Only Want Users To Have Access To Their Own Blog Not Main Site

I may be overlooking the obvious but I don’t seem to see where I can set the user registration on my main domain not to include access the top level domain blog.

Please advise,

Nick

• Timothy
    • Chief Pigeon

Hi nick, welcome to WPMU Dev!!

Why would you not want them to access your main site and the articles you products?

They are sent to your main blog for the subscription level options.

Are you trying to restrict something in particular? Just wondering what you are try to achieve exactly so I can best advise.

Thanks.

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings :slight_smile:

what about using a maintenance mode plugin with a splash page of your liking just for the site(s) that you do not want them to enter?

http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/wp-maintenance-mode/

and this one below claims site by site and specifically indicates multi site :slight_smile:

http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/wpms-site-maintenance-mode/

This seems simple enough and can be used on any site you want :slight_smile:

Joe :slight_smile:

• Nick Simpson
    • The Incredible Code Injector

Just don’t want other users to be able to post new blog posts on the main domain, just the subdomain they register. It would seem that any user can make posts on the sections of the main domain blog that were setup for site only updates and so on.

• Timothy
    • Chief Pigeon

Hey Nixwebo

Just don’t want other users to be able to post new blog posts on the main domain, just the subdomain they register. It would seem that any user can make posts on the sections of the main domain blog that were setup for site only updates and so on.

All users registering to your site will be given only subscriber access, so they won’t be able to post on your main site unless you have given them higher permissions or use a plugin which does so.

If they create a site as Joe mentioned then they will be the admin of their own website.

Take care.

• Nick Simpson

It’s only one user, but he was able to post on the main sites blog unmoderated. I wander if his account was there before I threw the mu install switch?

I will keep an eye on this and let you know if I see any others come through….Thanks for all your fast responses and useful information.

– Nick

• Timothy
    • Chief Pigeon

Hey Nick.

It’s only one user, but he was able to post on the main sites blog unmoderated. I wander if his account was there before I threw the mu install switch?

He would only have been there with permission if he was granted access. Default user role regardless of it being a single install or a multisite is “Subscriber”.

I presume you are on the latest versions for security reasons?

Take care.

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings nixwebo :slight_smile:

you are probably spot on there that they were a straggler from before.

I say this due to I suspect that the privileges granted are similar to those granted when a user has plugins and themes activated but when deactivated from the network admin they still have the plugins and theme.

but that is a whole different Ball Game and I am happy to hear that you got it sorted out.

Joe :slight_smile:

• Nick Simpson

Thanks for all your help guys. I am having another weird issue that may be related to installing to much crap before I threw the mu switch. Let me know if you have any quick ideas or if I should make a new post in an appropriate thread….

I have the Social theme running on the site and part of the settings on the theme allow you to change the colors of the admin bar, this was working and is no longer. Any ideas where to start with that one? I have updated the theme just the other day with the new rev pushed out and I can see the color pickers fine, just nothing happens when I save them. I am afraid to do the reset at the bottom of the theme settings, will this blow out plugin/widget configuration or just the data in the theme settings tab?

Cheers,

Nick

• Timothy
    • Chief Pigeon

Hey Nick.

Are the settings not saved when you refresh the page then?

Best way to debug first is to deactivate all your plugins and then see if it works or not. If it does then re-activate each one, one at a time until you find the culprit causing the problem.

Can you also confirm which Social Theme you are using? Just want to be sure as there are a ton of themes with similar names. :slight_smile:

Take care.

• Nick Simpson

Disabling all plugins took away one of the color sliders. When I tried to set the admin bar color from the theme options editor, it still did not work. Re-activated plugins, now I am getting the following errors at the top of my admin pages:

Has the call to <?php wp_head(); ?> but it is not called directly before </head>

Has the call to <?php wp_footer(); ?> but it is not called directly before </body>

Please advise,

Nick

• Nick Simpson

Disabled pro sites and the same message shows at the top, I got a notification to get the wpmu dev update plugin updated, so let me do that and update any other plugins that this brings to my attention and see what happens and I’ll post back here what goes down.

Nick

• Timothy
    • Chief Pigeon

Disabled pro sites and the same message shows at the top

Shouldn’t be this plugin causing the issue then.

I suppose disable each other plugin, one by one. Then test again after each one until the issue resolves.

If you have other plugins which need updating, then it will be worth upgrading those as well.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.