One Order, Multiple Shipping Origins

Curious if Marketpress has a solution to this issue:

On our store, we want to feature items from a variety of community members. While setting up individual stores for each seller IS an option, frankly we would rather have it in one location where the odds of "impulse buys" are greater, etc.

The issue we are running into is this:

In our store, let's just say we are selling items from Seller 1, Seller 2 and Seller 3.

If a customer puts 3 items from Seller 1 in their cart, then calculating shipping is a relatively simple affair.

However, if a customer intends to buy 1 item from EACH seller, we are now faced with a situation where this particular order has 3 different shipping origin locations.

So how do we set up Marketpress and individual products accordingly, to make sure that in that situation the sellers are not faced with a issue where the shipping charge paid by the customer is not sufficient to cover the actual COST of each Seller shipping their portion of the order to the customer individually?

• aecnu

Greetings MyMiddleEarth,

This is a great question of course and as always your questions are always high caliber and thank you for that :slight_smile:

It is my opinion that each seller has indeed set up their own shipping terms i.e. usps, flat rate etc. and they are all totaled together to represent each vendors shipping fee combined and should be reflected on the vendors order while the total is reflected on the customers order.

Are you not finding this to be the case?

Please advise.

Cheers, Joe

• MyMiddleEarth

Hi Joe:

Thanks for getting back to me!

When you mention that each seller has their own shipping terms, am I correct in assuming that you mean if each seller has a separate Marketpress Store on the same network?

It was very difficult for me to properly explain the issue, because it's fairly complex, but what I am getting at is that I would ideally like to have these separate "Sellers" on ONE store installation ( store.mymiddleearth.com )

This would mean our customers would not have to travel to 2 or more "seller stores" to find all the items they want, nor would they have to go through the checkout process multiple times, etc.

I know that Marketpress has that "Global Market" thing, which may perhaps be a solution? But *then* the problem we run into is that we do not want ALL bloggers on our network to have access to a store, only specific "VIP" members.

*Whew* Hope that makes sense! Hah.

• MyMiddleEarth

Actually, I am going to add on to this thread prior to getting a response to my last inquiry because of some testing I just finished:

I attempted to enable the "Global Checkout" option and found what could potentially be a fatal flaw in the setup.

We currently have 2 "Stores" set up.

One is using US Dollars as the checkout currency.

The other using Cubepoints.

When Global checkout is enabled, and I go to the global /marketplace/ - I have the ability to add items from both of these stores into one Global Cart.

Unfortunately, if I add an item from the $ Store that costs 5 dollars, and then add an item from the Cubepoints store that costs 1000 points, when I go to checkout, the total I am "charged" is 1005 POINTS and $0

Uh oh!

Am I doing something incorrectly? Or is this, as I fear, a bit of a showstopper?

• aecnu

Greetings MyMiddleEarth,

It appears that due to the cube points integration and the currency integration that Global Carts is indeed not the answer for you.

Originally this would have been much better set up as each person with their own store because each store could then set their own shipping plus currency, and in the end may still be the answer.

As you had mentioned, you wanted to have this as a VIP function only. This could indeed be accomplished by having a VIP role managed by possibly Advanced Access Manager plugin or perhaps User Role Editor plugin.

There is no know way for each "vendor" to have their own shipping options in a single store setting. Each "vendor" would have to be connected to a custom shipping page and options and this would take a vast amount of custom programming to perform. This may require a complete re-write of the entire shipping module too.

It is therefore my opinion your best option is to still make it multi store capable and control access to the store using roles possibly having access controlled by one of the plugins mentioned above. Other then that, you may have to use flat rate instead.

TIP: Please do not bump your own tickets. This is due to the fact the way our ticket system works it sees every reply to a ticket as a response and there fore moves the tickets priority down and aging it newer which in effect can delay a response by up to a week.

I was fortunately in the back end of the ticket system and noticed your ticket which caught my eye :slight_smile:

Please advise as to what route you intend to take.

