Ok, I may just prove I AM a complete idiot…

…and I know this is not the best place to ask this question… but I am sure that the people here will probably know the answer… and probably enjoy getting a howl out of me asking this question… so here it goes.

I am running WPMU, not yet using multi-db, but I’m in the process of planning my attack… today I decided I’d just double check how long before I’m in trouble… you know with the whole number of files in a directory thing… and this is what I discovered…

** My mysql directory has over 130,000 files in in it. **

No kidding… there appear to be about 51 files PER blog… and since we have around 2700 blogs, that adds up pretty fast.

How do I get 51 files per blog, well, I have a couple plugins installed/built that install per blog tables, things like a stats plugin and polls plugin, etc… but it also appears as if for each table I get 3 files, a .frm, .MYD, and .MYI… so the point is… lots of files.

Now, I thought there was a 32k file limit… apparently not.

I am running Fedora Core 6, and these are mounted as a ext3 file system.

So my question is:

1) Am I going crazy?

2) Is there not really a limit in ext3?

yes, yes, yes… I know, this has nothing to do with Andrew and his premium plugins… except for the fact that I was planning on using his plugins to address a problem which I apparently all ready have or maybe don’t have or maybe… jeez I’m totally confused.