Offer a global shared media library with pictures that every blogger could use on his website

Getting a nice web site/blog is not easy for beginners, even with cool predefined themes. That being said adding some quality pictures in pages can dramatically improve their appearance. But finding such quality images and using them without copyright infringement is not easy for novices. Therefore I would find very useful to offer a shared media library with pictures that every blogger could use on his website.

The global administrator could fill this library with pictures he would have chosen. For example, edublogs could offer a shared library with professional pictures related to education : http://www.istockphoto.com/file_search.php?action=file&text=education

Better : this pictures could be organized by categories. For example : School building / School administration / School activities / …

Another advantage of such a shared library could be to limit the number of files uploaded by users and thus reduce the hosting costs. Such a library could be called “Nameofblogplatform shared library” and the default Wordpress library could be renamed “your files” (for example).

Would you be interested in developing such a plugin?

• drmike
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

Would you be interested in developing such a plugin?

We've discussed this previously. Best bet would be for you to create a blog with the images, information about the urls to use and instructions on how to use them. Allowing anyone to contribute images is a legal nightmare and I believe most of us agreed on that.

If you;re running an open system, one that anyone can create a blog, also running a FAQ/ tutorial blog in additional to having a support forum as well as a FAQ site is a huge plus. That's what they do over at edublogs:

http://edublogs.org/forums/
    http://help.edublogs.org/
    http://theedublogger.com/

The blog is a bug plus also if you;re running your install as a niche. As Sue demonstrates, you can mix your tutorials with real world applications and show how things work together.

Hope this helps,
    -drmike

• Lorange
    • The Incredible Code Injector

Best bet would be for you to create a blog with the images, information about the urls to use and instructions on how to use them.

Yes, this could be a solution... but not really what I imagined: something quick, easy and fully integrated.

Allowing anyone to contribute images is a legal nightmare and I believe most of us agreed on that.

Sorry if I was not clear enough. This library would not be filled by users. It would be filled by the superadmin only. The idea is to provide a small bank of pictures that could serve most of users in the network to illustrate their pages and posts with high quality and properly licenced pictures.

• Mason
    • DEV MAN’s Sidekick

Hiya Lorange,

I agree. Having a nice gallery of images for your users that they know they can use would be awesome. Unfortunately, the media gallery in WordPress is very limited when it comes to any sort of multi-site experience. Maybe WordPress 3.2?

Anybody else have any ideas? I know some have tried using the New blog Template plugin to create a template blog that has photos setup in the NexGen Gallery plugins, but I don't think that solutions worked very well either.

• hiptobesmart
    • Flash Drive

I've been toying with the idea of building something like this. Perhaps a tinyMCE plugin that pulls from a global database. It would be populated by the superadmin with references to existing media library items (or perhaps one certain media library and only items with a certain tag), which inserts the selected item in the form of image tags or short codes with static urls. I haven't had time recently but I'll give it some more thought.

• Paul
    • New Recruit

Hi All,

I've been searching for a 'shared media library' for quite some time. My objective is to have one 'mediablog' where media is uploaded, and give all the other subdomains access (readonly) to these files, through their wordpress media libraries. I've found a lot of discussion on various websites regarding such a feature, but nobody seems to have the solution.

Any updates or thoughts?

Thx!
    Paul

• coburnenterprises
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

Hi there - I was looking for a plugin for this when It slapped me in the face - if I use the New Blog Template Plugin https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/new-blog-template and put the media into the media library of my "template site(s)" then that media is available to all users I use that template for .... just tested it and it works great! (just add the media using the media library not via a post so the images are not "attached" anywhere - then your users can go and grab them at will :slight_smile:. ... in case I haven't said it lately I love WPMU - my membership is totally worth it! Harmony

• Giovanni
    • The Incredible Code Injector

@bettereverything

Thanks for that. If you do that, will your images on posts that are on the template blog transfer?

Also, I'm using MarketPress and all the featured images on all products in the template blog don't transfer to the new blog?

How exactly do you go about that?

Thanks,
    Giovanni

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.