OpenGraph Description

Where does the plugin pull og:description information from? I use the All-In-One SEO Pack and have filled in the description in that metabox. Before activating OpenGraph functionality, Facebook would pick up that text as the og:description (inferred).

With the plugin activated, it appears to grab the first words of the post.

Is there a way to have it pull from the description provided by the SEO pack (or even not attempt to designate a description, allowing it to infer as before)?

Otherwise, what standard WP field would be best to use? Excerpt (assuming it in use elsewhere in my theme)?

Thanks,
Brandon

• aecnu

Greetings Kraft,

Thank you for being a WPMU Dev member!

It can be pretty challenging to support other peoples work, but we do our best here to help you with any WordPress issues at all, so let's see what we can do!

It appears that you are referring to All-In-One SEO Pack?

What I will do is ask our lead developer if they can see any specific issues that could be causing this and/or offer any advice that may get this sorted for you.

Of course this can take a bit longer than a regular support ticket - so if you could post any progress you have trying to debug the problem here too in the meantime that would really help.

Looking forward to sorting out your issue for you and thanks again for being a WPMU DEV member.

Cheers, Joe :slight_smile:

• Kraft

Waiting to hear back from WPMU re the contact with the lead developer.

It appears that the OpenGraph description pulls from the first XX number of characters/words, without regard to All-in-One SEO pack (which I can understand) or the manual excerpt.

Ideally, it would be to be able to do one or all of the following:

1. Disable the description from being populated at all (thus leaving Facebook to infer the correct information, which it did via the description meta tag populated by All-in-One SEO)
    2. Pull from the manual excerpt if present.
    3. Pull from meta description tags from other plugins (e.g. All-in-One).

Thanks!

• Arun Basil Lal

Hello Kraft,

I just had a talk with the Developer and he has agreed to include this as a feature in the next update. To be specific, the plugin would pull in the text from the Excerpt box.

Integration with Third Party plugins is not possible, because there are a ton of third party plugins when you think about it, and different users will be using different stuffs.

So as of now, just wait for the next release.

I know this is not resolved, but note has been taken regarding this, so am gonna go ahead and mark this as resolved. Let me know if you have more questions!

Arun Basil Lal

p.s: Thanks for bringing this up, sounds like a really logical thing to have :slight_smile:

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.