Notice: Constant MULTISITE already defined in wp-config.php on line

Notice: Constant MULTISITE already defined in wp-config.php on line

I am doing a custom installation of WP MS with a renamed installation directory and a moved content directory. Everything is defined where I am seeing the site and function as expected. This is pre enable WP Multisite in the wp-config.php

I am right now getting this debug error notice and it is not showing the Network Settings Enabling options under tools which I presume is due to the notice.

My question, is this possibly due to a .htaccess configuration
(which is modified to accommodate my custom directories configurations for version control purposes)
Or is this due to a different cause/source?

Recommendations as to where to narrow my troubleshooting are VERY MUCH appreciated.

Regards!

• Adam Czajczyk
    • Support Gorilla

Hey Ramiel,

I hope you're having a good day and thank you for your question!

I realize that this may sound a bit lame but sometimes the simplest reasons are the hardest to spot: are you sure that there's no double "define( 'MULTISITE', true )" declaration in the wp-config.php file or even a double wp-config.php file itself?

Please advise!

Regards,
    Adam

• Timothy
    • Chief Pigeon

Hey Ramiel,

The constant error is a PHP one, it only occurs when there are two instances of a constant. You see constants should be unique, this is because they don't change, else they'd be a variable instead.

What I think is happening is that you've added the constant after the wp-settings.php inclusion. I say this because in that file it checks if the constant is defined, and if it's not, it sets it to false.

I've included a screenshot to show you what I refer to in the wp-config file. I think this is the reason.

Let me know.

• Sacred Website
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

Ha! Yes Timothy, I am glad you responded already with exactly what had occurred. I discovered this after going through the constants file and revisiting the create a network article in the codex. It's amazing how such a silly little oversight can lead me to so much looking over. Thank You again for your quick and SPOT ON answer. Best regards, and hope this thread keeps a record to help anyone else that may have this issue in the future.

Cheers!

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.