 15 minutes per table it would have taken a lot of time and consequently a lot of money. If we can get Spirit to read the tables properly ...

• Michael Bissett
    • Recruit

Hey @Judith,

If all the menu items are in the dashboard why are they not showing up on the site?

Which ones seem to be missing? As I mentioned before, the 10 items in the "General Health" menu item (along with their submenus), are showing up for me. I'm seeing:

- Cankers
    - Nutrition
    - Headaches
    - Circulatory Issues
    - Digestion Issues
    - Skin and Nails
    - Immune Issues
    - Men’s Health
    - First Aid & Travel Tips
    - Sport Wellness

We had a major problem with Spirit in that we have a lot of tables on the site - and the did not migrate well. They came over as lists. My assistant was going to format them each manually - but at 15 minutes per table it would have taken a lot of time and consequently a lot of money. If we can get Spirit to read the tables properly ...

Could you give me an example of a page where the tables aren't showing up properly?

And could you (or your assistant) provide a screenshot as to how it should look?

Please advise,
    Michael

• Judith

Hi Michael,
    I've had some success playing with the menu. Is there a limit to how many items/pages we can have in the menu structure? When I select and organize everything I want from the Edit menus > pages and save it, several items disappear from the bottom of the structure. Is there a way to fix this? I have a very content-dense site and I'd like to keep it that way.

• Judith

I just added things to my menu - mostly recipes. The menu should include tabs for nature's sunshine products, courses & workshops, general nutrition for athletes - but by adding about 30 recipes to the recipes tab everything else that came after, and some of the recipes I just moved into the menu - aren't showing up on the site and they didn't stick in the menu structure list either.

• Michael Bissett
    • Recruit

Hey @Judith,

any ideas why the menu is not behaving properly and how I can get it to accept all my pages?

What pages aren't showing up in the menu? Could you name them please?

As requested earlier, a screenshot would be most helpful.

I'll need these details in order to help you better. :slight_smile:

Please advise,
    Michael

• Judith

Hi Michael.
    I'm not a techie. I'm a herbalist. I can solve your heart burn and acid reflux in a day. I don't know how to do a screen shot - you're going to have to send me DETAILED directions on how to do a screen shot and how to insert it into a message - and then I will most gleefully send you as many screen shots as it takes. I promise.

• Michael Bissett
    • Recruit

Hey @Judith,

I don't know how to do a screen shot - you're going to have to send me DETAILED directions on how to do a screen shot and how to insert it into a message - and then I will most gleefully send you as many screen shots as it takes.

Ah, wish I'd known that sooner, I'd have suggested a tool for that. :slight_smile:

Don't know whether you have a PC or a Mac, but this thread's got some suggestions that can be used (I personally use the Awesome Screenshot app for Google Chrome):

https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/how-do-a-take-a-snap-shot

As for attaching images to the thread here, that's where the "Add File" link comes in handy (it's on the upper right of the post box, when you're writing up a post). In the window that pops up, you should see that there's two files that can be attached, but you can add more by clicking on the "Add One More File" button.

Just click on the "Choose File" button for each row on the popup, and add each image file that way. :slight_smile:

Hope this helps!

Kind Regards,
    Michael

• Judith

Michael - thanks for the app.
    I can take screenshots and save them now - but what I really want to show you is how drop down items seem to get deleted from the my last nav bar tab when I add more drop down items to any other tab on the nav bar. The screenshot won't let me get a picture of my nav bar with a drop down menu open.
    How I wish we could to a phone call with a screen share. If I could just show you what's going on I know you'd have an answer.

Currently, the last item on the workshops tab is Foundations (iridology)
    workshops>for holistic>foundations
    If I add a new recipe in the recipes tab the new recipe will show up where I add it on the drop down menu, but >foundations will disappear.

• Michael Bissett
    • Recruit

Hey @Judith,

I do see what you mean about that menu item disappearing, it actually seems to cut off at a specific point, that being when there's about 93-94 menu items. The cause of this would actually lie in the server configuration, as it's affecting WordPress, as this post explains:

http://sevenspark.com/wordpress/menu-item-limit

What kind of hosting do you have presently? In order to get around this issue with the number of menu items being limited, it looks like we'll need to change the "max_input_vars" value inside your php.ini, the question is... will your host allow for that?

I'd advise reaching out to them, and asking about adjusting that value, that should take care of the menu problems here. :slight_smile:

Let me know if I can be of further assistance here please!

Kind Regards,
    Michael

P.S. When I was reading that article, I couldn't help but get a kick out of the "Hold on, I’ve had enough of the techno-babble." statement there. :smiley:

• Judith

Thanks, Michael.
    If I had known that DreamHost was like that I would have taken my site to another host. Now, it seems I'm stuck with them. This migration has not been easy or inexpensive.
    Michelle came up with a work around. Now I'm wrestling with DreamHost to help me create a folder and a blank phpprc file so I can make changes in the php.ini file to increase the menu limits. I have absolutely no idea what all of this is. I just hope it works - otherwise - I'll move to another host right away and not waste more time or money trying to complete the fine-tuning on the site where it is.

• Judith

DreamHost supposedly created a file for me and increased the max_input_vars value but it's made no difference. I added some items to a drop down menu, and an equal number of items was deleted from the bottom of my menu structure.
    I am so frustrated!

• Michael Bissett
    • Recruit

Hey @Judith,

Since you had mentioned moving to another host, some of the hosts that have had good mentions (both on the blog, as well as by our members) would include:

- Page.ly
    - Site5
    - Surpass Hosting

Maybe one of those hosts would be a better fit for your needs here. :slight_smile:

Kind Regards,
    Michael

• Judith

It just really sucks! Having spent $300 on a wp.org site in July, only to find out they couldn't accomodate leadpages. Then moving to a wp.com site in Dec and paying $300 to be hosted there - only to have to consider moving again only one month later. What due diligence do I have to do to find a host? Recommendations are one thing - but even the recommendation to use Spirit theme has been a royal headache - it's not capable of globalized widgets except in the header and footer.

DreamHost had good reviews, too and then there's BlueHost and a million others that have rave testimonials about the support the offer for WP sites.

• Judith

Hi Michael,
    I researching a new host some have suggested that the menu size issues I am having on my site are a wordpress problem, not a hosting problem. So I need to know from WP if this is true or not., and/or if some of the limitations are due to the theme I have chosen. My site will have 7-8 nav bar tabs, most of those will have 4 - 6 items in a drop down menu, with up to 10 items coming off those. Additionally, there may be some pages that aren't on the menu but are accessible only to people who have the URL and the password.
    Thanks for all of your help with all of the problems I've had.

• Michael Bissett
    • Recruit

Hey @Judith, thanks for your patience here! :slight_smile:

Testing with the Twenty Fourteen theme on one of my sites here, I'm able to get 90 menu items to show up on my menu bar, which is pretty much in line with what you've got on your site. As mentioned over here though:

http://www.wpbeginner.com/wp-tutorials/how-to-fix-the-custom-menu-items-limit-in-wordpress/

This wouldn't really be a WordPress limit, it would really be depending on what limits your hosting has. However, another thing you can try (that worked for me on Surpass Hosting), would be to create a php.ini file inside of the wp-admin folder, and insert this into it:

max_input_vars=3000;
    suhosin.post.max_vars = 3000
    suhosin.request.max_vars = 3000

After doing that, I was able to add 228 menu items to my menu (instead of just 90). :slight_smile:

Kind Regards,
    Michael

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.