ok it's now September 2012, I'm about to activate the affiliate plugin and I need help.

If I have memberships running, and I'm about to enable affiliates, is there any advice I need to know? Steps to take, or other things?
I only have one test member.
I'm running all up to date stuff.
multisite installation on one domain, with two themes. One main and one in a subdirectory. I have simple press installed and have set up memberships properly, I think.
I hid the wordpress dashboard for members and I don't know if they will need that for the affiliate info. I have a theme by wpzoom and they added a widget in the dash I can't seem to remove.
Please, anyone with experience at this, please give me some pointers. I'm now at the tail end of configuration and I want to make the right choices.
I chose wpmudev membership and affiliate over s2member and idev affiliate, for reasons unknown. I guess I wanted to give wpmudev a shot so maybe the plugins would act nice with each other etc. and for future upgrade simplification.

• Tom Eagles

Hey there again @william_bronson

Glad to see ya moving forward.

How i approached the affiliate program was to create a page called affliate program and used the shortcodes that you can see on the plugins page.

This bypassed the need for the dashboard version of it, because if they are logged in they can see their information or join the program if not already a participant,

as far as the widget by wpzoom, what exactky is in there, some themes require users to set some things up via a dashboard widget or use some features that are unique to that theme.

I am not sure if it would be possible to remove it, your best bet would be to contact the author directly to see what if any impact that removal may have on the theme or its setup.

Hope this helps, feel free to come back with any questions or comments.

Cheers

Tom

• aecnu

Greetings william_bronson,

Thank you for this great question and the lack of confidence when choosing the hardest plugin in the lot to configure i.e. Membership

Tom kindly gave a great suggestion on how he dealt with the affiliate items (great job Tom!) and thinking out of the box.

I have a theme by wpzoom and they added a widget in the dash I can't seem to remove.

I have no advice for the removal of the widget except contacting the author and asking him about removing the code or disabling it.

Cheers, Joe