Ok Have just sat and watched all the tutorial vids

Ok

Have just sat and watched all the tutorial vids on membership, but still have a couple of questions.

Will it be possible to incorporate 'social login' plugin and membership? By that I mean will I be able to have free members use the social login buttons to get access to my groups, forums etc, and then if they want to be able to view and reply to dog walking jobs my free users post in the classifieds board will I be able to get them to upgrade to paid membership using membership?

Noting that the rest of the classifieds will be accessible to all ie dog products, but I want a jobs board on the site where dog owners can list things they need like a dog walker/sitter. If possible, I'd like the jobs board to show on the site in a completely different section to the 'dog items for sale'. Is there also a way to do this? Sorry I know this crosses over into the classifieds plugin questions, but just trying to get a general idea and it's so complicated to explain in multiple posts.

Thanks

Sally

• Jack Kitterhing
    • Code Norris

Hi there Sally,

Hope you're well today and thanks for your question.

This should be possible, the social login plugin you use, would use the view settings set in membership > options > general "stranger settings".

Then to have the job board part in a separate section, you could create that on a sub domain, or use a job board plugin and have a certain menu shown when your on the job board if that makes sense?

Or are you using classifieds for the job board?

Thanks!

Kind Regards
    Jack.

• Sally
    • The Crimson Coder

Thanks Jack

I was going to use the classifieds for the job board (on recommendation of wpmu pre-sales support), but the sub domains sound confusing, so thought i'd go and download a job board plugin instead after reading your advice lol

So I've downloaded wp job manager, and it looks ok apart from I can't for the life of me work out what all this https://github.com/mikejolley/WP-Job-Manager/wiki/Editing-Job-Submission-Fields means.. I'm just trying to delete a few parts on that form, ie I don't need the company details/website sections, I just want dog owners to be able to list when they want their dogs walking or sitting :slight_smile:

Is it as complicated as it looks? I can't seem to find a youtube tutorial on it to ask where to find this code or what to do with it. Should I just give up with this plugin now? I can't really afford to hire someone to remove these for me. Wondered if you knew of a better job board I could use which is free to use? It needs to be able to have jobs listed by users on the front end ideally.

Thanks

Sally

• Sally
    • The Crimson Coder

Gah! Have officially broken it! :'( This is not my day...

Link removed at members request you'll have to log in to see it (hopefully the facebook login should work to make this easy for anyone who can take a look, but basically I removed the stuff I didnt want, and ended up with

Warning: Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in /home/rrokngem/public_html/*******.co.uk/wp-content/plugins/wp-job-manager/includes/forms/class-wp-job-manager-form-submit-job.php on line 347

all over the top :slight_frown:

I also still have 'Company details' still randomly showing at the bottom there, I don't know why? (and I don't also know why 'Custom label' is at the top. Can I change this to 'Brief description of your needs'?

Have I done everything else right?

I can't even find these two things to remove in the code, and I have no idea how to begin getting rid of the invalid argument text.

Can someone please help? :slight_frown: Happy for any admin to log in to take a look if need be, this has been driving me crazy all day lol

Thanks so much for your time!

Sally

• Sally
    • The Crimson Coder

Thanks Jack for all your help :slight_smile:

The things I wanted to change were;

'Custom label' - not sure what this means.. Could it be changed to 'Brief description of your needs'? Then perhaps people could type in there something like 'dog sitter wanted for occasional saturdays' etc.

Then everything up until 'application email/url' is fine - I'd like to change this to something like 'Email address', I don't need the url as it's going to be the general public posting jobs to get a walker or sitter for their dog.

Similarly, because of the nature of the job poster, I don't need any of the 'company details' questions, so they can all be removed.

The only other things which would be nice to have in there would be a field for the job poster to add a photo of their dog (if it would be able to be added to the job board, just to grab peoples attention). I guess this would be best to appear just above the email address question and be called something like 'Please feel free to attach a photo of your dog(s).'

The photo thing isn't essential though if it's not possible to make it appear on the front end to dog walkers looking to apply for the jobs.

Lastly, I read something somewhere about using 'child themes'. Do I need to worry about this with Wordpress? I can't even remember what they are! Last time I heard of them was about 5 years ago when building a site with Joomla (badly!)

Thanks again Jack, sorry to be a pain and sound stupid! Really struggled with this today!

