one post, two comment streams/sections?

Hi all,

I have a need for two comment sections per post. Basically, I need contributors to post to one section exclusivity and a second for the general public. If nothing else, i'd need some sort of way to organize comments into to categories visually on the post.

Anyone know of a plugin out there before I start trying my own? any other good ideas?

Thanks!

• PC

Hello Sean,

I did a quick search but could not find a plugin which can be used to easily do that. It might require custom coding to help achieve that.

I am going to wait on this thread so that we can have a few more comments from the fellow members and see how we go from there.

I would however keep on looking for something which can help us provide some suggestions on this one.

Have a blessed day.

Cheers
    PC

• Mark

Hi Sean,

A few clarification questions..

Public Comment Box
    Do you want it so that only the public can write comments, not registered users? Or will registered users be able to both read and write comments here if they wish?

Private Comment Box
    Do you want it so that only registered users can write and read comments? Or can the public read the comments too?

I'm wondering if Membership couldn't help you achieve that if you can find a way to add an additional comment in your template or even in the post. (For example, using a plug-in which could create a comment box in the post, and then hiding that area with shortcodes.)

Another approach might be to add custom fields to your comment area which only registered users can use and view. Don't know if that functionality exists.

Finally, you mentioned a separate objective altogether:

Comment categorization
    What's the user experience look like? When a person leaves a comment, is he or she instructed to select a category (or insert tags)? And then what - site visitors can select a category (or tag) on the page and view only those comments while still remaining on the page?

Hope we can find something for you..

Best regards,

Mark

• Sean Johnson

Mark and PC, Thanks for the responses.

Do you want it so that only the public can write comments, not registered users? Or will registered users be able to both read and write comments here if they wish?
    Do you want it so that only registered users can write and read comments? Or can the public read the comments too?

Basically, anyone should be able to leave a comment - in my specific application I would label this as the opinion section. Registration will not be open, only approved writers will be given a contributor role in WP. These contributors will have special access to publish to an additional comments section called facts, these will be published for all to see - and by internal policy must contain a source validating their fact.

What's the user experience look like? When a person leaves a comment, is he or she instructed to select a category (or insert tags)? And then what - site visitors can select a category (or tag) on the page and view only those comments while still remaining on the page?

If two separate commenting systems are not practical, I was thinking there may be an easier way to denote the difference between a registered contributor's comment and an unregistered users comment. That way I could separate them visually in my theme...

I hope that brings some clarity so you can better help me. Once again, thank you very much!

• Mark

Hmm.. it sounds like your underlying objective is to distinguish the two groups so that one group is clearly the vetted/validated/approved group who can be counted on to give the expert factual advice or whatever.

In that case, the easy-cheesy way is what you said: highlighting or labeling the registered users in the comments section. That can be done in a number of ways, none of which unfortunately I can think of on the top of my head. You may want to start a separate thread with that objective in the title and see what kind of nibbles you get.

One advantage to having them in the same box is that you get to see the interaction and the "fact-givers" correcting the "opinion-givers" (or vice-versa!).

Mark

• aecnu

Greetings Sean Johnson,

It appears this particular topic is now resolved/closed, if you need any further assistance please let us know.

If it wasn't resolved, or you have any more questions related to this thread, please feel free to post them below including any new symptoms or errors and tick the 'Mark as Not Resolved (re-open)' box below the post area (or else we'll miss it!)

Thank you for being a WPMU Dev member!

Cheers, Joe :slight_smile:

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.