Only 1 Subsite can be connected to Master

During my trial I was able to connect 2 subsites to my 1 master site on my dev server and user sync (not with a 33k userbase it wound up failing but it did function). I tried doing this on the live server and it wouldn't work, it would connect 1 subsite and tell me Sync Error and the other site it would say Subsite successfully connected to Master site and Synchronization completed however that was false.

When reviewing the connected sites on the Master Site it would only ever show the 1 subsite with the Sync Error. So I canceled my trial and was offered a one time 30 days for $1, I figured I'd spend this time to try and figure this out.

Since then I have not been able to replicate having 2 subsites on the 1 master even on my dev server where it was previously working. I'm also noticing some odd caching / persistence (even though there is no caching functionality on my dev server). Manually editing the wp_option with a serialized array to support the second subsite doesn't work, the row is properly updated but then immediately returns to its previous value even though unserializing my info properly deconstructs the array so the formatting is good.

Other oddities include uninstalling all options, and then re-activating for a master site, the password won't change, this only seems to change after some time has been passed. I even edited the User Sync plugin files to change the wp_option to wpmu_user_sync_option to force it with a new password.

Ironically, on the master site I have FORCE_SSL_ADMIN but my subsites I did not when it did work originally. After searching through some issues posted here I have set all sites to this option and it hasn't resolved the issue.

And finally, I cannot get any subsite to connect if DEBUG mode is enabled, it just fails repeatedly with the connection error even though the connection will work (for one site) with debug mode disabled.

This plugin I feel could be a huge boon to us optimizing our site network by branching features into subsites but it seems very finicky with many of the posts here unresolved.

• Jude

Hey Gary Smith

Hope all is well with you and welcome to the community !

I was doing a bit of reading up on this too and looks like what you want to do is inherently possible with the plugin and has been done before.

I'd like to take a closer look at your site and try a couple of sync tests. Could you enable support access and I can take a look for you ?

https://premium.wpmudev.org/manuals/wpmu-dev-dashboard-enabling-staff-login/

Jude

• Gary Smith

As of right now I am not sure where the solution is. I have managed to get 2 sites connected again on dev server, but it was just an act of randomly trying to activate one or the other and any combination of disconnect / uninstall / reconnect.

I cannot replicate the same success on the live server I guess I would need to continue to tinker in the same random way, but it doesn't seem viable as if we wanted to add new subsites in the future to expand the sync concept we may find the same merry-go-round procedure.

Also the client has an absolute ass-load of plugins which is already hard enough to debug with all the custom functionality and inter-system integrations. Adding another plugin to the mix that doesn't seem consistent right out of the gate would likely be a huge pain in the ass in the future.

For sync tests, on the dev server its not a big deal though as I mentioned with random trial and luck I've gotten it reconnected to 2 subsites, but on the live server it would likely cripple the site and require a server restart trying to sync 33k users with a subsite and I can't afford to have it down at a time I can't be prepared to be ready so I'd need to figure out how best to approach that.

• Luís

Hi Gary Smith ,

Hope you're doing well today!

Firstly, sorry for the late reply and all the problems it may have caused.

I tested this on my install and I was able to connect and sync two subsites to a master site too.

We will need to investigate this further, so, can you send us the FTP details of your sites, so we can make some debug and try find the issues? If yes, please send it privately through our contact form:

https://premium.wpmudev.org/contact/

Select "I have a different question" for your topic - this and the subject line ensure that it gets assigned to me.

Send in:

Subject: "Attn: Luis Lopes"

- Master Site
    - WordPress admin username
    - WordPress admin password
    - Login url
    - FTP credentials (host/username/password)
    - Subsite 1
    - Login url
    - Subsite 2
    - Login url
    - Link back to this thread for reference
    - Any other relevant urls/information

Cheers, Luís

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.