• Jack Kitterhing
    • Code Norris

Hiya Sally,

Hope you're well today, thanks for the additional information :slight_smile:

Sure, I'd be happy to take a look at this, doesn't look like fields are remove able on the job plugin your using, did you find that? Or did you add/remove fields? :slight_smile:

If not, don't worry we can do it with some css for example, I'll also download the plugin and take a look, for changing any text, For changing text, you can use our Ultimate Branding plugin here https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/ultimate-branding/

Thank you!

Kind Regards
    Jack.

• Sally
    • The Crimson Coder

Hi Jack

All I did was delete parts which it looked like I didn't need, for example

'company_twitter' => array(
    'label' => __( 'Twitter username', 'job_manager' ),
    'type' => 'text',
    'required' => false,
    'placeholder' => __( '@yourcompany', 'job_manager' ),
    'priority' => 4

I just deleted all this, which made the twitter option disappear, and I deleted the others I want deleted, but somewhere along the way I must have deleted something I shouldn't have as I got all that error code.

So I asked the creator of wp job manager just what I should be doing and he said this;

HI Sally,

That snippet in docs can be used - just instead of adding a field like this:

$fields['job']['job_title']['label'] = "Custom Label";
    You instead unset a field like this:

unset( $fields['company']['company_name'] );
    Field names are here: https://github.com/mikejolley/WP-Job-Manager/blob/v1.2.0/includes/forms/class-wp-job-manager-form-submit-job.php#L149

Thanks

Which went completely over my head really to be honest! So I asked him where I should be doing this, and he said;

'The code in my doc needs to be copied to your theme functions.php file - yourtheme/functions.php. Most themes include this file.

Edit the file via FTP if possible, but you can also use the theme editor in wordpress if you are careful.'

Does any of that make any sense to you? I'm afraid he lost me when he said I need to 'unset' stuff?

Would it be easier to go down the classifieds plugin option instead? The only thing is I don't know how to do this on a sub domain.. is it easy?

It's important that members of my site can submit jobs on the front end and that only premium members can reply to these jobs. I'm trying to use membership for that. If you know of a better plugin I could be using for this please let me know.

You can see the details of what I'm trying to achieve with membership on the thread https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/how-do-i-set-this-up-am-i-doing-it-the-right-way

Thanks again

Sally

• Sally
    • The Crimson Coder

Hi Jack,

Thanks for that! That's actually explained a lot to me, finally clicked what the creator was talking about putting this unset code somewhere lol. Took me a minute to work out where the plugin was or what it had done but now that makes more sense! I bet I'm driving you mad!

A couple more things (sorry!) How do I change the text 'custom label', or just remove that field?

Lastly, how do I get rid of the remaining text at the bottom which says 'Company details in bold'?

Thanks again for all your help! Wouldn't have had a clue without you!

• Jack Kitterhing
    • Code Norris

Hi there Sally,

Hope you're well today, your most welcome! :slight_smile:

Sure we can do that, but this would have to be edited in the plugin code, which would be overwritten on update, are you okay with that?

If so, let me know and I'll remove it, if you could send me FTP to contact(at)wpmudev.org with the subject line Attn: Jack Kitterhing

I thought you had sent FTP, but couldn't locate it when I checked :slight_smile:

Thanks!

Kind Regards
    Jack.

• Sally
    • The Crimson Coder

Hi Jack

That's ok, so long as I know how to fix it when it updates. In fact, an update has just been released for job manager, but I'm not sure whether or not it's safe to update it at the moment? Will it overwrite the plugin you sent me?

I'll resend the FTP now :slight_smile:

Thanks

Sally

• Sally
    • The Crimson Coder

Thanks Jack

Just added the CSS and tried to fill the form in, but got the error 'custom label is a required field'

If the custom label must be shown, can I just change the text on the form from 'custom label' to something like 'Brief description' somehow?

Thanks

Sally

• Jack Kitterhing
    • Code Norris

Hi there Sally,

Hope you're well today, out of interest has this been edited at all?

As I've downloaded a fresh copy of the plugin and the custom label should actually be job title, and custom label doesn't exist in the plugin I downloaded? :slight_smile:

Please advise.

Thanks!

Kind Regards
    Jack.

• Sally
    • The Crimson Coder

Hi

I've now fixed the issue with the faulty code mentioned in the post directly above, so I'm back to trying to get the job form to work.

I'm still getting the error that 'custom label is a required field' when I try to submit the form, so is it possible to just get custom label to show, but with the title 'Brief description of your requirements' instead?

• Sally
    • The Crimson Coder

Hi Jack

Yes, I did that last night, it should now be called 'Brief description of your requirements' if I did it correctly.

