OOps ... lost admin rights

Hi,

I was playing around with the membership plugin with the syudio theme on a normal WP install (no buddy or multisite) (this is my first ever wordpress site ... so no experience at all ... ahhh).

Looks like I lost all admin access rights for my account (I do still have access to the membership plugin and I am in the admin group and my level has the associated WP role "Administrator" ... I ticked all things to the positive rules ... and stillnot working. Meaning I can't change the studio template anymore and all these nice things.

I also disabled and disabled the plugin ... and ohoh ... changed even the foldername of the plugin to get rid of it ... no result ... I changed it back and it is still the same now.

I do not have a backup ... (haha ... my first site ... just playing around . Should learn this first ... haha.
Hope there is an easy solution ... otherwise I will wipe the whole thing ...

Souri

Jonathan

Okay, I take it you made yourself a subscriber / author / contributor / other
    You definitely aren't the first, and won't be the last - we have all done it at least once

This is what you (or someone else) need to do:
    1. login to your database with phpmyadmin if you have it.
    2. Find your admin user, get the user_id for it - probably 1.
    3. Go to the wp_usermeta table and look for the options wp_capabilities and wp_user_level
    image is a little outdated, but to give you an idea: http://images.tipsandtricks-hq.com/forum-images/user_meta.JPG
    4. Set the wp_user_level line to 0.
    5. Set the wp_capabilities line to
    a:1:{s:13:"administrator";s:1:"1";}

In fact a member did this the other day... let me find the discussion....
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/protected-content

Hope that helps,
    Jonathan

Edit: Just re-read - sorry trying to understand? Oh, I'm not a support staff, just a member like you
    Let's see if we can get you sorted - or at least half way there until a support staff comes along

Does your username still have administrator rights? If so, forget what I said before.

What is it exactly you can't, or think you should be able to do?

My confusion is that you say

Looks like I lost all admin access rights for my account (I do still have access to the membership plugin and I am in the admin group and my level has the associated WP role "Administrator" ... I ticked all things to the positive rules ... and stillnot working. Meaning I can't change the studio template anymore and all these nice things.

You lost admin access - can't login?
    I do still have access to membership plugin - can you see the Membership tab?
    my level has the associated wp role 'administrator' - Is your user account still administrator?

Jonathan

miss2s

Thanks a lot for your help . Sounds not that easy ... but I think I stuffed it up big time ... haha.

I think I am not advanced yet to follow all that (it is only a first play website ... so not that important to me ...). Learning it at the moment ...
    (I leave the site where it is ... and will try it when I know how to figure out all the database stuff). Hehe ... will read some manuals first.).

(FYI: All my admin rights are gone ... so my user can't install plugins, change the template, see the normal WP users (Appearance, Plugins, Users) ...

Thanks a lot.

Jonathan

Okay, So you've lost your admin rights...

So what I said first, is what you need to do;
    The Set the wp_capabilities line to
    a:1:{s:13:"administrator";s:1:"1";}

If the site is just play, play... can I encourage you to play, play create your admin account like I said first - laugh. Reason is you will at some point in the future need to make changes via phpadmin etc and a little bit of experience helps.

And yes, google - find all the manuals you can / make lots of mistakes - it's the best way to learn.

Also, google, install wordpress on local machine using wamp. This creates a play play environment on your computer. Great way to play with database's and themes etc without being on a server or with a live site

Anyways, I hope you make lots of mistakes (the best way to learn)
    And, don't be afriad - even though I know you will be, remember - if you broke it, you can fix it. The only thing that can't be fixed is deleted content. So backups are very, very important
    Jonathan

miss2s

Fully agree ... that is why I have the playsite before I redo the site for my business. Takes a while .... Like the idea with local installs ...as I plan to have a few sites I always want to try a new plugin on a copy and not on a live site ...

I also setup a automatic backup already on the new site ... Will now learn to reinstall it from the backup to see if it is working.

I will make a lot of mistakes ... I am 100% of that ... haha.

yellowarrior

@Jonathon Thanks for the quick fix tip.

Just a note for those reading this entire thread: If you implement the DB fix mentioned above and only get partial admin features back in your WP admin area, make sure you go to Memberships > All Members and drop your (admin) account from whatever subscription you accidentally added, then go back to your DB and re-check your wp_capabilities to make sure it is set to the line provided above.