Ok I have been excited about prosect of getting 1000s

Point police??

Ok I have been excited about prospect of getting 1000s of point on this community but I see my points are fluctating and I now only have 7 points . there should be no reason for them to be taken away and why are they so low???? I will never get anywhere like this. I feel like I am jumping through all of your hoops to say the least. Who is the point police that is taking away points and why does this person not like me?

• Jack Kitterhing

Hi there @PCactive

I hope you are well today, We don't have any point police you'll be pleased to here :slight_smile:

I have checked and you should indeed have more than 9, have clicked on the give points button to anyone else? As that deducts from your total amount of points?

Please advise, :slight_smile:

Thank you!

Kind Regards
    Jack.

P,S Just given you some points :slight_smile:

• PCactive

So I thought awarding points would actually be of benefit to me and a win win to all. I think the issuing of points should be community driven. I have been awarding points. They should not be taken away when I award. I very much want that ability to do this. Please do not take them away. I can see myself being very much involved in the community and plan to give back by answering others question when I actually know what I am talking about but, I should not have points removed for enocouraging others to particiapte as well. It is all about particpation, I feel. The more who particpate, the better for us all. We all should have the ability to award points, if we particpate. Maybe only allow people to award points if they have points, but do not take those points away?. I feel like I am being punished for searching and punished for particpating. It defeats the purpose of what a point reward system should be about. Thank you.

• PCactive

I have actually given as much as 50 points to individuals who have already answered my question, or who have asked the question I was about to ask, without realizing those points were being deducted.

So to get the lifetime membership, how many points do you need to have? Or better yet, how many threads, and/or comments do you need to have? I am more than willing to participate on this community, but I cannot keep paying over 450 a year when I have done my part by encouraging activity. I Know the importantce of community particpations (I have had a community driven website since 2007) and it should be encouraged and rewarded.

• Jack Kitterhing

Hi there @PCactive

Thank you for the additional clarification.

I'm afraid to have give points, the user giving them must actually have the points and it's auto deducted from their total, as otherwise if it was just a general thing where anyone could gift anyone points even without having them, it might cause a few issues.

If say a user had 200 points and wanted to gift 50 of them to someone else that isn't a problem, but a user with 10 couldn't gift as they don't have 50 points to give, we of course need to maintain a balance :slight_smile:

Here's a link with some more info on the lifetime memberships https://premium.wpmudev.org/1000-rep-points/

Thank you!

Kind Regards
    Jack.

• PCactive

So why are staff and/or people with life time membership being so stinchy with their points? Why do they need to show they have 1000s of points? Why are people with over a 1000 points not awarding 50 points every opportunity they get? Otherwise it is very discouraging to be actively involved in a community and not going anywhere but down. To be only awarded 1,2 or even 10 point by a staff member or lifetime member who has 1000s awarded to them, is an extremley frustrating system.

I realize now what the system is, but I am saying it is flawed. Please look into a better solution. Thank you.

• Jack Kitterhing

Hi there @PCactive

I hope you are well today and thank you for your additional input.

I don't believe people are being stingy on purpose, it's just we give different amounts of points for different answers, if someone gives a handy link we might give 5, if someone comes in with some custom code for the member we might give 30 or maybe even 50, but it's rare to give a large amount of points like 50. It does vary from staff to staff, as we don't have set rules on that, it's down to our personal opinion. We of course want to encourage as many members as possible to take part in the community and be actively involved, that's why we originally created the life time memberships :slight_smile:

I hope that helps clear that up :slight_smile:

Thank you!

Kind Regards
    Jack.

• TheGhostHybrid

Actually, I think this system is kind of cool! It reflects real-world economics, and while no system of payment or trade is perfect, this one seems pretty darn straightforward and even more fair than a lot of offline stuff.

For example, the site in effect "pays" you just for making a post, being public, and all that good stuff. It's rare to find someone in the outernet who'll pay you just for asking a question or giving some news. It's not like points garner interest or anything, either—they're the result of either effort made via posting or value deemed by someone in the community. That's it, and it's almost pretty in its simplicity. =)

• Dev4

I personnally have found the 5 or 10 points i get from a staff memebr to be a great validation of my attempts to help.
    Every time i get one i proudly tell my spouse about it. it's like getting a gold star in gramar school. :slight_smile:.

I think if you help a lot and people give you a little here and there, you still should not expect to earn a lifetime membership in a few months.

It might take a while, but shouldn't it?

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.