Ok with all the issues I have had over the past 24 hours

Ok with all the issues I have had over the past 24 hours I am about to go back to single websites instead of Multi.

Because I run a few websites I thought it would be easier to have everything 'under the one roof' and install Multi-Site - however everything I have touched so far has gone to crap.

I have my domain name where WordPress is installed http://www.my-site.com, I today imported my posts etc from my sport site (on a new 'network' site).

Now for the past four hours I have tried to get http://www.sport-site.com to direct to my sport site on the 'network'.

I don't know how people say they have read the documentation as you come to this website to read documentation and all it has is the generic how to install plugins, there is no actual manuals on here for your plugins.

Can someone from support staff please attempt to help me get my domain working please so when people type it into their browser it takes them to my website.

Details are on my profile, and access has been granted.

I am trying to get sportinsider.net pointing to my sport site which is domain.com/sportinsider

• Tyler Postle

Hey Brendan,

Hope you're doing well today and thanks for your question!

More than happy to help out here :slight_smile:

You will want to use domain mapping for this, do you already have that installed? The usage guide is here: https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/domain-mapping/#usage

You are wanting people to navigate your site as sportinsider.net right? So they don't even see "domain.com/sportinsider" in the url when they are navigating the site? Instead they will see sportinsider.net.

That's what domain mapping does. Do you have a dedicated IP? The usage guide goes into more information on this, but if you have a dedicated IP then you can map it with the A record, if not then you will need to use the parked/add-on mapping method.

Let me know which parts you are stuck on here and we'll be more than happy to assist further!

Look forward to hearing back Brendan :slight_smile:

All the best,
    Tyler

• Brendon

Tyler,
    Thank you for getting in contact with me - sorry for my post just had nothing but issues since I attempted to move to MultiSite and its starting to drain me.

You are correct I want people to be able to enter http://www.sportinsider.net and be taken to my sport website,rather than my-domain.com/sportinsider.

I didn't even see the install instructions but have now gone through them and have a couple of issues.

First of all at the moment I do not have a Dedicated IP or Reseller Account - I wanted to set up my own personal sites first and learn the new 'multi-site' set up and then upgrade as I do love creating websites and want to help out local not-for-profit associations by creating them basic yet effective website.

So anyway here are my issues:
    At the moment if you go to brendon-meynell.net/sportinsider (the current way to show the site) it shows up with a directory your normally see when first starting a new site.

However if you go to brendon-meynell.net/sportinsider/wp-admin it will log you in and work.

Going through the installation file the issue is it says:

So, lets go to a sub site which has it own domain to map. In the sub site’s wp-admin, go to Tools > Domain Mapping.

When I log into the sport insider admin section and go to tools - Domain Mapping isn't there despite being 'Network Activated' through the main site. So really I can't go any further than that.

Hope you can assist.

Regards,

Brendon

• Brendon

Tyler,
    Sorry for all the posts - I jumped ahead from the section that I can't do (as it isn't showing up in my wp-admin section) and put sportinsider.net as an addon which the instructions say has to go to the main installation of the site - sportinsider.net now points to my main installation so hopefully if we can sort out why Domain Mapping isn't showing up in my tools we can do the final steps required to have this working and let my stress levels decrease :smiley:

Really do appreciate your assistance.

• Brendon

@Tyler Postle - and all other support staff,
    Please ignore this support request. While the issue was not sorted out (and may need to be re-opened) I realized my entire Cpanel, and FTP section of my site was a complete mess.

Seem all of my new websites are brand new, and now after reading manuals, e-books and others on the entire setup of WordPress and using Multi-sites for WordPress I have opted to completely delete everything on my server and start from scratch.

This gives me the opportunity to have a clean start as I attempt to start this new chapter in my life, and my online enterprises.

I do thank each and everyone of you who have assisted over the last 24-48 hours, your work and support hasn't gone un-noticed and it wasn't a waste of time it helped me realize where I have gone wrong for some of my set up and hopefully with working on this new venture with a 100% clean ftp/file manager it will allow your hardwork and support, along with mine to actually pay off and I will hopefully have my new venture up and working.

Thank you once again for the magnificent support.

Regards,

Brendon Meynell

• Michelle Shull

Hello Brandon!

What kind words, thank you so much for taking the time to share them, I'll make sure my colleagues see them.

True confessions: The first time, and, if we're to be honest, the second, third, and fourth time I built a multisite, I broke it to pieces and started from scratch. There is not a lick of shame in blowing it all up and starting again. I bet, if we polled other folks around here, we'd have an e-book's worth of great stories about late, great networks we've broken, killed, and rebuilt. You're in great company! You just earned your first WP merit badge. : )

Next, please let us know if you need a hand setting up your network! We're here 24/7!

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.