Number of unresolved issues in WPMUDEV forum

Could anyone answer why we see a huge amount of unresolved issues in WPMUDEV support forum? Are the issues getting solved properly?

• Predrag Dubajic
    • Support

Hey Ajay,

We usually leave marking threads as resolved to our users, there are lot of threads that are resolved but simply not marked as such by the user himself :slight_smile:

I have moved your thread to our support forum to ensure support staff response as Membership forum is mostly for members themselves and don’t guarantee support staff response.

Best regards,

Predrag

• kundeservice
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

Hey Ajay – I see lots of threads where the user stopped replying too, probably means the issue is resolved and they just forget to get back. Staff don’t seem to close those either, so they would contribute to lots of them being unsolved.

• Predrag Dubajic
    • Support

Hi Ajay,

That does makes sense and it is something we are considering changing in future by adding a system that will mark threads as resolved if there’s no response for certain time.

Large number of users find a solution on their own so this can also be confusing for members who stumble upon “resolved” thread but it’s simply marked as read by the system and there is no actual response that will tell what the solution was.

We are looking what could be best solution for this :slight_smile:

If something is not resolved, why don’t you people follow up and mark it unresolved?

In my personal opinion this would take huge amount of times considering the number of threads we are dealing with and will highly impact our response times to threads.

Hope this clears things up a bit :slight_smile:

Best regards,

Predag

• patricia_dumond
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

I personally never worry about threads in forums being marked “Resolved” or “Closed”. I prefer WPMU’s method of letting the poster mark a thread “Resolved” if they feel it is resolved to other support forums where they “Resolve” a problem by replying to it and then the poster has to either re-open it or start another thread.

• PTaubman
    • Recruit

I’m with patricia_dumond on this one. The status does not bother me, in fact, I do not even recall seeing it! LOL – this means all my tickets are probably still open even though they have truly been handled.

One last thing – I often read through support issues and although it may not be resolved for the submitter, the first solution suggested by support works for me. Had I only filtered on ‘Closed’ or ‘Resolved’ I may have missed an answer that works for me.

• Timothy
    • Chief Pigeon

We use to come along and ask people again if they need further help, we marked them resolved too and said something like they can reopen if an issue still exists. This aggravated some people (I was one of those members before I started working here) for one of two reasons:

– They’d get an email notification but were done with the thread, they saw it as spammy

– They were not ready for it to be marked resolved and needed more time, didn’t like the pressure or annoyance of having to mark it unresolved.

Both are the exact opposite of each other, both created strong emotional responses as we were seen to either spam or treat their issue flippantly just wanting to mark everything as resolved due to some inactivity. The current method keeps a happy balance and is most likely to remain, we can’t force people to close.

Whilst we do have bugs and issues we need to address, the vast majority of posts are either custom, not reading the usage instructions or not looking through plugin settings whilst setting it up, that’s not to say we don’t have loads of room for improvement, the most common user issues are usually added to our usage docs or passed to our UI/UX team for consideration depending on the plugin.

Cheers.

• Debbie
    • Weaver of Webbs

I also find it helpful to be able to read through issues whether they’re marked as resolved or not as what is suggested either solves the problem, or helps by steering me in a new direction which ultimately solves the problem.

• Adam Czajczyk
    • Support Gorilla

Hello Debbie, hello Paul!

I think you both made a good point. I know from experience here that there are a lot of threads that are not resolved because the solution either didn’t work for original poster or she/he simply… abandoned the issue. The same solution however works for other members of our community.

Yet, we’re not marking those threads resolved because in many cases we actually never get any confirmation that the solution worked (not from original poster), neither we get any feedback and/or information that it didn’t work. The bottom line is, “automatic” or “forced” closing them could make it really hard for you to find solutions to various issues because when filtering by closed/open mark you could then miss many helpful threads :slight_smile:

That’s just my two cents :slight_smile: Thanks for adding your valuable insight to this discussion!

Cheers,

Adam

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.