Only see settings link in admin

I installed the plugin. I was trying to figure it out and suddenly it said Cheatin’ uh?. Then I refreshed the page and the only link that shows is the Settings.

• aecnu

Greetings Hatchman,

Sorry to see that you are having an issue with your WordPress installation and the Q&A plugin.

Are you running caching on the WordPress installation in question by any chance?

Are you using two completely different browsers for developing and testing? i.e. Firefox for developing and Chrome for testing and dumping the caching and cookies of the test browser before each test?

Did you by any chance clear your browser cache and then log back in to see if the menu restored?

Please advise.

Cheers, Joe

• Hatchman

Ok,

No, No, No...

I changed the settings page and everything stopped working. I deleted the install and the settings were as I installed them so I assume they do not delete when you deactivate and delete. In the admin menu the only link showing is Settings. I can probably figure out how to remove the previous install info and start fresh but I do not have the confidence that the problem will not appear again.

I am actually on a different computer and this is the first time I have logged in. Same result. The reason I went with WPMU is because I did not want to fix WordPress plugins but this has not been the case. I have found it difficult thus far.

• Hatchman

I never received a reply to my support request but did get a solution to my problem which seems to be a bug/design flaw with the Q&A system. I have to confess I did get help from live support but after waiting 24 hours.

Here is what happens. The problem starts when you go to the Settings page. I had a fresh install but I could not figure out where the Q&A pages were created for the user. So I go to the Settings page and modify a few settings. For some reason the page has the user as administrator and no privileges. You click save and all your access is lost. So you have to go back to the settings page and restore the privileges.

Idea: Fix bug where Administrator privileges are unchecked or simply give the administrator access and allow assignment of rights to users below administrator level.

• Hatchman

Hi @aecnu

I agree that the helpful / unhelpful is a useless tool because all people really want is to be helpful and get pissed with the unhelpful. Frankly I was frustrated because of no response just like my previous ticket. The situation with this ticket was detailed in another ticket with @Patrick. There is a bug/usability issue with the settings page and permissions that have got others stuck.

Anyways, I have been a coder, internet entreprenuer, and systems guy for 20 years. We could probably have a good conversation over a beer. The reason I bought the wpmu package was because I am tired of all the above. I want to build my little business model and stop spending time making code work. Thus far WPMU has disappointed. I have submitted a couple of support tickets and found this to be a slow and unproductive path, thus the unhelpful. The quality of some of the plugins are not worth running and the themes are behind most of what is out there right now. I also find that the cohesiveness between apps to be weak and confusing.

Here are a couple of suggestions. Make the WPMU.org a demo of how to use the apps. Show people a much bigger idea of how all your stuff plays together. If you already have this then can you provide links. The support ticketing thing does not work for me. I get one response then nothing.

What is the deal with WHMCS? Is this part of the WPMU group?

Best Regards
    @Hatchman

• aecnu

Greetings Hatchman,

Thank you again for the detailed input which is appreciated and I will pass to my upstream.

Totally understand, agree, and relate to about we could probably have a good conversation over a beer. The reason I bought the wpmu package was because I am tired of all the above.

I want to build my little business model and stop spending time making code work.

Once again totally understand and I realized the coding never ends due to it forever changing to include OS's and so much more to include combinations of plugins and there possible conflicts between themselves and/or themes.

What is the deal with WHMCS?

WHMCS is a product of its own and not related to WPMU DEV if that is what you are referring to.

“WHMCS is an all-in-one client management, billing & support solution for online businesses. Handling everything from signup to termination, WHMCS is a powerful business automation tool that puts you firmly in control” – Matt, WHMCS Founder/Lead Developer

That is what that is about.

Are you still having an issue with the Q&A plugin?

Please advise.

Cheers, Joe

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.