Optimising/resizing/reducing images - am I missing something?

Hi, I've been using Smush Pro to optimise my images and it's made a big difference, however, the images still seem to be a problem on my site and are what is bringing down both my Google PageSpeed as well as my Performance Report on here. I've also been through the list of images that are listed in the Benchmarks section of the Performance Report and (I think) have made most of them as small as I can, but it is still showing a really low score for this. I am not sure what more I can do with them - they have been smushed, they aren't enormous images size wise (generally no bigger than 300x300px ish), I've saved them in a low-medium or low quality, but it's still saying I can reduce them further.

For example, one of the images listed says this:

Compressing and resizing http://www.essexmums.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/4/2017/01/Organix-Valentines-Day-Hearty-Breakfast.jpg could save 29.6KiB (88% reduction).

I've edited the file and it's the same size as it appears on the website, and has a quality of 5 when I save for web. Plus it's only 13kb in size so I don't know how I could possibly reduce it by 29.6kb! I feel like there must be something I'm missing here!

• Luís

Hi Louise ,

Hope you're doing well today!

I think you are taking the recommendations of our Hummingbird plugin, right? I tried to access to your website to check all the recommendations but I was unable. Could you please revoke and after regrant the support staff access again?

However, the recommendation "Compressing and resizing" is mostly related to the wrong use of the thumbnail size and the resize via HTML or CSS.

Checking the homepage of your site, this is what is happening:

So, you are using a thumbnail with 500x332px and resizing it to 234x155px. This is a bad pratice and you should use a thumbnail with the proper size (in this case with 234x155px) instead of resizing it.

Unfortunately, this is related to your theme, it's not registering the proper thumbnails sizes. It will require some changes in the settings and in the theme markup and you should contact the theme developer if not sure how to do this:

https://developer.wordpress.org/reference/functions/add_image_size/

I hope this information has been helpful. If I can help you in this or other questions, please let me know!

Cheers, Luís

• Luís

Hi Louise ,

Hope you're doing well today!

I give a look on the Performance report from Hummingbird and unfortunately the most recommendations are about the incorrect use of the thumbnails (as I mentioned in my previous reply).

You have also, two more recommendations in this section:

1 and 2) This is related to the full sized images. When you upload an image, WordPress crops and resizes every image, creating different versions of the image (thumbnails). By default, Smush Pro only compresses these thumbnails, not the original full-size images.

You should easily remove this suggestion, enabling the "Include my original full-size images " option in the Smush settings (network admin panel -> Settings--> WP Smush):

I hope this information has been helpful. If I can help you in this or other questions, please let me know!

Cheers, Luís