Only allowing 1 blog per user and Edu Blog home page question

I read a post on here that gave me a code to enter into the themes function.php file to limit users to only 1 blog but it doesn't specify where to put it in the file..does it matter.

Second, I am using Edu Clean and on the non logged in users home page I only want a logo, slide show and member login on there how can I customize that to happen?

• Vaughan
    • Support/SLS MockingJay

Hi @melissa,

Place it anywhere inside the <?php & the closing ?>

Regarding edu-clean,

You would need to edit the home-index.php template.

For example.

Change the following in home-index.php

<?php locate_template( array( 'lib/templates/wp-template/front-left.php'), true ); ?>
    <?php locate_template( array( 'lib/templates/wp-template/front-right.php'), true ); ?>

replace with:

<?php
     if(is_user_logged_in()) {
    locate_template( array( 'lib/templates/wp-template/front-left.php'), true );
    }
    locate_template( array( 'lib/templates/wp-template/front-right.php'), true );
    ?>

that will remove the left sidebar content on the homepage.

The members login is actually in the sidebar, so this could be a bit trickier if you don't want other widgets in the sidebar, You could possibly use a custom sidebar plugin to hide the widgets for non logged in users such as

https://wordpress.org/plugins/custom-sidebars/

or http://www.woothemes.com/woosidebars/

Hope this helps

• Melissa
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

I dont want the latest news or the navigation bar to appear for non-logged in users either.
    I want 3 things present for non-logged in users Logo, A Layer Slide Show and member login.
    Would I also have to add the slide show via the php file?
    Can the non-logged in user home-page be removed period and just a normal page be in its place?
    What I was thinking is using the Privacy plugin because the site needs to be for users ONLY but we want those who stumble across the site to see something and we want to market to them and draw them to our main site on the network.

• Vaughan
    • Support/SLS MockingJay

You can set the default home page in Dashboard > settings > reading

At the top, select a static page as home, then a page for your blogs.

But if you want a different home page for logged in users as opposed to visitors you will need to customize the theme.

This would be best done by creating a child theme. But removing the nav menu & the rest would require more edits than I posted above. I can try & sort this for you tomorrow, it will require me to create a child theme for it & do some testing.

Hope this helps

• Melissa

Yeah I like the fact 2 different pages show for logged in vs non-logged in. I just want a custom page for the non-logged in not the one that is currently available. They should make thos pages have a lot more customizing options.

• Melissa

My other thought was just to make the whole thing Private change the reading settings to view a particular page for the home page. Thinking I could create a splash page or landing page with the slide show on it and a button for members to login. hmmm

• Vaughan
    • Support/SLS MockingJay

hi @melissa,

you could use a plugin such as peters login redirect to redirect your users to a different page when they login, then create a static page for the front-page of the site for logged out users. The issue would be keeping the slider though. https://wordpress.org/plugins/peters-login-redirect/

Do you still want me to try & modify the theme instead, just to remove the sidebars and navigation & add a login/registration box?

Thanks

• Melissa

Yes I think modifying the theme might work best. Is there a plugin to restrict access to the rest of the pages to only logged in users. Besides the Membership plugin? Because I don't want people to get a url and then be able to access either. I hope the heck this is making sense lol.

• Vaughan
    • Support/SLS MockingJay

Hi @melissa,

Here's what I have so far.

The theme doesn't actually have a slider, so if you tell me which slider you are wanting to use, I'll take a look.

Just install the zip, the same as any other theme, and activate it (make sure the parent edu-clean is present too)

Hopefully this is what you need. I left the top section on with the Sign UP, that can be changed in the theme options I believe.

Logged in users will see the homepage exactly as original as though these changes hadn't been made.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.