Optimisation for high traffic sites

Hi,

I have a few clients who have very high traffic sites. Beginning with client B, he has around 45k visitors per day. His server config is:

X3430 Quad Core Xeon 2.4Ghz 8MB Cache
8GB RAM
2x500GB SATA RAID 1

I have setup W3 Total Cache on all his WP installations but the results are not as satisfactory. The main issue arises when the traffic is at peak.

I wanted to know that would be best methods to optimise WP for high traffic sites to get more speeds and less downtime?

Also, is there any other cache plugin that I should try?

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings Alok,

One item that PC did not mention that is worth noting that since this is a somewhat powerful server and they should have root access to it, during the peak time it is probably i/o access that is slowing them down which of course mirroring raid does not help a bit actually clogging the i/o even more i/o X2.

Can someone perhaps confirm that it is or is not i/o wait state that is the issue here and then we can certainly go forward from there. Logged as root check top during peak and note the i/o wait percentage which is designated as %wa.

Please advise.

Cheers, Joe

• Alok Sharma
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

Hi,

Thanks, this is something that I didn't consider earlier, not sure why.

We don't have the root access but can any time request the host to provide the same. Or may be get on the live chat during the peak hours and ask the host to provide the i/o wait percentage. Either way.

I will post an update once I have the required information.

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings Alok,

Thank you for letting me know and understanding what I am asking for specifically.

I am totally surprised that you folks do not have root access to your own dedicated server.

Looking forward to your findings regarding I/O loads.

Cheers, Joe

• Alok Sharma
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

The server that we have is a managed server that's why the root access is not provided. But root access can be requested from the control panel which then makes the server unmanaged and vice-versa.

I have asked the client to provide the details you asked. I will post an update as soon as I get any information.

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings Alok,

Thank you for letting us know.

This is still a first for me to hear of even a managed dedicated server to not have the root password given, but that is not relevant to the issue here and certainly not causing the issue.

I shall wait for the performance information and thanks again for letting us know.

Cheers, Joe

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings Alok,

We have not heard back from you as to the status of this issue.

If you are still having an issue please let us know so that we may try to get you fixed up as soon as possible by choosing to check mark this ticket as unresolved below and posting any new errors or symptoms you are noticing.

This action will also bring your ticket up front back in plain view again within the ticket system.

Thank you for being a WPMU Dev member!

Cheers, Joe

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.