OK now I have the site up and sort of working but have lost all of my data.

what makes no sense to me is it is all still in the database so whats going on here. please I need an assist here. reimporting directly to the database makes no difference. the file don't change but post don't show up in all posts. pages don't show up in all pages and menu items are completely gone from an extensive menu. how can I recoup these items.

• Leonard

I've moved to another hosting account and have successfully moved everything except my menus and categories were not there. the move had to be manual because the automated-move required a file that did not exist in the normal manual install of WP. I have since rebuilt two of the menu's but am missing two others. I would just like to know where menu information is stored in the data base so I can restore from an earlier back up with out issue by modifying the back up files so it would just be an import of the two specific menus and the same for categories. but I don't know where that info is stored.

• Michelle Shull

Hi there, Leonard!

The short answer is: it depends.

The longer answer: If I were to guess, I'd think one of your post_ tables got corrupted or dropped during the migration. Can you compare your newly imported database with the working database on your old server and see if you notice any difference in the number of tables?

If you do, I'd try re-exporting your database on the old host and then re-importing it on the new one.

Hope this helps!

• Leonard

So menu's and categories exist in multiple places that seems sloppy to me. since the basic design of wordpress isn't terribly sloppy. I should be able to import menu links from somewhere as well as categories I just need to know where to find them in the database. I have imported the entire database a table at a time due to issues with the different hosting accounts. and this one site lost all categories and menu's everything else was ok. so I'm wondering where the information would have been stored so I don't have to go through each and every table line by line. does anyne know where that information gets stored. thanks in advance.

• Leonard

another possibility is I may be able to run a database restore from within wp restoring an old copy but If I do that it will restore the entire database which contains all of our hosted sites as well and there are changes that every account requires because of the new host so this would kill all 40+ sites until the corrections could be implemented effectively shutting down business until all corrections are completed. I have already done that in each of the sites once, before making the new host live and do not relish doing it again for the one site that wasn't properly populated. But it is our primary site as well. so I have to make the corrections any way I can. since the original hosting account has been terminated I don't have it as a reference I need to know where the data was stored for that reason. It is obvious it was not in the post or options tables. would it be held in the post_meta table and since the menu's where all custom links the links meta table I have already imported them and no change. let me know what you can. thanks