Notifications to subscribers on Q&A Categories

In a site like StackOverflow, we can subscribe to specific tags. So if there is a question on tag "WordPress Plugins" a group of people interested in that specific topic will be notified, perhaps expediting responses. Can we do this with the Q&A Plugin combined with the Subscribe by Email plugin?

Similarly, when users login to their dashboard, I'd like to show them a feed of their subscribed categories - they might not be getting emails... I could just put a link in the dashboard to a page that shows the feed. But if the Dashboard Feed plugin can already support Q&A categories then that would be great too.

Note: I know those plugins allow for subscription to WordPress Categories - aka Blog Categories. Since this site isn't a blog, it's a Q&A site, I'm not using any Blog Categories (yet anyway). So as a hack, where Q&A sets (changes/removes) its categories, I could inject a setting to the site/WP/blog categories.

... or, LOL, did I miss an option somewhere that already allows Q&A to use the site categories? ...

Other suggestions are welcome. Thanks!

• Sajid

Hi Tony,

Hope you are doing good today

I am afraid, Subscribe By Email does not support custom taxonomies terms at the moment. It only allows subscription of blog categories.

However, yes if you know PHP then hack the categories option and list Q&A categories there. But you have to make it aware when a new custom post in that custom category published so it trigger an email.

As I said, its doable but requires a good deal of customization that is beyond the level of support we can provide here. You can do it your self if you know PHP or you need to hire a third party developer from jobs board.

For Dashboard Feeds plugin, it just pulls the content from an RSS feed from external sites. So I don't think it can be used for this purpose here.

Take care and have a nice day

Cheers, Sajid