Offering New Blog Templates according to ProSites level

I’ve found a lot of questions on this going back a few years but no answers so far, so apologies if it’s been covered and I missed it.

I’m trying to offer a range of plug-and-play websites, with an expanding set of plugins and themes for each higher ProSites level.

I’ve just spent a couple of weeks setting it up and making a couple of templates for each level, using the extra plugins and premium themes, but there doesn’t seem to be any way of restricting the ‘premium’ templates to paid users.

In fact, a free user can sign up and select the top level template, and all premium plugins are activated on the resulting site.

I missed the new features discussion on NBT, so I was wondering if anyone had come up with some sort of solution for this?

I had thought the pro level plugins and themes would simply not be available to a free user, but that’s not the case. Anyone know a way to control this?

Or an easy way for users to select and install a template AFTER they’ve selected a pro sites package?

About the only other option I can think of is walking pro users through an import process, but that defeats the purpose a bit?

Any suggestions much appreciated!

• PC
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hey there,

Greetings and thanks for posting on the forums.

I see your point here and this is not possible at the moment to restrict a blog template to only a particular Pro site level.

https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/vote-on-the-features-you-like-to-be-there-in-the-plugin is the thread for discussion and I would request you to add your thoughts on that thread as well.

It would be a very valuable feature I reckon. I have also sent a note to @ignacio separately.

Let me see what he thinks on this one.

Cheers

PC

Sales &Support

• yorkey181
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

Thanks PC, that’s about what I was expecting unfortunately.

What I would suggest is that someone update the New Blog Template info and the ProSites info to explain this … I’ve just wasted two weeks on this and from poking around the forums it seems I’m not the first!

Make it clear that the Plugins/Themes used in the template will over-ride the ProSites settings for who gets access to what.

As far as the Features Request goes … I personally think the logical order would be to select a package, pay for it, then select a template and set up the website etc. Seems very disjointed in the current format.

In the meantime, I’m still interested in hearing any ideas on how people are providing pre-configured websites to different level users?

I can think of a few options, but they’re all a bit clumsy and I hope someone’s got better ideas…

1. Using Membership to connect the different ProSites levels, and then giving them access to the appropriate import/export files for the templates?

2. Creating a separate ProSites install for each level of template … ie. free, basic, premium and pro.

3. Offering the template sites as an upsell … new user sets up for free, selects a package based on the template they want, and then I install the template manually.

4. Write it all off as a learning experience and forget about it!

Any alternatives much appreciated cause right now I’m about ready to give up.

Cheers

Matt

• Ignacio
    • HummingBird

Hi @yorkey181.

We are currently working on this. In a few days I’ll post the new features that NBT will have in the next version. We released a version some days ago and I’m waiting just in case there are some fixings to do. Once the plugin is stable we’ll think about the next version.

Pro Sites integration is on the list and most probably will be added to the next version. I’ll add your post to our features list to pick some ideas.

Regards.

Ignacio.

• C.J.
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

Any word on this yet? I’d like to create a dozen templates or so, and then based upon user level they can have access to each level. Either that or create a product in MarketPress that grants access to certain templates.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.