OOps ... lost admin rights

Hi,

I was playing around with the membership plugin with the syudio theme on a normal WP install (no buddy or multisite) (this is my first ever wordpress site ... so no experience at all ... ahhh).

Looks like I lost all admin access rights for my account (I do still have access to the membership plugin and I am in the admin group and my level has the associated WP role "Administrator" ... I ticked all things to the positive rules ... and stillnot working. Meaning I can't change the studio template anymore and all these nice things.

I also disabled and disabled the plugin ... and ohoh ... changed even the foldername of the plugin to get rid of it ... no result ... I changed it back and it is still the same now.

I do not have a backup ... (haha ... my first site ... just playing around . Should learn this first ... haha.
Hope there is an easy solution ... otherwise I will wipe the whole thing ...

Souri

• Jonathan

Okay, I take it you made yourself a subscriber / author / contributor / other
    You definitely aren't the first, and won't be the last - we have all done it at least once

This is what you (or someone else) need to do:
    1. login to your database with phpmyadmin if you have it.
    2. Find your admin user, get the user_id for it - probably 1.
    3. Go to the wp_usermeta table and look for the options wp_capabilities and wp_user_level
    image is a little outdated, but to give you an idea: http://images.tipsandtricks-hq.com/forum-images/user_meta.JPG
    4. Set the wp_user_level line to 0.
    5. Set the wp_capabilities line to
    a:1:{s:13:"administrator";s:1:"1";}

In fact a member did this the other day... let me find the discussion....
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/protected-content

Hope that helps,
    Jonathan

Edit: Just re-read - sorry trying to understand? Oh, I'm not a support staff, just a member like you
    Let's see if we can get you sorted - or at least half way there until a support staff comes along

Does your username still have administrator rights? If so, forget what I said before.

What is it exactly you can't, or think you should be able to do?

My confusion is that you say

Looks like I lost all admin access rights for my account (I do still have access to the membership plugin and I am in the admin group and my level has the associated WP role "Administrator" ... I ticked all things to the positive rules ... and stillnot working. Meaning I can't change the studio template anymore and all these nice things.

You lost admin access - can't login?
    I do still have access to membership plugin - can you see the Membership tab?
    my level has the associated wp role 'administrator' - Is your user account still administrator?

Jonathan

• miss2s

Thanks a lot for your help . Sounds not that easy ... but I think I stuffed it up big time ... haha.

I think I am not advanced yet to follow all that (it is only a first play website ... so not that important to me ...). Learning it at the moment ...
    (I leave the site where it is ... and will try it when I know how to figure out all the database stuff). Hehe ... will read some manuals first.).

(FYI: All my admin rights are gone ... so my user can't install plugins, change the template, see the normal WP users (Appearance, Plugins, Users) ...

Thanks a lot.

• Jonathan

Okay, So you've lost your admin rights...

So what I said first, is what you need to do;
    The Set the wp_capabilities line to
    a:1:{s:13:"administrator";s:1:"1";}

If the site is just play, play... can I encourage you to play, play create your admin account like I said first - laugh. Reason is you will at some point in the future need to make changes via phpadmin etc and a little bit of experience helps.

And yes, google - find all the manuals you can / make lots of mistakes - it's the best way to learn.

Also, google, install wordpress on local machine using wamp. This creates a play play environment on your computer. Great way to play with database's and themes etc without being on a server or with a live site

Anyways, I hope you make lots of mistakes (the best way to learn)
    And, don't be afriad - even though I know you will be, remember - if you broke it, you can fix it. The only thing that can't be fixed is deleted content. So backups are very, very important
    Jonathan

• miss2s

Fully agree ... that is why I have the playsite before I redo the site for my business. Takes a while .... Like the idea with local installs ...as I plan to have a few sites I always want to try a new plugin on a copy and not on a live site ...

I also setup a automatic backup already on the new site ... Will now learn to reinstall it from the backup to see if it is working.

I will make a lot of mistakes ... I am 100% of that ... haha.

• yellowarrior

@Jonathon Thanks for the quick fix tip.

Just a note for those reading this entire thread: If you implement the DB fix mentioned above and only get partial admin features back in your WP admin area, make sure you go to Memberships > All Members and drop your (admin) account from whatever subscription you accidentally added, then go back to your DB and re-check your wp_capabilities to make sure it is set to the line provided above.