Cheers, Joe

• MyMiddleEarth

Hi Joe,

Thanks for the response. I apologize for the bump. Won't do it again, it was just that this is a very critical issue for us, and I was being impatient :wink:

Moving on...

It's very unfortunate indeed that the Cubepoints integration and Global Cart cannot coexist, as our users have really enjoyed the "earn points" features in recent weeks...

But as you said, it seems they cannot both work together.

I am struggling to see what you are suggesting with the role editor and access manager plugins (both which we already use). How would they help me in this situation?

The only solution I can think of that would allow me to Continue using the Cubepoints "Store" on my network as well as create other "real money" stores for my VIP members would be to somehow tell the Global Cart/Products list to NOT SHOW OR ALLOW INTO THE CART any items from the Cubepoints store.

This would be the only way to continue using the Cubepoints store AND the Global Store, while making sure they do not "mix together" in the shopping cart and totally ruin the checkout process for those users.

Thoughts on if this is do-able?

If not, what are my other solutions? I really do not want to have to ditch the Points store, but equally as important is the ability for me to ship 'real money' items from multiple locations.

Yikes... :slight_frown:

• aecnu

Greetings MyMiddleEarth,

No problem my friend, just do not want you waiting more then a week at anytime!

TIP: Place a new ticket with the URL to the original ticket for emergency or situations like this one and express urgency :slight_smile:

The idea is to have VIP members able to produce their own sub site with Market Press and using one of the role managers to allow just them to do so :slight_smile:

Then they could indeed create their own store and have their own gateways and shipping methods.

You could still use the Global shortcode to show all items on a single page to including the cube points one if it is one the same network, but they will still need to check out individually with each vendor is the con to this including cube points store.

Have I helped on this clarification?

Please advise.

Cheers, Joe

• MyMiddleEarth

Hi Joe,

So would it be possible using the Global Shortcodes (in our "Main Store") to include ALL products listed by our specific VIP members while NOT showing our Cubepoints items (since the carts cannot be combined properly)?

Also, in this same vein, if someone were to add a Cubepoints item to their Cart in that store, but not complete the checkout process... And later on go to our "Global Store" and add some 'real money' items to their cart. Would that "Global Cart" still contain the old Cubepoints item inside it? Obviously, this would lead to the same issue.

I am not so much concerned with how to enable certain VIP members to create their own stores- WE are going to be doing it for them (the super admins will handle all the store creation). My largest concern is the ability for each of those 'sub domain stores' to be able to set their own shipping, and for the Cubepoints store to not screw the whole thing up.

• aecnu

Greetings MyMiddleEarth,

Thank you for your feedback and input.

The only way for me to give you a qualified answer to this is by actually trying it out and see what the results are.

Building a replica of your setup and then testing to see the results.

I think the best approach here at this point is to make a full backup of your site and database and then immediately go after this project to see what happens.

Hopefully there will be no interference from the cube points portion, but we will not really know until we get there.

However, I do recommend waiting until the Market Press lead developer gets back from vacation the 10th of July, to help us work through any anomalies we encounter trying to implement this.

In addition, though I thought it would have come out before he went on vacation but did not, I want to give you an insider heads up that shortly after his return there will be a super large update to Market Press coming out and it is in my opinion in our best interest to wait to see the fall out from the upcoming update before trying to further implement this project.

Of course the choice is yours but I am sure you can see my concerns here.

Cheers, Joe

• MyMiddleEarth

Hi PC:

To my knowledge, there is no "fix" for allowing us to properly configure shipping based on variables such as where specific products are being sent from (the primary concern)

I suppose this topic can be marked "Closed", unless there CAN be a solution found.

The problem has not been 'solved' per-se, but if we realize there IS no solution, then may as well close it :slight_frown:

• aecnu

Greetings MyMiddleEarth,

Thank you for your additional feedback, you know it is greatly appreciated.

Before giving up the ghost on this issue, I will see about getting the lead developer in here for his final conclusion that there is indeed no known solution to this issue of multiple shipping points of origin.

Thank you for your patience and i will try to get him and his invaluable insight and advice in here asap though indeed there may be no solution to this.

Cheers, Joe

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.