Ongoing issues with Events+

After a lot of blood sweat and tears, eventually I've managed to resolve (almost) an ongoing issue I was having that even support wasn't able to resolve or even gave me incorrect information (which resulted me in trying other means and purchasing ACF pro for $30 which i ultimately didn't need), I have now almost set up recurring events, however I believe there may be something still not quite right with the way Events+ works with Recurring Events.

After working out that I could change the individual dates of each event by clicking "edit instances" they still didn't contain my Advanced Custom Fields. I resolved that by doing a search on your forum and getting a functions code.

Now everything almost works as expected, however the only thing I dint understand is all of the recurring events don't publish? If i click "edit instances" and go into each instance, i can see that the Advanced Custom Fields have transferred over, which is great, but i still need to manually publish each event!? Is there a way of making this happen automatically?

Kind regards

Matt

• Predrag Dubajic

Hi Matt,

Sorry to hear you had issues with setup up Events+ the way you wanted :slight_frown:

I checked your installation and tested one of the instances that were not edited individually and I could access it normally when I was logged out (I've disabled maintenance mode for a minute to test this).

Can you elaborate this issue a bit more because it looks to me that recurring instances are accessible and they don't need any additional publishing.

Best regards,
    Predrag

• Matthew Hartnet

Hi Predrag.

We post the events using Content Views Pro Plugin, this allows us to list the events like this:

and

Events+ recurring events only shows the first event and no additional events. The individual views are listed by using the custom field incsub_event_start and incsub_event_end - recurring doesn't use this field, instead it uses eab_event_recurring_start (or something)

I have been trying for about 2 weeks to list the recurring events but without any success, however i worked out if I edit instances, it allows me to publish each recurring event individually... which then creates the custom field incsub_event_start and allows me to list the events correctly.( This has however uncovered an unexpected problem with the plugin widget Calendar Upcoming because then it lists both events underneath when the date is selected within the calendar.)

Although this above solution is a temporary work around, how can we make it so that each event is published automatically by itself? by using a snipped of code for the functions template I've managed to get the custom fields to go into the instances, but how would I get them to publish automatically?

I find the whole process a bit long winded to be honest, and when are expecting 300+ events to be uploaded per week, this could become very lengthy, especially for the recurring events.

I hope this all makes sense?

Kind regards

Matt

• Predrag Dubajic

Hi Matt,

Thanks for the additional info, I tested this on my installation and recurring instances are indeed not shown in Custom Views list unless you go to the instance and publish it first.

I will need to ping our developers about this one so they can see how could this be done, I see that in database inside wp_posts table there's "recurrent" value set in post_status row for the recurring event instances, and changing that to "publish" does the trick.
    So perhaps they can find a DB query that could take care of this.

Best regards,
    Predrag

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello Matthew!

After reading this thread and checking again how recurring events work, I believe I found much simpler and "out of the box" solution for this. It will not require manually publishing recurring events, nor adding any additional code to the site or making any changes on code/database level.

1. Go to "Content Views -> All views" page in your site's back-end.
    2. Edit the view that you're using to show these recurring events
    3. Make sure that "Filter Settings" tab is selected there and scroll it down to "Advance" section
    4. Check the "Status" checkbox in that section
    5. A "Filter by Status" box will appear with "Published" value only
    6. In that box click on the field and from the list select "Recurrent"; at this point you should gave two values there "Published" and "Recurrent"
    7. Save

That's it. According to my tests from now on the Content Views should fetch all the instances of recurring events. You might need to clear site/browser caches but it should work "out of the box" for all the recurring events added in future as well.

Give it a try, please, and let me know if that works for you.

Best regards,
    Adam

• Matthew Hartnet

ah wow, how easy was was that!? Really appreciate you showing me that. Another lesson learned. Every day is a school day!

Appreciate you solving that for me - however it seems to have thrown up another issue which I've seen in another thread as a problem for someone else too, the pages only seem to list tops 10 events even with pagination enabled, when there are 10 events, no 'more' button for the pagination.

Any ideas?

Kind regards

Matt

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello Matt!

I'm glad I could help :slight_smile:

As for the "10 events" issue. I didn't notice that initially but you're right. Fortunately, that should be equally easy to solve.

Go to "Content Views -> All views" and edit your view again. In the "Filter Settings" tab you'll see a "Limit" field which is most likely (that seems to be a default value) set to "10". This is what's causing the issue as it's not "10 per page" limit but an overall limit, meaning that simply no more than 10 posts are fetched.

Remove the value so the field would stay empty (meaning "no limit") and save settings. Then go to to "Display Settings" tab and enable "Pagination" there and also configure how the pagination should work right below the "Pagination" check-box. Once you save these settings, it should be fine and should load all the events, paginated according to how you configured pagination.

Bestr regards,
    Adam

• Matthew Hartnet

excellent! Wow, these are all things I've not done.. makes me look bad :disappointed:

And probably something else thats my mis configuration, events not expiring immediately after they finish. I have a recurring event that finishes on a wednesday, but its showing at todays event and tomorrows event, this is because it hasn't expired yet and still set to 'open'.

Any idea there?

Kind regards

Matt

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello Matt,

Since there's a support access enabled for your site, I took a liberty of checking it.

I noticed that in both content views (those that you're using for "What's on Today" and "What's on Tomorrow" pages) you set a filter option to find events to show.

In both cases you're filtering events by "insub_event_start" custom field, which sounds just right. However, also in both cases you are using "Now & Past" setting for "Operator to compare". If I correctly understand Content Views docs, this is a way to show all the events that take place "today" and took place in the past.

For "Today" events, the "Operator to compare" should be "Today", I think. I'm not sure, however, about "Tomorrow" events. They suggest using "Now and Future" which would make sense but on the other hand it would still be showing events valid for the day when somebody visits the page and also events for days after "tomorrow". The only option that I found that would show only "really tomorrow's events" would be to set a specific date but that's not a solution as it wouldn't make sense to edit the content view everyday manually to change that.

It would be best if it was possible to either add an additional "operator to compare" option setting ("Tomorrow") or dynamically send "current date + 1 day" date to the content view (e.g. via some shortcode parameter or some additional code) but I must say I didn't find a way to do it. I think you might want to get in touch with Content Views developers and ask them if they could help you with this.

Best regards,
    Adam

• Matthew Hartnet

Thanks for your reply.

I have had that what you said in the past regarding both Today and Tomorrow, however this would only show events with a start day as "Today" and not ones that run for more than 1 day. This is why the "incsub_event_status" set to open is important. As soon as the event expires and that field changes, it won't show the event any longer. My understanding is that is what should be happening? So an idea situation would be for the recurring events individually expire once they have done so.

In terms of the "today" i may have been able to work out another option where "incsub_event_start" = Now and Past, AND "incsub_event_end" = Now and Future

pretty sure that work, but for the tomorrow I'm not sure I can do it that way.

Kind regards

Matt

So

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.