Ok, I may just prove I AM a complete idiot...

...and I know this is not the best place to ask this question... but I am sure that the people here will probably know the answer... and probably enjoy getting a howl out of me asking this question... so here it goes.

I am running WPMU, not yet using multi-db, but I'm in the process of planning my attack... today I decided I'd just double check how long before I'm in trouble... you know with the whole number of files in a directory thing... and this is what I discovered...

** My mysql directory has over 130,000 files in in it. **

No kidding... there appear to be about 51 files PER blog... and since we have around 2700 blogs, that adds up pretty fast.

How do I get 51 files per blog, well, I have a couple plugins installed/built that install per blog tables, things like a stats plugin and polls plugin, etc... but it also appears as if for each table I get 3 files, a .frm, .MYD, and .MYI... so the point is... lots of files.

Now, I thought there was a 32k file limit... apparently not.

I am running Fedora Core 6, and these are mounted as a ext3 file system.

So my question is:

1) Am I going crazy?
2) Is there not really a limit in ext3?

yes, yes, yes... I know, this has nothing to do with Andrew and his premium plugins... except for the fact that I was planning on using his plugins to address a problem which I apparently all ready have or maybe don't have or maybe... jeez I'm totally confused.

    drmike

    51 files per blog sounds a tad high. Each database table gets three files created by MySQL which meand each blog has 17 tables. Either you've got plugins creating each tables (wp-shortstats created 2 tables, the polls plugin we use creates 3, etc.) or you did that upgrade a few versions back and the older tables didn't get deleted.

    I thought there was a directory limit as well but, from recent experience, it seems like there isn't any more.

    The problem with that though is when I ran daria.be, is that I did hit the limit and it was about 21k files. I *think* we were on Fedora2 but it's been so long....

    BSD based OSes appear to not have this problem.

    I never did get that transfer database tables script to work although I didn't try too hard. I kept having a problem with getting the table names to match up.