Offer A Trial Membership But Not On The 'Admin Gateway'

Hi Guys,

Here's the thing...

I really like the membership plugin but am having a bit of trouble making it fit my requirements.

In short, I use my buddypress themes registration page and give all new members a 14 day free trial. After the 14 days are up they then need to pay for a membership. This all works just fine...

The problem is that members have to wait until the 14 days have expired before they can pay to regain access. The issue I think is because all members on the trial are automatically added to the 'Admin Gateway' until they upgrade..

How can I hack/change this so that members can upgrade at anytime and not just when it expires? I'm pretty sure I'm leaving a lot of money on the table here...

Thanks
Rob

• Barry

In short, I use my buddypress themes registration page and give all new members a 14 day free trial.

I assume by that you are not using the Membership registration form?

How can I hack/change this so that members can upgrade at anytime and not just when it expires? I'm pretty sure I'm leaving a lot of money on the table here...

You need to disable the standard registration in WordPress then create a subscription page in your site and add in the Membership shortcode so that the Membership plugin controls the regsitration.

• godrob

That's correct Barry; I am NOT using the Membership registration form at the minute...

If I were, wouldn't the user have to choose the free trial option from the list of subscriptions when registering, For example:

Free 14 Day Trial
    1 X Month
    3 X Months
    6 X Months
    12 X Months

Ideally, I want them to automatically be put on the 14 Day Trial without them having to select the option, if that makes sense?

The reason being, if they know from the outset that there will be a charge then they are much more likely not to register in the first place. However, if they were automatically assigned to the trial then I can market to them, and convince them over a few days that my site is worth paying for...

So, is it possible to offer a Free Trial automatically and then for a member to upgrade within their trial period?

Thanks for your help
    Rob.

• Barry

If I were, wouldn't the user have to choose the free trial option from the list of subscriptions when registering

No, not if you set a default subscription for the user - they'd go from signup to Thanks for signing up.

So, is it possible to offer a Free Trial automatically and then for a member to upgrade within their trial period?

Only if they are using the Membership subscription form.

• godrob

Hi Barry,

Okay, so I've gone into my Dashboard and disabled registrations, and so I am solely relying on the Membership plugin to handle new registrations.

I can see the new membership registration page now and try to register as a new user under my '14 day free trial subscription'. I fill out the form, username, password, that kind of stuff and hit the submit key to continue.

...But instead of automatically being assigned to the '14 day free trial' subscription as I need to achieve. I HAVE to choose a subscription level to progress further.

I'm using the latest version of Wordpress/BuddyPress and Membership 2.07

The Membership 'Options Menu' confirms that user registration go to the 14 day free trial subscription.

Please help?

Thanks
    Rob

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.