I used the Network wide text change tab, with the following settings;

find this text - custom label

in this text domain - Link removed at members request

and replace it with - Brief description of your requirements

Thanks

Sally

• Sally
    • The Crimson Coder

Ok the reason the custom label wasn't showing was due to the

.fieldset-job_title {
    display: none;
    }

text which I think you told me to add to my css. Removed that now, and the title is back as 'Custom Label', not as 'Brief description of your requirements' as it should do according to ultimate branding plugin.

Have tried ticking and unticking the ignore case button, and even removing the domain to make it sitewide, but thing appears to be making any difference, have I done this right?

Thanks

Sally

• Jack Kitterhing
    • Code Norris

Hi Sally,

Hope you're well today.

This should work, you can add to your functions.php of your theme :slight_smile:

// Add your own function to filter the fields
    add_filter( 'submit_job_form_fields', 'custom_submit_job_form_fields' );

//function which takes the fields, modifies them, and returns them
    function custom_submit_job_form_fields( $fields ) {

// Here we target one of the job fields (job_title) and change it's label
        $fields['job']['job_title']['label'] = "Brief Description of your requirements";

// And return the modified fields
        return $fields;
    }

Thanks!

Kind Regards
    Jack

• Sally
    • The Crimson Coder

Hi Jack

I added that, and I've had the same problem I've had before when adding code to this file. Please see my site at Link removed at members request it's pretty obvious black text.

I know it's caused by me not opening and closing the file properly, but I'm not sure exactly how to do this. I just tried moving stuff around myself and completely destroyed my site so had to go back into the cpanel of the site to put the code back how it is now - I couldn't even get in via dashboard.

Would you please be able to tell me what's wrong here and what it should be?

<?php
    /**
    * Register our sidebars and widgetized areas.
    */
    function arphabet_widgets_init() {

register_sidebar( array(
    'name' => 'Home right sidebar',
    'id' => 'home_right_1',
    'before_widget' => '<div>',
    'after_widget' => '</div>',
    'before_title' => '<h2 class="rounded">',
    'after_title' => '</h2>',
    ) );
    }
    add_action( 'widgets_init', 'arphabet_widgets_init' );

if ( function_exists( 'register_nav_menus' ) ) {
    register_nav_menus( array(
    'footer-nav' => __( 'Footer Navigation',TEMPLATE_DOMAIN ),
    ) );
    }
    ?>

// Add your own function to filter the fields
    add_filter( 'submit_job_form_fields', 'custom_submit_job_form_fields' );

//function which takes the fields, modifies them, and returns them
    function custom_submit_job_form_fields( $fields ) {

// Here we target one of the job fields (job_title) and change it's label
    $fields['job']['job_title']['label'] = "Brief Description of your requirements";

// And return the modified fields
    return $fields;
    }

Thanks

Sally

• Sally
    • The Crimson Coder

I've now removed this black text by going back to

<?php
    /**
    * Register our sidebars and widgetized areas.
    */
    function arphabet_widgets_init() {

register_sidebar( array(
    'name' => 'Home right sidebar',
    'id' => 'home_right_1',
    'before_widget' => '<div>',
    'after_widget' => '</div>',
    'before_title' => '<h2 class="rounded">',
    'after_title' => '</h2>',
    ) );
    }
    add_action( 'widgets_init', 'arphabet_widgets_init' );

if ( function_exists( 'register_nav_menus' ) ) {
    register_nav_menus( array(
    'footer-nav' => __( 'Footer Navigation',TEMPLATE_DOMAIN ),
    ) );
    }
    ?>

Got quite a bit of help from Patrick in live chat, but everything I tried to get this to work just resulted in fatal errors and black text with the whole website completely disappearing.

Is there a problem with the code at all?

Thanks

Sally

• Sally
    • The Crimson Coder

Hi Jack

Thanks for that, however, have installed it and I get this warning;

Plugin could not be activated because it triggered a fatal error.

Fatal error: Cannot redeclare custom_submit_job_form_fields() (previously declared in /home/rrokngem/public_html/thehouseofdog.co.uk/wp-content/themes/bp-fun/functions.php:19) in /home/rrokngem/public_html/thehouseofdog.co.uk/wp-content/plugins/Custom-label/custom-label.php on line 42

• Jack Kitterhing
    • Code Norris

Hi Sally,

I got it working, but it still doesn't change that title :slight_frown:

But that is meant to do that and is based on the code on Github for changing it.

Can we re-install the whole job manager plugin and see if that helps at all? For the re-install, can you make sure the database tables for it (or options in wp_options) are deleted, before the re-install? :slight_smile:

Thanks!

Kind Regards
    Jack.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.