Old Paypal system for Pro Sites

Hello, I'm trying to setup PayPal Pro for use with Pro Sites. When I click on the link in Network settings for recurring payment PayPal will not allow me to add that feature. I contacted them and they said Direct Payment Recurring Payments is a legacy product of theirs. Anyone else run into this issue. Thanks, Chris

• Jack Kitterhing
    • Code Norris

Hi there Chris @crazybodyfitness

I hope you are well today.

This should work, could you confirm you have all your API details set up correctly and you have a PayPal pro subscription and a PCI compliant server/hosting environment? Have you tried with PayPal express?
    I'd be happy to take a look at this issue for you, if you could send me the following details:

- Mark to my attention
    - Link back to this thread
    - Include admin/network access
    - Include FTP
    - Include any relevant URLS for your site
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/contact/

Thank you for being a WPMU DEV member!

Kind Regards
    Jack.

• Christopher
    • The Bug Hunter

I actually just ran a test and the initial payment went through but not the recurring payments. I believe PayPal has a newer system for recurring payment which does not work with Pro Sites. PayPal told me they can close my account and setup a new one on their old DPRP system, and see if that works.

Please see the screenshot of what I received after payment.

Thanks

Chris

• Jack Kitterhing
    • Code Norris

Hi there Chris (@crazybodyfitness)

Thank you for the additional information, I didn't think PayPal had changed this and that the recurring payments module should be able to be added in your PayPal payments pro account. https://www.paypal.com/webapps/mpp/paypal-payments-pro

However I'm going to flag the lead developer on this for some clarification on this matter.

Thank you for being a WPMU DEV member.

Kind Regards
    Jack.

• Christopher
    • The Bug Hunter

PayPal contacted me and said that DPRP has been enabled. Unfortunately, I ran another test and still received the same notification as before.

I am receiving the initial payment, but it seems like the recurring monthly charges may not process.

Chris

• Christopher
    • The Bug Hunter

Here is the latest response from PayPal:

"If the DPRP shows disabled, that means that your integration and your product are not congruent. DPRP is the Recurring Payment for the Legacy Payments PRO
    feature. You'd have to integrate the Payflow PRO recurring billing for
    this account."

Any ideas?......

Thanks

• Aaron
    • CTO

It sounds like you have a Payflow PRO account, not Website Payments Pro as the plugin requires. They are completely different.

I contacted our account manager, and she confirmed that Website Payments Pro and Website Payments Pro Recurring billing addon are active and not retired.

• Christopher
    • The Bug Hunter

After feeling like a ping pong ball, getting bounced around all day from one PayPay department to the other multiple times, then put on hold, and disconnected, I think I finally got in touch with someone who is familiar with my situation. They still offer the old product, but It is a manual process, and I have to setup a completely new PayPal account and close out the original one.

Thanks for everyones help on this. I am hoping to get this fixed within the next day or two.

Chris

• Gabe
    • The Bug Hunter

@Aaron @crazybodyfitness

Since the Stripe Gateway is down I recently signed up for PayPal and ran into this same issue. After getting bounced around to different departments for an hour I came to the same conclusion. It seems that PayPal now defaults to a newer version and the old one that ProSites uses has to be manually activated. It might be worth adding this to the setup notes.

I'm still waiting to get this resolved through PayPal, but it might be worth looking into if other users are running into this as well. It's crazy how much simpler and more intuitive Stripe is, but I guess we're stuck with PayPal until the Stripe gateway is fixed.

So as @Aaron mentioned it seems they are still active, but since they're legacy they have to be manually activated on new accounts which is a bit of a process (I'm still working on it).

• Gabe
    • The Bug Hunter

@Aaron
    @crazybodyfitness

Hey guys. I got a bit more information about this issue. I'll post it below so anyone else who encounters this in the future knows what to ask for:

From the first conversation:

You are not setup with Website Payments Pro 3.0. DPRP is only available for a Website Payments Pro 3.0 account for an additional $30.00 monthly.

If you are receiving the message of DPRP unavailable then your shopping cart is not compatible with the version of PayPal Payments Pro that you have.

Your options are to use a different shopping cart or close this account and have one of our Telesales Reps setup a Website Payments Pro 3.0 account for you.

From the second conversation after I sought clarification:

Currently you are setup with the newest version of our Pro Products which is PayPal Payments Pro; Payflow addition. We stopped setting accounts up with Website Payments Pro 3.0 a year ago, which is why when you applied you received the newest version. That was the reason that our Sales team needs to setup the new account for you as we are still allowing our sales reps to setup the older version called Website Payments Pro 3.0.

What you can do, once the other account is setup by Sales, you can have them shut off the billing for the PayPal Payments Pro Payflow addition account. That will ensure that you are not paying for two services, when you are only using one.

This is interesting, but other questions are:
    1) How much longer will the sales team be able to setup the old version (Website Payments Pro 3.0) that Pro Sites is built on? When they stop setting it up, it'll essentially be broken for new users.

2) How much longer will PayPal support the old version that Pro Sites (and Edublogs?) relies on?

Does Incsub intend to switch over to Stripe (hopefully) or is there another plan? Whatever you guys decide, I'll likely do the same.

• Aaron
    • CTO

Thanks for all this info. Wouldn't have known it without you. I'll see if I can summarize it in the gateway settings for new users.

1) How much longer will the sales team be able to setup the old version (Website Payments Pro 3.0) that Pro Sites is built on? When they stop setting it up, it'll essentially be broken for new users.

Probably a long time.

2) How much longer will PayPal support the old version that Pro Sites (and Edublogs?) relies on?

I don't know, We use it for DEV and edublogs to process a whole lot of money. I'm sure they'll support it for a very long time.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.