once I create a positive rule for a shortcode, I can't create a negative rule for a different s

This also occurred with menu items! Once I dragged menu (or shortcode) to positive rules, it was no longer available on the right hand side (under Main rules) to drag to the negative rules! This must be a bug right? Cause this is exactly what the tutorial has you do (set up positive and negative menu items)

• DavidM
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

Hi SJoAnneF,

That's correct, you can only use a particular rule in either the positive or negative rule area within any particular Access Level. Because of the way it all works though, pretty much any type of configuration should still be possible, it just may take some consideration to get it working properly.

Is there a specific reason you'd like to have a rule be used in both positive and negative areas within a single Access Level though?

-David

• SJoAnneF
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

It's not that I can't have a specific rule in both positive and negative. I can't have a specific CLASS of rules!

Ok - I reread https://premium.wpmudev.org/blog/drip-feed-your-content-with-the-wpmu-dev-membership-plugin/
    and now I see that they create positive rules with pages and negative rules with menus. But that seems awfully inconvenient! Esp wrt shortcodes! I'd really like to have a [visitor-content] shortcode and a [member-content] shortcode and give the visitor a positive rule for the visitor-content and a negative rule for the member-content, and vise versa. It seems like limiting this to just one is a completely artificial constraint that forces the user to jump through a lot of hoops.

Any chance of removing that restriction?

• SJoAnneF
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

I also just confirmed that if I use pages for positive rules and menus for negative rules (as shown in the drip content tutorial), people can still get to the pages that the negative menu items reference, if they know the url. So if your lessons are called lesson1, lesson2, lesson3. They could guess the url. Or if someone sent a link to a page that is protected only by virtue of the menu, everyone could see it!

This seems bad :slight_smile:

• Mason
    • DEV MAN’s Sidekick

Hiya,

Just checking if it was eventually resolved in another thread? Or by yourself separately to us? Or by us over email with you? Or using our live support?

If so, no need to reply, that's great news.

If not, could you let us know by re-opening this topic, and we'll get onto it and helping you out asap!
    Otherwise, happy days, glad you got it sorted :slight_smile:

Thanks!

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.