OK, so what's the purpose of [eab_calendar] if it doesn't work properly?

WP: 3.5.1, BP: 1.6.4, Events+: 1.53, Example URL: http://moparclubconnections.com/events-calendar

I've read three threads so far:

https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/events-calendar-display-show-prevnext-month-navigation?replies=20#post-324417
https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/next-previous-months#post-349249
https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/calendar-shortcode-not-showing-nextprev-month-links#post-335768

and all of them basically say the same thing. Your page slug for your events page must match the slug defined in the settings for it to work properly. By working properly I mean there's a indication of which month you're viewing and the Prev/Next links at the bottom of the calendar.

Now, if you set up a page with a slug named "events-calendar" for example, but leave the slug named "events" in the settings page, you still get a calendar, but with NO month indicator NOR Prev/Next at the bottom of the calendar.

If I wanted to drop the calendar on any random page, it will only display the calendar without the heading nor navigation.

I read another thread where I could use the date option: [eab_calendar date="01/01/13"] for January, then [eab_calendar date="02/01/13"] for February, etc.. But that's like hard-coding. I need to control the page slug so I can use the Membership plugin to restrict the calendar feature for "Premium Members".

So, my question is this: Why have this shortcode if it doesn't work? Are there plans to address this?

Other than that, I think the plugin rocks!

-Jeff

• Jeff Schodde
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

Update

Thank God for jquery! If you look at my page:

http://moparclubconnections.com/events-calendar

You'll see that I've resorted to using the shortcode in this manner for each tab:
    [eab_calendar date="01/01/2013"]
    [eab_calendar date="02/01/2013"]
    [eab_calendar date="03/01/2013"]
    etc...

For those interested in setting up your calendar this way, truck on over to Codecanyon and search for Visual Composer.

Still, I would like someone to address my original post!

Oh, screenshot show's my progress so far (Jan-Apr). I'll have the entire year set up shortly.

Thanks,
    Jeff

• PC
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hiya,

I also tested this on my lab site and I agree with your judgements however the best person to answer this one is our lead developer Vlad.

I have marked this post to his attention and he should be here sooner than later.

PS : That is a nice suggestion in your second post :slight_smile:

Cheers, PC

• Brian Purkiss
    • Smushie Pies

We hope you were able to resolve this. Since this thread has been inactive for some time I am going to go ahead and close the ticket. If you were unable to resolve it or have any further questions, please feel free to re-open the ticket – we are more than happy to help!

• flowta
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hi

I have this issue also.Jeff's solution of entering the date manually is a godsend (thanks Jeff) but not a solution.
    Is there a way of setting this date variable relative to the current date so I can show (for instance) the current month, and next month, without having to edit the display page each month? A call to a current month system function would suffice?
    That would completely solve my issue.
    Thanks for listening :slight_smile:
    Gary

• Vladislav
    • Dead Eye Dev

Hi,

Like Brian said, the calendar shortcode will start with the current date (i.e. current month) if no date argument is present. Can you please try removing the date argument entirely from your shortcode, and see if it matches the scenario you're after?

• flowta
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Thanks for the responses, much appreciated.
    @vladislav, originally, I used only two shortcodes. [eab_calendar] on a page titled 'Classes', and [eab_expired] on a child page titled 'Expired Classes'.
    The classes page worked fine, except that it only shows one month, the current month. As the date progressed the highlighted date moved, as expected. But the full calendar date display always showed from the start of the month, and towards the end of the month there is effectively no look forward at all. On month expiry, the calendar updated. There are no buttons for users to progress to the next month.
    So I need either buttons to allow users to view the next month, or for the calendar to jump forward showing a full month ahead each week change.
    This is probably just my ignorance about how to achieve this display?
    I changed the 'Classes' page to have [eab_calendar date="03/01/2013"] and the following month displayed. That works, but needs to be modified each month.
    Can you please advise how to get this look ahead feature. It works fine in the accompanying widget :slight_smile:
    Thanks for your help.
    Gary

• PC
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hey Gary,

I also tested this and it only defaults to this month.

So with the date argument we can create different pages for the different month calendars (as a workaround) for a solution let me see if I can get Ve on this one to help us out again.

Cheers, PC

• Vladislav
    • Dead Eye Dev

Hello,

Just to quickly update, the latest plugin release (v1.6, just released) comes with some improvements to the shortcodes - the calendar shortcode can now have navigation links for changing to a different date. There are some more info about the new parameters on the "Shortcodes" plugin page in your admin area (also in the Help dropdown in the post editor interface, for quick reference), but here it is in the basic form:

[eab_calendar navigation="yes" footer="yes" title_format="F Y"]

This shortcode will show the calendar for the current month, with navigation links in both calendar header and footer areas. Also, the rendered calendar will have the title information for the dates in "F Y" format (which translates to something like "April 2013" for current month).

• ianvhilton
    • Flash Drive

I'd also like to jump on this thread, how do I use a short codes to display 12 calendars one for each month and have the shortcode go off of the current date and have the calendar go something like

[eab_calendar]
    [eab_calendar] current_date +1month
    [eab_calendar] current_date +2month
    [eab_calendar] current_date +3month
    [eab_calendar] current_date +4month and so on...

Is there a way to do this so that it just does a rolling update?

Cheers,

Ian

• Vladislav
    • Dead Eye Dev

Hi,

Actually, that's one of the things we're working on for the next plugin release. The calendar shortcode will come with the new "relative_date" attribute which will allow you to literally specify the offset from the set or current date in a strtotime-compatible way. In normal language, this means that you'll be able to say something like:

[eab_calendar relative_date="+1 month" ...]

and have the displayed calendar for a month in the future. It would also work for multiple months (e.g. "+3 months"), months in the past (e.g. "-1 month") and years too. I'm attaching a working Beta of the next release with this feature added in, if you're interested in taking it for a spin.

• be
    • WP Core Meltdown

@Vladislav
    Thanks for the beta ..

the relative is adding months (thankyou)
    1 - however they do not show a month name - ie we have 3 calendars in a row but no month name to each of them - ie January February etc.. (it is confusing for visitors looking for a quick visual check rather than making visitors click or look over each entry)
    What to add to the shortcode to show this?
    [eab_calendar relative_date="+3 months" ...]

Not sure if you got to the date issue yet -
    2 - Recurring event dates display as the last date
    ie: if the same event happens weekly for 12 months when the event is chosen it will show as the last recurring date ie 12 month ahead.
    This makes it very confusing for visitors who then think the event will happen in the future and is not happening now..

3 - Is there a way to display different categories in the calendar -
    ie cat 1 as red - cat 2 as blue - cat 3 as yellow.. etc

• Vladislav
    • Dead Eye Dev

Hi,

Thank you for the feedback! As for the questions, let me try break the answers to corresponding numbers:

1) Something along the lines of this should work:

[eab_calendar relative_date="+1 month" navigation="yes" title_format="F Y" long_date_format="M Y"]

2) The recurring events are instances, so each instance shows whatever the opening instance date is set to. Can we please make sure that you're actually opening the right instance?

3) Yes, with the "Colors" add-on. Activating this add-on will allow you to select background and foreground colors used for your events in the calendar.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.