One site in multisite is slow, how to troubleshoot one site ?

I have one sub site where the pages load really slow and when you login as that user it takes a really loooong time for the first page to come up. Other sites load as usual & I don't let the access the plugins.

I often use pingdom to test load times and it shows how long each component is taking to load but the site times out when using that tool. Tried the google page insights tool and it timed out as well.

Its on a dedicated server which is good but its godaddy so thats bad :slight_smile: But the server is not under a heavy load at the moment.

I am getting ready to update the site so have a clone of the entire site setup and ran smush it pro which didn't speed things up at all so its not images. Switched to another theme as well and it still loads the same.

http://evantage360.com/jleech

How can I troubleshoot to see why only one site loads slow, are there reporting tools I can use?

thanks!!

• Michael Bissett

Hey @George, Michael here! :slight_smile:

Is anything coming up in your server's error logs & access logs about this subsite? Any database errors coming up for the subsite? I'd want to check those first.

Next up, is there anything particularly different about this subsite in terms of configuration, compared to the sites on your network that do work?

Have you tried disabling all of the plugins via FTP, and switching the theme for this subsite to Twenty Fifteen, and seeing if that helps?

These are more so basic checks, but they're a good place to start, in terms of narrowing down the cause of this odd behavior.

Please advise,
    Michael

• George

Hey Michael, so nothing in the logs, nothing different (that I can see) about this site. It uses the same theme, plugins & pages and the user just adds images. Checked the db, at least all the tables for that site. Switched themes but still the same slow speed.

Seems like its getting slower LOL.

I did clone the site a day or so ago so on the clone I setup cloudfare, ran wp-sweep to cleanup the db which mostly removed page revisions, ran smush and now its working and much faster on the clone site. Doesn't seem like that would solve the issue but it did on the clone?

Guess I will try on my live site now.

• George

i tried making the same updates on my live site but it didn't work.
    evantage360.com/jleech

the site I cloned seems to load, it was slow just like my orig site?
    evantageaz.com/jleech

Although when I cloned the site I didn't update the url to the new domain for every site, just updated the sites I am working on.

I don't want to delete plugins one by one so used the p3 plugin profiler and its showing that ulitmate facebook is taking about 536 sec to load? I thought I deleted that plugin but its still showing although in active, guess I will try deleting the folder.

• Michael Bissett

Hey @George, thanks for your patience here! :slight_smile:

I did clone the site a day or so ago so on the clone I setup cloudfare, ran wp-sweep to cleanup the db which mostly removed page revisions, ran smush and now its working and much faster on the clone site. Doesn't seem like that would solve the issue but it did on the clone?

If there were a lot of page revisions for that site, that can be a detriment to performance, as can images with large file sizes. However, for this:

I don't want to delete plugins one by one so used the p3 plugin profiler and its showing that ulitmate facebook is taking about 536 sec to load? I thought I deleted that plugin but its still showing although in active, guess I will try deleting the folder.

===================

After deleting ultimate facebook I still have a ultimate facebook plugin that is taking 536 sec to load.

This is something that I'll want a deeper look at, could you please send in the following via our secure contact form:

- Mark to my attention, the subject line should contain only: ATTN: Michael Bissett
    - Do not include anything else in the subject line, doing so may delay our response due to how email filtering works.
    - Link back to this thread
    - Include WordPress network admin access details (login address, username & password)
    - Include FTP log-in details (hostname, username & password)
    - Include cPanel access details (login address, username & password) - in case I need to look at the database for this subsite
    - Include any relevant URLs for your site

IMPORTANT: Please make sure you select "I have a different question" for your topic, so it doesn't go back to the forums - this and the subject line ensure that it gets assigned to me.

https://premium.wpmudev.org/contact/

Thanks a bunch! :slight_smile:

Kind Regards,
    Michael

• George

@mike, no need to look into this, I have it solved.
    I had duplicated the site, removed some plugins and used a plugin to clean the DB which I had never done before. Something worked, don't know what but the site was good. Tried the same at orig site with no luck, orig site still slow.

Then I copied all tables from the dupe site to orig site & everything is fine.
    Sorry if you started on this, I had to keep working on it as the site was down for a few days and I was getting strongly worded emails from the client :slight_smile:

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.